• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 232 48.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.1%

• Total voters

PeteL

Major Contributor
Indeed : “It also has the analog audio input so you could connect your audio device and listen it on multiple devices”

Strangely, I was having this odd conversation the other day, with someone telling me, I'd like to purchase a turntable, you're in audio, what would you say I should buy. My first question was what's the rest of your chain?
She told me: "A Sonos speaker". I scratched my head but it made me realize that it's easy for audiophiles like us to lose touch with the real state of the market. I was surprised of this answer, but I think it maybe much more common that I would think. So my guess: for that same exact reason. One can plug this thing directly to cheap powered speakers that has no free input, you can add a turntable, a radio tuner, the analog output of your TV, etc. Why not.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Detailed???
I think the issue is that a full test is time consuming, because it can't be fully automated with the instrumentation at hand.
I'm fine with this. We know digital output is fine and analog out is ok'ish. Good enough.

It costs 106€ at Amazon Germany right now (US $114.6).

As for Roon, it's a personal thing it seems. Vote "Great" if you think it's great.
Could be the first device that is voted great against Amirs opinion :cool:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Or they went to the same OEM Amazon went...
It’s smaller than any current or recent amazon device, maybe apart from the echo input which similarly had no speaker. Apart from the shape (which is hardly unique) and its integration with Alexa, I don’t see the Amazon link.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I never have and probably never will use Roon. Quite happy with the WiiM connected optical out to SMSL Su-9n. Not a MQA user either. Not sure about others, but I won't be returning mine despite the not recommended review.
I'll probably buy two more. I haven't used Chromecast since installing the WiiM and can see it replacing Chromecast in my other systems in the house.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
why does it force the app anyways?
my $26 tx/rx acts like a normal bluetooth device and I can use whatever player I like https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4000...o2bra&spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.60e8caa43VDMEg

Not sure what this means . I almost never use the app. You can use any app which is DLNA compatible (and use BubbleUpnp Audio Cast for those which are not). Not sure how Bluetooth works don't use. If you're streaming from your phone via Bluetooth you don't need to buy this as a streamer.

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Ok i know… but. When you click Spotify its show Window to that you can use it only with Spotify App
There are only advantages to using the Spotify app. The WiiM app is extremely weak in queue and playlist management. You don't want to use it if you don't have to.

tsoltan

An interesting product. Looks like it has an analog input and ADC…if I'm understanding the specs correctly. I wonder what the intended applications are for this input. @amirm , did you test the analog input? Looks like it accepts up to 1V. I can imagine folks using a pair of these to "beam" vinyl playback to the patio over Wi-Fi.
Do you know what is the output of the turntable(phono-pre) or how to calculate it - because I assume It would be higher than 1V.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
is the app only for setup or do you actually need it if your just using spotify connect etc?
You don’t need the app with Tidal, Spotify, Amazon Music; all use their native apps with this device. It also supports Bluetooth, UPnP, Alexa and Siri without the app. It is, for the price, the most technically sophisticated streamer you will find.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Ok i know… but. When you click Spotify its show Window to that you can use it only with Spotify App
Which is the case with every streamer that supports Spotify. LMS is the only system, to my knowledge, which can use Spotify service without the Spotify app.

PeteL

Major Contributor

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
You don’t need the app with Tidal, Spotify, Amazon Music; all use their native apps with this device. It also supports Bluetooth, UPnP, Alexa and Siri without the app. It is, for the price, the most sophisticated streamer you will find.

Agreed x 1000. At $89 It's absurd to criticize the unit for its performance as a DAC when it offers transparent optical output.

D700

It would be beneficial if someone whith knowledge/overview/time compiled some nice spreadsheet style comparison of current "affordable" HW streamers, both reviewed and untested. Because otherwise google searchers are left with something like this:
I started one here on ASR long time ago but abandoned it to others. Just search

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know what is the output of the turntable(phono-pre) or how to calculate it - because I assume It would be higher than 1V.
Probably less than 1V for many people, cart and phono stage combinations will let this be all over the place.

@amirm are you able to measure the ADC? The ability to not only do this conversion, but also stream it to another one of these in the house is an interesting and fairly unique feature.

Brantome

Major Contributor
You don’t need the app with Tidal, Spotify, Amazon Music; all use their native apps with this device. It also supports Bluetooth, UPnP, Alexa and Siri without the app. It is, for the price, the most technically sophisticated streamer you will find.

However, Amazon Music only supports Alexa Cast which I suspect is still only lossy SD. Hopefully the imminent app update will help confirm this.

If the WiiM app follows other third party implementations of Amazon Music, they’ll be able to support lossless bit perfect 16 and 24 playback over SPDIF in the near future - if their claim to support these hires tracks when casting, they’ll be the first to do that in my experience.

Top Bottom