• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Mini

thunderchicken

I just switched from a no-name Bluetooth receiver I’ve had for several years to a Wiim Mini and the difference is immediately apparent.

The Wiim was on sale on the jungle site and I was curious if going from BT to AirPlay would be noticeable.

I’m using the same DAC (OG D70) as BT was connected to.

I didn’t realize just how bad Bluetooth is for audio until this second. Bluetooth is super convenient, but I don’t think I can use it at home anymore. Might have been an expensive lesson because I need to buy several more Wiims.

MacCali

Major Contributor
You should try making a pi streamer if you have a bit of tech savvy. It’s far cheaper and the performance is outstanding.

The better deal is to get a quality hat for the pi board and you can get a killer streamer that probably will kill anything up to 2k.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I think the WiiM Mini is a great little device! Love mine. It has good WiFi reception too, the one thing I was concerned about. Got mine for about $65 "as new" from that auction site...

OP
T

thunderchicken

You should try making a pi streamer if you have a bit of tech savvy. It’s far cheaper and the performance is outstanding.

The better deal is to get a quality hat for the pi board and you can get a killer streamer that probably will kill anything up to 2k.
I have a pi streamer with coax hat set up as a headless music server. It runs Volumio and went into an O2 dac.

Haven’t used it in years for various reasons, the biggest being that it was too much of a pain to add music to my collection. I also needed to force reset the app frequently, which was annoying. It worked well enough as an endpoint, but kind of silly to use it that way when it had most of my collection on it directly.

The Wiim mini just works right off my phone. I can remote to my computer and send to the Wiim or just play directly from my phone. Nothing else is or was needed for my use case.

Although now I’m wondering if I should dust off that pi rig and put it to use somewhere. Maybe the software has improved enough to make it worth it.

OP
T

thunderchicken

I think the WiiM Mini is a great little device! Love mine. It has good WiFi reception too, the one thing I was concerned about. Got mine for about $65 "as new" from that auction site...
That’s awesome, now that I’ve played with it, I’m going to have to get a second one. Maybe the auction site has me covered on that!

Top Bottom