• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

crowdypooster

I received a communication from Linkplay, I believe the parent company of Wiim. They indicate that high resolution playback through Tidal Connect should be available with this device in April as an update.

That would be a game changer for me.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I received a communication from Linkplay, I believe the parent company of Wiim. They indicate that high resolution playback through Tidal Connect should be available with this device in April as an update.

That would be a game changer for me.
From the manual:
Audio Sound Quality Audio Input: up to 192 kHz, 24-bit
Audio Output: 48 kHz, 16-bit, CD quality

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
From the manual:
Audio Sound Quality Audio Input: up to 192 kHz, 24-bit
Audio Output: 48 kHz, 16-bit, CD quality
Recent firmware update now has optical output up to 24/192, at least for some inputs.

E619D4B4-276C-427E-82F9-60857D8F66EC.png

SunnyRehde

Forum Donor
I recently reduced my setup to this chain: WiiM Mini (Tidal Connect) -> Topping E50 DAC -> Topping PA5! (plus speakers of course).
It's simply jaw-dropping what a high level of performance can be achieved nowadays, investing less than a grand just in the right equipment.

Amir's work has been a true game changer in this context. Thanks a shrillion!!

thorvat

Hi,

Is there any chance that a (very much) more expensive streamer can have any advantage in audio quality? Or only snakeoil?
Just speaking about digital out, not the DAC inside the streamer.

Cheers
Mario

No, more expensive streamer won't have any advantage in sound quality when using digital out to your DAC.

flz

No, more expensive streamer won't have any advantage in sound quality when using digital out to your DAC.
So you mean that assuming the content file is the same and the external DAC is the same, all streamers sound the same in terms of sound quality when using the digital out to an external DAC? No difference between a $99 streamer and a US$10K one? Not trying to start a heated discussion, just a honest question.

thorvat

So you mean that assuming the content file is the same and the external DAC is the same, all streamers sound the same in terms of sound quality when using the digital out to an external DAC? No difference between a $99 streamer and a US$10K one? Not trying to start a heated discussion, just a honest question.

Yes, I do. You will find quite a number of measurements on this site supporting my opinion.

telemike

Questions:

On IOS iphone, when using tidal connect, does the lockscreen show what's pop laying?

Is Amazon ultra hd available yet?

id.ray

When using tidal connect, can the mini output mqa through toslink?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
When using tidal connect, can the mini output mqa through toslink?

telemike

Ordered one. After Amazon ultra hd is supported I'll get a topping dac

flz

Wiim seems totally committed to software upgrades for this $99 device, and the upgrades are super easy to implement from the app on your smartphone/tablet. Just incredible!

mateolo2

Hi,

I was thinking about adding node 2i to my system as digital transport to my dac. But with wiim mini i can have exactly the same for 1/5 price of node. It will be any sound difference When using optical out only? I know about difference in clocks, but really it will be any notacible difference? @amirm we are waiting for your test and advice! Thanks

Top Bottom