• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Music1969

Major Contributor
Regarding MQA, decoding is done on the fly, so decision if the song can be fully unfolded or not must be made at the very beginning.
There is no decoding done by WiiM Mini yet.

WiiM Mini passes the bits to MQA DAC - MQA DAC will only show MQA if the bits have not been touched by the source.

If you do even 0.1dB of digital volume reduction, it fails.

This and RME test is enough for me not to worry about bit perfect.

Turambar

In my opinion the answer is yet, and 100% definitive. :)

I ran Qobuz, for instance, and when I see in Qobuz a file in 24 bits / 192 kHz, the DAC is reporting exactly that. The logical thing for WiiM Mini is just to take the file as it is in Qobuz, not to do anything fancy with the content, but then transmit to the DAC the correct bit-depth and sample rate. I can't understand why there can be still any debate about that.

morillon

Major Contributor
if there is a decompression mpg aac flac etc.. it is the wiim that does it.. right?
not just a simple footbridge very often...

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
There is no decoding done by WiiM Mini yet.

WiiM Mini passes the bits to MQA DAC - MQA DAC will only show MQA if the bits have not been touched by the source.

If you do even 0.1dB of digital volume reduction, it fails.

This and RME test is enough for me not to worry about bit perfect.
I was referring to the decoding being made by a MQA decoder, when MQA stream is delivered to it without first unfold. It is not buffered first then decoded, it's being decoded on the fly instead. So the decision if MQA decoding is possible must be made very early.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
In my opinion the answer is yet, and 100% definitive. :)

I ran Qobuz, for instance, and when I see in Qobuz a file in 24 bits / 192 kHz, the DAC is reporting exactly that. The logical thing for WiiM Mini is just to take the file as it is in Qobuz, not to do anything fancy with the content, but then transmit to the DAC the correct bit-depth and sample rate. I can't understand why there can be still any debate about that.
Unaltered bit depth and sample rate doesn't mean unaltered RAW source data during decoding.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I was referring to the decoding being made by a MQA decoder, when MQA stream is delivered to it without first unfold. It is not buffered first then decoded, it's being decoded on the fly instead. So the decision if MQA decoding is possible must be made very early.
Yes but on the fly, I reduce source app digital volume and MQA decoding on the DAC fails.

I set volume of source app to max, and MQA decoding passes.

That's a pretty good bit perfect test, no?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Yes but on the fly, I reduce source app digital volume and MQA decoding on the DAC fails.

I set volume of source app to max, and MQA decoding passes.

That's a pretty good bit perfect test, no?
Not exactly, as I have no idea how sensitive for changes in data is MQA decoder during the decoding process. Will it stop decoding or at least will it indicate an issue when you'd change a single bit in a raw pcm stream?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Not exactly, as I have no idea how sensitive for changes in data is MQA decoder during the decoding process. Will it stop decoding or at least will it indicate an issue when you'd change a single bit in a raw pcm stream?
It's a fair question but I've seen enough with 2 methods to be satisfied.

I could try DTS too I guess.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It's a fair question but I've seen enough with 2 methods to be satisfied.

I could try DTS too I guess.
I'm just looking for hard proofs here on ASR, not for acts of faith. Unfortunately I don't have an equipment to make a proper test with recording and comparing myself.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I'm just looking for hard proofs here on ASR, not for acts of faith.
Well ASR's Chief uses an RME ADI-2 daily. It is one of the favourites on this forum.

I trust RME's bit perfect tester - after all, it is the FPGA that confirms bit perfectness passing/failing.

Maybe even all of Amir's measurements are not to be believed until somebody else buys an APx555 to cross check everything?

It's healthy to question everything to a certain extent but how deep does one want to go ?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Well ASR's Chief uses an RME ADI-2 daily. It is one of the favourites on this forum.

I trust RME's bit perfect tester - after all, it is the FPGA that confirms bit perfectness passing/failing.

Maybe even all of Amir's measurements are not to be believed until somebody else buys an APx555 to cross check everything?

It's healthy to question everything to a certain extent but how deep does one want to go ?
There is always a level of assumption everyone has to make as no one can prove everything literally himself.

I just would like to go a bit deeper than RME or MQA test. Result of direct bit2bit comparison of source and toslink output would be sufficient enough for me.

Music1969

Major Contributor
There is always a level of assumption everyone has to make as no one can prove everything literally himself.

I just would like to go a bit deeper than RME or MQA test. Result of direct bit2bit comparison of source and toslink output would be sufficient enough for me.
I will record WiiM's TOSlink output to and analyze.

I'm busy the next few weeks and this is not high on my priority list (for reasons already mentioned) but I will get around to it and report back.

DeepSpace57

Do you guyz know any news about the new Deezer API? It was supposed to have been released on 17/10.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Amir already tested wiim mini and confirmed bit perfect output from toslink
Can you point out where he made such a statement?

All I have seen was his "the app was reliable and gave me the option of configuring Toslink output for bit exact". Nothing about testing procedure.

jmtocali

Do you guyz know any news about the new Deezer API? It was supposed to have been released on 17/10.
I think still not released. I checked some moments ago doing a search and returned me MP3 tracks cut at 30". If I play from my favorites it plays the flac track without cuts.

Top Bottom