• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 230 48.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.2%

• Total voters

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hans Beekhuyzen did measure a fault on the WiiM - a sudden peak of + 0,6 dB in the treble area from the analog out of the WiiM . If that was a hardware bug its not good. I hope Amirm can do a frequency response measurement to verify if that peak exist or not.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Hans Beekhuyzen

AVvXsEi-chrYUUgMvoRPVKsLC-rGEHwMrgilwqKx9hYeR8OHy_AlcQr1ZB0o3QRybtzwgkFcRxke1tK59Pzv9IG2wf-JoRBqUnKpUp143O64kyEwoHez579dvInUVR2ef66DV2gCOBINrmpmaHaWvrGe0P99aAHJRoVqCQkepEJOLiF-KSJh0m6IGkEffSA1PA=s498

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Seams interesting platform for the future when it matures more. So far its not mature bat they are working (rather hard) on it.
It has potential to suppose Music Cast and similar if they really put a lot of effort in it.
Anyone using it care to elaborate how good it's the DSP chain in app, what it contains and is it apply able to all outputs? They just mentioned the EQ is present, nothing more.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hans Beekhuyzen did measure a fault on the WiiM - a sudden peak of + 0,6 dB in the treble area from the analog out of the WiiM . If that was a hardware bug its not good. I hope Amirm can do a frequency response measurement to verify if that peak exist or not.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a reasonable replacement for the defunct Chromecast audio, if you attach a DAC (I use Qobuz).
Would be better with Roon support and Power Delivery compatible power.

peanuts

is the app only for setup or do you actually need it if your just using spotify connect etc?

Brantome

Major Contributor
is the app only for setup or do you actually need it if your just using spotify connect etc?
The app is used for setup and accessing most if not all of the supported services apart from Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Good example of how missleding and non telling this FFT graph can be.
everything below -120dB so it must be perfect...
Well no only periodic signals with constant amplitude over the measurement time will show up properly
Without integration time, window, bin size, bandwidth, FFT size. we can't read absolute comparable values from it.

1650102416602.png

If looking at noise dB/per square root hertz wold be directly comparable

Attachments

• 1650102461609.png
    1650102461609.png
    116.2 KB · Views: 74

captain paranoia

Why is Roon important?
It isn't important.

Unless you're wedded to Roon. A year's subscription to Roon costs more than this device.

I don't use Roon. I might buy a Wiim, since it appears to work perfectly with UPnP and LMS, that I do use. This review looks like a recommendation for anyone using LMS, DLNA/UPnP or Airplay, with an external DAC. Maybe even Roon in the near future.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think the proprietary service Roon should be considered. The streamer doesn't support MQA either (i think, didn't see it so far), is that another reason to not recommend it?

To me this seems to be the device i recommend to friends that don't want to fiddle with a RPi and have a free Toslink input on their amp.

welder

Happy to see such performance, especially cause I've purchased it for 25 instead of regular 100€ price on Amazon :)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Happy to see such performance, especially cause I've purchased it for 25 instead of regular 100€ price on Amazon :)
How? :oops:

Top Bottom