• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Witterings

Hard to recommend the WiiM these days if you use Audirvana or MiniDSP FLEX. Too many problems and each update has it's own set of issues. Here are some examples with the 20220708 build version 4.6.422564.

1. If I use Audirvana to play music thru WiiM, playback stops after a few songs. It gets lost and just stops. The album is never completely played. It always stalls. Switch to RPI4 with Moode and the issue completely disappears.

2. MiniDSP FLEX without Dirac can handle 96kHz files. And if you use Audirvana to stream music to it via RPI4 the conversion takes place in the background should the audio resolution be too high. BUT, if you use Wiim mini the sound of anything coming from Audirvana over 96kHz turns to noise and static. It's pretty hideous. Here are some examples.
1. Quiet Winter Night - an acoustic jazz project [352_8kHz · 24bit]. Downloaded Flac from HDTracks. Play the audio file to WiiM mini thru Audirvana and you get a hideous rattle/staic noise - no music. Stream it to RPI4 (Moode) and the music plays thru the FLEX with no issues.
2. POLARITY - an acoustic jazz project [176_4kHz · 24bit]. Downloaded Flac from HDTracks. Play the audio file to WiiM mini thru Audirvana and you get a rattle/staic noise or nothing at all. Stream it to RPI4 (Moode) and the music plays thru the FLEX with no issues.

If you are using Audirvana and enjoy Hi Res Audio and happen to have the FLEX best to leave the Wiim Mini disconnected as the firmware doesn't work. Plug in Moode with the RPI4 and you are good to go. Stalling music and static issues NEVER occur with the RPI4 (Moode) setup. It just works.

If you don't like it AND / OR it doesn't play well with whatever setup you have, send it back and ask for a refund and whilst it's easy to criticise what would you suggest as an alternative that does a better job at a similar pricepoint ... or it's just criticism that's easy for anyone to do?

It seems there are an awful lot of happy users in it's current state that are are also hoping for further improvements over the coming months to iron out any issues there may be.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't like it AND / OR it doesn't play well with whatever setup you have, send it back and ask for a refund and whilst it's easy to criticise what are you suggesting does a better job at a similar pricepoint or it's just criticism that's easy for anyone to do?

It seems there are an awful lot of happy users in it's current state that are are also hoping for further improvements over the coming months to iron out any issues there may be.

There is nothing wrong with reporting issues where the WiiM mini absolutely fails in comparison to the RPI4 (Moode) setup. I was scratching my head as to why music was stopping and HiRes files were not playing with WiiM. It wasn't until I got fed up with the functionality of UPnP with WiiM and switched in the RPI4 that I realized all the problems are in the WiiM firmware. The firmware was not this bad originally.

I have three WiiM pucks now and three RPI4 units. Each music system has both on it. I can easily switch between USB (RPI4) and Toslink (WiiM) to compare them. It seems the firmware development is concentrating on Amazon Prime and as it fixes Amazon it breaks UPnP functionality and HiRes audio handling.

I could send one back that I bought within 30 days and the Echo I bought to test with it but it would be better if the firmware development was well rounded and if its had the ability to roll back to different versions. The way it is now you don't know what will break next. Testing each firmware version before release seems limited. You never know what will break next. '

The RPI4 units are similar in price to the WiiM once back in stock. I didn't pay more for my RPI4's than the Wiim. If we had a place where all bugs were listed by version and a way to rollback firmware to working versions that would be helpful. Right now it's a roll of the dice whether WiiM UPnP will work properly or not with each update as they don't seem to test it.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At the end of this year, most if not all the features will be incorporated. Is there a compelling reason to buy expensive streamer just to get usb and coax output? Will 600 streamer will give you superior sound over 100 if using digital out? Or just paying premium because they have superior hardware like computer?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Odd. I can stream from LMS via UPnP to the WiiM without issue. LMS has lots of tweaks for UPnP/DLNA, which is implemented poorly by MANY manufacturers, but I didn't touch the tweaks for the WiiM. Perhaps the issue is actually with Audirvana, whatever that is?

Smartplug

There is nothing wrong with reporting issues where the WiiM mini absolutely fails in comparison to the RPI4 (Moode) setup. I was scratching my head as to why music was stopping and HiRes files were not playing with WiiM. It wasn't until I got fed up with the functionality of UPnP with WiiM and switched in the RPI4 that I realized all the problems are in the WiiM firmware. The firmware was not this bad originally.

I have three WiiM pucks now and three RPI4 units. Each music system has both on it. I can easily switch between USB (RPI4) and Toslink (WiiM) to compare them. It seems the firmware development is concentrating on Amazon Prime and as it fixes Amazon it breaks UPnP functionality and HiRes audio handling.

