• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Brantome

Major Contributor
Can you provide image on amazon music what’s look like?
It looks no different on the amazon music app from you casting to any other device, it’s just the target device name that changes. As with any casting from amazon music, that app doesn’t show you what resolution it’s casting in, nor is that info (yet?) showing in the WiiM app.

Music1969

Major Contributor
As with any casting from amazon music, that app doesn’t show you what resolution it’s casting in
Can you play a 24/88.2 or 96k track and show a screenshot of this screen?

1653729734150.png

Brantome

Major Contributor
How do I get the whitelist on amazon via wiim apps? Or do you use other email?
The ‘whitelist’ is a list maintained by the WiiM development team of the MAC addresses of WiiM Mini devices that are eligible to have the beta firmware loaded on to them for the purpose of testing the beta software. You need to ask the WiiM team to be out on that list. However, if testing goes well, there may well be a general beta release to all users by 5/31 as per their website. Given it’s now the weekend, I’d just wait for a few more days and you might get it anyway without having to ask.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Can you play a 24/88.2 or 96k track and show a screenshot of this screen?
Sure, it shows exactly what I’d expect when casting I.e. no resolution info. Here are the screenshots when playing normally and when casting, including a screenshot of the Linn app resolution info

Attachments

• FD7696F0-B7FA-4176-9D12-ACEF18478914.jpeg
    FD7696F0-B7FA-4176-9D12-ACEF18478914.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 9D1D4AB2-1EC7-4C20-BF80-56F5C012AD07.jpeg
    9D1D4AB2-1EC7-4C20-BF80-56F5C012AD07.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 536DA2CB-92EB-414D-A609-D09F51F5755A.jpeg
    536DA2CB-92EB-414D-A609-D09F51F5755A.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 125

Music1969

Major Contributor
Sure, it shows exactly what I’d expect when casting I.e. no resolution info. Here are the screenshots when playing normally and when casting, including a screenshot of the Linn app resolution info
Thanks but also damn... so you have to trust the output sample rate from the WiiM Mini that goes to your DAC.

I've never had any Alexa casting devices, so lack of sample rate info in Amazon app is new to me.

That's not WiiM's fault obviously but kind of sucks (Amazon's fault)

I've always used Amazon Music HD app on iOS direct to USB DAC via Apple lightning to USB adapter.

I guess with enough testing (turning off casting to verify track sample rate) I would be able to come to trust the correct sample rate is exiting WiiM Mini, going to external DAC.

I guess that's what you'll be doing now and so far, so good?

Witterings

Thanks. I just ordered my WiiM Mini.

It will be buggy for the next weeks but I've seen enough of WiiM Support working really hard and fast to squash bugs.

Casting from iPad and correct sample rates reaching your DAC - that's exactly what we've been hoping for and it's here now (beta testing)

Forget "Ghost Busters" ... we now have WiiM Support - The Bug Busters :p

Brantome

Major Contributor
Thanks but also damn... so you have to trust the output sample rate from the WiiM Mini that goes to your DAC.

I've never had any Alexa casting devices, so lack of sample rate info in Amazon app is new to me.

That's not WiiM's fault obviously but kind of sucks (Amazon's fault)

I've always used Amazon Music HD app on iOS direct to USB DAC via Apple lightning to USB adapter.

I guess with enough testing (turning off casting to verify track sample rate) I would be able to come to trust the correct sample rate is exiting WiiM Mini, going to external DAC.

I guess that's what you'll be doing now and so far, so good?
Indeed, so far, so good :)

In fact, this is the first time I’ve ever seen a UHD badge in the alexa app now playing screen…

Attachments

• B64EED76-0A3D-4706-840C-4C2F5723DBBD.jpeg
    B64EED76-0A3D-4706-840C-4C2F5723DBBD.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 92

Music1969

Major Contributor
Indeed, so far, so good :)

In fact, this is the first time I’ve ever seen a UHD badge in the alexa app now playing screen…
Wonderful.

I remember you wrote that you were regretting buying the WiiM Mini (based on Amazon UHD promises by WiiM) - but I'm sure today you're smiling.

There'll be some bugs. Please do report them ! I'll do thorough testing myself when my unit arrives.

WiiM app showing sample rate and bitrate would be enough for me. I'll have to make a request but everybody else please do the same to WiiM Support !

I imagine WiiM will be quicker than Amazon adding this info to their app lol

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wiim has manage to bring features at low price. Who would want to buy expensive streamer now?

Brantome

Major Contributor
Wonderful.

I remember you wrote that you were regretting buying the WiiM Mini (based on Amazon UHD promises by WiiM) - but I'm sure today you're smiling.

There'll be some bugs. Please do report them ! I'll do thorough testing myself when my unit arrives.

WiiM app showing sample rate and bitrate would be enough for me. I'll have to make a request but everybody else please do the same to WiiM Support !

I imagine WiiM will be quicker than Amazon adding this info to their app lol
Yeah, I was just on a bit of a general downer that day…

I fully intend to report any issues I find to WiiM once I get a chance to do some proper testing - part of the issue is that I find the amazon music app itself can be temperamental, especially on android, but I’m sure WiiM will recognise whether an issue is something they can deal with or pass on to Amazon.

morillon

Major Contributor
as shown by all this constantly pointed mess that occupies all..
we can indeed only hope, and we have been pointing it out for weeks, that the actual bitrate will be indicated in real time...
(in my opinion output on the toslink
can be in "audio settings" ( the data concerning the audio input and output "audio status"?) , as we can observe the wifi rssi tx in the menu "wifi status")
getting a bit urgent...
;-)

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
we can indeed only hope, and we have been pointing it out for weeks, that the actual bitrate will be indicated in real time...
No need to hope.

Need to send an email to WiiM and ask for it.

It's better if 50 people ask them, instead of just me.

[email protected]

More chance of something happening ;-)

Merifon

Strangely, wiim has just updated firmware, while it was streaming with Tidal hifi.
I feared was a failure, since here it is GMT +1
Fw 4.6.418249 20220527

ccristal

Do you guys see the Wiim Mini in the Amazon Music app for Windows, in the "Available devices" list, even before the Amazon HD firmware update? I don't... :-(
1653738839601.png

But it does show up on the Amazon Music Android app, and from there I can cast without any problems.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Do you guys see the Wiim Mini in the Amazon Music app for Windows, in the "Available devices" list, even before the Amazon HD firmware update? I don't... :-(
View attachment 209430

But it does show up on the Amazon Music Android app, and from there I can cast without any problems.

The amazon music app on windows doesn’t support casting at all

Brantome

Major Contributor
Strangely, wiim has just updated firmware, while it was streaming with Tidal hifi.
I feared was a failure, since here it is GMT +1
Fw 4.6.418249 20220527
I’m still on .418247 playing amazon music hd. Did you ask to be on the whitelist?

Witterings

The amazon music app on windows doesn’t support casting at all

Personally I think it's a shame as I'm not a big phone / tablet user .... can sliterally be switched off for week at a time but where I listed to music most there's a laptop that's virtually permanently on.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Any idea if the macOS app does? If you had a Mac in the house to test.

I would guess no but thought I'd ask.
I don’t have macOS, but only iOS and Android are mentioned as casting platforms - guess it depends how close macOS is to iOS and if the amazon music app can tell the difference. Good question, and my gut feeling is that it won’t cast from MacOS otherwise it would have been mentioned somewhere :(

Top Bottom