• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

telemike

I bought the WIIM for Amazon music as with a RPi I would have to use Airplay with Volumio.

flz

That happened because of poor implementation of digital volume control which affected performance over SPDIF. It is something that you don't see often, but it is of course possible.
The Andover & AudioEngine models reviewed by Amir don't have adjustable volume! So what do you mean by 'digital volume control'?

thorvat

The Andover & AudioEngine models reviewed by Amir don't have adjustable volume! So what do you mean by 'digital volume control'?

Most of the USB to SPDIF interfaces implement some kind of digital volume control and I cannot think of any other reason why would properly implemented USB to SPDIF bridge cause any measurable additional distortion when implemented properly when signal is routed over SPDIF to external DAC. And today it is very easy and cheap to implement such bridge properly.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some of you insist that streamers wont have a sound difference when using the optical out to an external DAC. But look at post #42 of this thread. Amir's tests clearly show differences in streamers even when using optical out to external DACs, with some streamers performing very poorly.

Audibility is not addressed though. In evaluating this $89 streamer with so many cool functions one might consider its (presumed) measured weaknesses with the question of audibility in mind.

Last edited:

mateolo2

I am still working through stuff that has come earlier. Let me see if I can get it done in a week to 10 days.
Amirm - one more thing. In your test please focus mostly on digital output - we all consider this device only this way but all reviews in tej internet talking only about internal dac :(

ClassicGuy

Amirm - one more thing. In your test please focus mostly on digital output - we all consider this device only this way but all reviews in tej internet talking only about internal dac :(
Is the internal DAC quite bad?

d3miller

Hi,

I was thinking about adding node 2i to my system as digital transport to my dac. But with wiim mini i can have exactly the same for 1/5 price of node. It will be any sound difference When using optical out only? I know about difference in clocks, but really it will be any notacible difference? @amirm we are waiting for your test and advice! Thanks
I returned my node 2i for the Wiim. The main reason was I was having issues with network connectivity, which I didn't have with the Wiim. However, it turned out to be my router as I had similar issues with other devices. But even still, I didn't need a lot of the other features of the Node, and Wiim satisfies all my needs at a fraction of the price.

mateolo2

I returned my node 2i for the Wiim. The main reason was I was having issues with network connectivity, which I didn't have with the Wiim. However, it turned out to be my router as I had similar issues with other devices. But even still, I didn't need a lot of the other features of the Node, and Wiim satisfies all my needs at a fraction of the price.
Are you using it with external dac? Can you hear any difference between Node and wiim via digital?

mateolo2

Is the internal DAC quite bad?
No, its Ok for the money. But we mostly consider this device with external dacs and compere it to 4-5x more expensive devices. It very hard to find a streamer with Good dac for lets say under 500€.

Reactions: flz

d3miller

Are you using it with external dac? Can you hear any difference between Node and wiim via digital?
External DAC - Topping D30 Pro. I honestly don't think there is a noticeable difference. I had the Node doing RCA out to my speakers, also did optical out to a MiniDSP. I think the only audible difference (to me) is when I turned Dirac on. I don't recall any noticeable difference between Wiim, Node 2i DAC, Node 2i --> MiniDSP DAC, and even my current Wiim --> ML Unison (ARC) --> Topping D30 Pro chain, other than when room correction is turned on (and at that point, it's no longer the DAC that is making the audible difference)

id.ray

I am still working through stuff that has come earlier. Let me see if I can get it done in a week to 10 days.

Can you test the the "tidal connect" aspect using this album you found for the Chromecast audio. I'm really hoping this little nugget is a solution to the bluesound node. So I can go straight from Wiim Toslink out to something like the like the Topping E50 and get all the benefits of gapless and great reproduction

Thank you so much for everything you do for the audiophile community

amirm said:
Wow, I found such a title! https://listen.tidal.com/album/29581889

Will do some testing tomorrow.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Can you test the the "tidal connect" aspect using this album you found for the Chromecast audio. I'm really hoping this little nugget is a solution to the bluesound node. So I can go straight from Wiim Toslink out to something like the like the Topping E50 and get all the benefits of gapless and great reproduction

Thank you so much for everything you do for the audiophile community

amirm said:
Wow, I found such a title! https://listen.tidal.com/album/29581889

Will do some testing tomorrow.

That would be a great test. Unfortunately, it was never done for the Chromecast Audio.

mateolo2

External DAC - Topping D30 Pro. I honestly don't think there is a noticeable difference. I had the Node doing RCA out to my speakers, also did optical out to a MiniDSP. I think the only audible difference (to me) is when I turned Dirac on. I don't recall any noticeable difference between Wiim, Node 2i DAC, Node 2i --> MiniDSP DAC, and even my current Wiim --> ML Unison (ARC) --> Topping D30 Pro chain, other than when room correction is turned on (and at that point, it's no longer the DAC that is making the audible difference)
Thats amazing News!!! Maybe really we Have Node killer …

Top Bottom