I could send one back that I bought within 30 days and the Echo I bought to test with it but it would be better if the firmware development was well rounded and if its had the ability to roll back to different versions. The way it is now you don't know what will break next. Testing each firmware version before release seems limited. You never know what will break next. '

The RPI4 units are similar in price to the WiiM once back in stock. I didn't pay more for my RPI4's than the Wiim. If we had a place where all bugs were listed by version and a way to rollback firmware to working versions that would be helpful. Right now it's a roll of the dice whether WiiM UPnP will work properly or not with each update as they don't seem to test it.
Yes, Wiim is focusing on amazon as it most requested and you know after it becomes official it will follow bug fix that affected other services and functionality. It’s just normal when you add codes for features it could impact others.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Odd. I can stream from LMS via UPnP to the WiiM without issue. LMS has lots of tweaks for UPnP/DLNA, which is implemented poorly by MANY manufacturers, but I didn't touch the tweaks for the WiiM. Perhaps the issue is actually with Audirvana, whatever that is?

Audirvana use to work fine with WiiM a few months ago but after the last few firmware updates on WiiM it's a mess. I laughed my butt off when I switched back to Moode on RPI4 and all the issues disappeared. It's pretty clear to me the WiiM firmware is not reliable for my needs. I hate to get rid of my three WiiM pucks as I like the multi-room feature, but as each firmware update comes out the puck is becoming less and less functional. My RPI4 units don't have any of these issues with UPnP and Audirvana.

Smartplug

Audirvana use to work fine with WiiM a few months ago but after the last few firmware updates on WiiM it's a mess. I laughed my butt off when I switched back to Moode on RPI4 and all the issues disappeared. It's pretty clear to me the WiiM firmware is not reliable for my needs. I hate to get rid of my three WiiM pucks as I like the multi-room feature, but as each firmware update comes out the puck is becoming less and less functional. My RPI4 units don't have any of these issues with UPnP and Audirvana.
Send your problem on wiim app and then it will send your log and from there they can see what’s causing the problem. You will get response in 24 hours it’s that simple.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Send your problem on wiim app and then it will send your log and from there they can see what’s causing the problem. You will get response in 24 hours it’s that simple.

I did that and never received a response.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
My three Wiims play the same music perfectly in sync. Regardless if I am streaming via Tidal Connect, Airplay 2 via Apple TV 4K, or streaming from a DLNA server.
Cool. How did you get them to do that? (I have one in the bedroom, love it, and hope to add another to the main system.) Does the WiiM app sync the two together?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Audirvana use to work fine with WiiM a few months ago but after the last few firmware updates on WiiM it's a mess. I laughed my butt off when I switched back to Moode on RPI4 and all the issues disappeared. It's pretty clear to me the WiiM firmware is not reliable for my needs.
I have Audirvana

I haven't opened it in couple years but will test it out

You using Studio or old school version ?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have Audirvana

I haven't opened it in couple years but will test it out

You using Studio or old school version ?
I am using version 3.5.50 that I purchased last year while they still sold Audirvana. No problem with the RPI4 running Moode.
With Wiim I get half way through an album and it stops after a few tracks. It doesn't finish the album. I select the next track to begin play again. I don't have any issues with Denon HEOS, Moode or any RPI4 based solution.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I am using version 3.5.50 that I purchased last year while they still sold Audirvana. No problem with the RPI4 running Moode.
With Wiim I get half way through an album and it stops after a few tracks. It doesn't finish the album. I select the next track to begin play again. I don't have any issues with Denon HEOS, Moode or any RPI4 based solution.
Mini has no support for gapless playback on DLNA, there is no SetNextAVTransportURI implemented. Maybe that's the reason.

fquails

Cool. How did you get them to do that? (I have one in the bedroom, love it, and hope to add another to the main system.) Does the WiiM app sync the two together?
The Wiim app will show all active Wiims, and allow you to “merge” any number of Wiims (not sure if there is a max number) to play the same music.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I personally have never received a response to about three or four bug reports

thomasward00

Yes, Wiim is focusing on amazon as it most requested and you know after it becomes official it will follow bug fix that affected other services and functionality. It’s just normal when you add codes for features it could impact others.
They are focusing on what 95% of people who buy a streamer will use it for. Amazon, Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify to work well with the Wiim app...
It's a simple $89 dollar device but it works great for it's intended use....
If a person wants Roon, Audiovana or anything like that, just pony up the money for something like the Blue sound Node.

Bamyasi

I personally have never received a response to about three or four bug reports
They would always respond to my feedback with follow ups via email in one or two days time, even on an occasion when I sent them two reports in just one day.

D

Deleted member 47859

The support seems to be kind of selective. I got a reply on their forums after weeks. Got no response to my tickets at all.

Merifon

The support seems to be kind of selective. I got a reply on their forums after weeks. Got no response to my tickets at all.
maybe depends from how lucky is someone. I asked for Tidal's "My daily discovery" and some little bonus, if they could be available from Wiim app and after a day, they replies that after checked Tidal api, it look possible and they will add in futher releases...

Top Bottom