• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Turambar

I am using Qobuz for around 3 years now. In fact, it's my favorite streaming company.

Price is an issue (it was much more expensive some time ago), catalogue is an issue, facilities like personalized playlists are quite primitive compared to the competition...

However, quality is consistently good, and they are readily available in the "audiophile" segment.

Right now, it's the only streamer that is using WiiM capabilities to its full extent, working with no problems up to 24 bits / 192 kHz.

I agree that, in terms of developing new features, the priority for Qobuz should be Qobuz Connect.

Nonick

As i received WiiM Mini on May 20th, there was a rolling inside device. Sounded like a small plastic part broken inside and rolling inside case.
A few days later when i tried to plug the device in SPDIF port, a broken plastic piece fell out from device. Its not from SPDIF doors, it looks like a "holder".
It is an error with production/assembly of device.
Playback and device is functional, except for the broken piece (for 115EUR it's not acceptable for broken plastic pieces to fall out from device).
wiim1.jpgwiim2.jpg

Brantome

Major Contributor
As i received WiiM Mini on May 20th, there was a rolling inside device. Sounded like a small plastic part broken inside and rolling inside case.
A few days later when i tried to plug the device in SPDIF port, a broken plastic piece fell out from device. Its not from SPDIF doors, it looks like a "holder".
It is an error with production/assembly of device.
Playback and device is functional, except for the broken piece (for 115EUR it's not acceptable for broken plastic pieces to fall out from device).
View attachment 210525View attachment 210526
Return it to the supplier for a replacement if you’re concerned - looks like one of the clips that might hold the body of the unit together

Brantome

Major Contributor
Well finally signed up for a Qobuz trial and did an extensive A/B Test between Amazon HD and Qobuz.... Tested on my 3 systems and including headphones from Android phone with both Apps...
To my ears there is ZERO difference in the sound quality between the 2, both sound better than Tidal to me. Amazon wins out simply that it's app is available on all of my devices, is a touch cheaper and the playlists to me seem a bit better.
Qobuz needs to be available everywhere, it's not.
Unless you have the beta firmware that supports the lossless Amazon Music HD service, you’ll have been listening to lossy Amazon Music SD tracks, not lossless 16 bit HD nor 24 bit UHD tracks

Music1969

Major Contributor
Is @Brantome the only person currently testing the beta for casting Amazon UHD?

I know a couple of people are still waiting to get the firmware, which hopefully comes soon to you.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Is @Brantome the only person currently testing the beta for casting Amazon UHD?

I know a couple of people are still waiting to get the firmware, which hopefully comes soon to you.
I’m sure at least a couple of others said they had got it before I did - they posted the instructions on using it iirc, but I haven’t seen anyone else but me reporting back on it. WiiM did say they had hoped to fix some issues and send me a new beta and details of what they had fixed by the end of the week, but I’ve heard nothing as yet.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I’m sure at least a couple of others said they had got it before I did - they posted the instructions on using it iirc, but I haven’t seen anyone else but me reporting back on it. WiiM did say they had hoped to fix some issues and send me a new beta and details of what they had fixed by the end of the week, but I’ve heard nothing as yet.
Cool. My unit arrives next week. Can't wait to test and report bugs.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I saw @John Atkinson mentioned he will be reviewing this for Stereophile

I know JA uses Roon and this WiiM Mini doesn't support Roon or even Chromecast (which Roon could play to).

So I can't imagine he'll be that impressed with it.

If I were JA I would wait a few months for the Amazon Music HD casting and Tidal MQA Core Decode features to come to the Wiim Mini.

I think that might impress more than a review done today.

You never know - over the next 3 months Roon may come and even Spotify HiFi and Qobuz Connect and Hi-Res Airplay might appear out of nowhere :D

Any/all of these would completely change the review

Brantome

Major Contributor
I saw @John Atkinson mentioned he will be reviewing this for Stereophile

I know JA uses Roon and this WiiM Mini doesn't support Roon or even Chromecast (which Roon could play to).

So I can't imagine he'll be that impressed with it.

If I were JA I would wait a few months for the Amazon Music HD casting and Tidal MQA Core Decode features to come to the Wiim Mini.

I think that might impress more than a review done today.

You never know - over the next 3 months Roon may come and even Spotify HiFi and Qobuz Connect and Hi-Res Airplay might appear out of nowhere :D

Any/all of these would completely change the review

I’d tend to agree for the review to wait a few months, although for me Roon support won’t make any difference as I’ll be using AMHD that Roon appears to have a snowball’s chance in hell of ever supporting. I appreciate Tidal and Qobuz users will welcome Roon support though. A review at this stage will be at best a “shows potential” imho…

Music1969

Major Contributor
I appreciate Tidal and Qobuz users will welcome Roon support though. A review at this stage will be at best a “shows potential” imho…

With Qobuz Connect and Tidal Connect, the value of Roon reduces quite a bit I reckon - for new users especially and maybe even for yearly subscribers.

Probably the lifetime users will stick with Roon.

Even Spotify HiFi and Hi-Res Airplay would all affect Roon new subscribers.

Scot_Douglas

I request the beta once every few days. Have gotten zero response back. :|

Music1969

Major Contributor
I agree that, in terms of developing new features, the priority for Qobuz should be Qobuz Connect.
If someone really wants to just use the Qobuz app on iPad/Android and wants up to 24/96 with optical output, I can't recommend the now discontinued Chromecast Audio enough

The only 'downsides' which will probably be sorted when Qobuz Connect launches, is:

1. 'limited' to 192kHz with Chromecast and
2. no gapless playback at the moment with Chromecast.
3. I guess another downside with Chromecast Audio is it has been discontinued, so you can't go to a local shop and have warranty peace of mind.

I'm using it right now with Qobuz and it's flawless up to 24/96kHz with optical output

mhecimovic

This is exactly how it's supposed to work right now.

WiiM doesn't have ability at the moment to do that first unfold to 96k in your 48k example.

The WiiM app can't show anything more than 48kHz because it has no idea what you have connected to it, whether it's an MQA or non-MQA DAC.
Why this is not working with Topping E50? On Topping E50 I can see just 44 or 48 kHz.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Why this is not working with Topping E50? On Topping E50 I can see just 44 or 48 kHz.
Look at the product page for E50.

Optical input is only 'renderer' - which means it needs the streamer/PC/Mac to do the first 'unfold'.

At the moment the WiiM Mini doesn't do this. Was discussed a few pages back.

Some products can do full decode on optical input but not E50

This is what product page shows for E50:
1654265428215.png

Last edited:

mhecimovic

I was sure WiiM will be able to do first unfold after this update, but it looks like it is not like that! I read it somewhere here in this topic!

Can we expect, in near future, WiiM will be able to do first unfold?

hatedmass

Hello newbie.
I don’t really understand why Tidal doesn’t make the first unfold when running on the streaming devices. Via smartphones the app makes the first unfold If I’m not mistaken.
is it an issue of hardware requirement For the mqa decoding software?

Top Bottom