• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 44 10.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 223 54.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 128 31.4%

• Total voters

Thomhawk

Thanks for the review, went ahead and got one based on it. A few days in with it replacing my Sony STR-DH190 for my BR03's. Was afraid of it being less powerful but it has turned out nice since I get more adjustment for the volumes I do listen at. Wiim app has been great and I think the bump in quality I've seen so far is the better DAC from the 5-dollar Amazon special I was running to the Sony. ARC alone made the upgrade worth it for me.

375HP2482

That Sony receiver looks even better than the $200 Yamaha recently reviewed. Fifty bucks less, plus a Phono preamp.

ocinn

This Wiim Amp has both, though, or do you mean other amps?
I may be completely wrong, but from my understanding of reading the manual and website, this does not have a high-pass/proper 2-way crossover for the speaker outputs, and the DSP functionality is system-global (i.e the main and subs are processed together, so using filters to do the high pass on the main/amp outputs is impossible).

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I originally voted 'fine', however looking into this thing more changed to great. For the money, or lack of, seems like one hell of a bit of kit.

Joffy1780

I may be completely wrong, but from my understanding of reading the manual and website, this does not have a high-pass/proper 2-way crossover for the speaker outputs, and the DSP functionality is system-global (i.e the main and subs are processed together, so using filters to do the high pass on the main/amp outputs is impossible).
It does have high pass for the speakers, so I'm not sure how you have come to that conclusion.

ocinn

It does have high pass for the speakers, so I'm not sure how you have come to that conclusion.
Like I said, I may be wrong, however I cannot find any mention of it in the manual.

Also, googling “wiim high-pass” shows many recent forum posts highlighting the missing feature.

Their official subwoofer guide for this product also has zero mention of high-pass and essentially suggests you set the LPF to match the roll-off of your mains.

Like I said, I very well may be missing something, however considering how desirable high-pass is, if it truly does exist, it’s frankly bizarre that WiiM isn’t advertising or mentioning it at all.

Petevid

In the Wiim PEQ you can set up both Low shelf and High shelf filters independently , specifying frequency, gain and Q . Is this what you mean?

dominikz

Forum Donor
Like I said, I may be wrong, however I cannot find any mention of it in the manual.

Also, googling “wiim high-pass” shows many recent forum posts highlighting the missing feature.

Their official subwoofer guide for this product also has zero mention of high-pass and essentially suggests you set the LPF to match the roll-off of your mains.

Like I said, I very well may be missing something, however considering how desirable high-pass is, if it truly does exist, it’s frankly bizarre that WiiM isn’t advertising or mentioning it at all.
Erin's review shows that enabling the crossover indeed applies both the LPF to the sub out and HPF to speakers (examples with crossover at 30Hz and 250Hz):
SW-Out.png

Sokel

Master Contributor

1709290065488.png

(down the notes of the link you posted)

What's fair is fair.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 353464

(down the notes of the link you posted)

What's fair is fair.
it's one of the things that's great with this product , at it's price you possibly also own some small 2 way speakers ( wild guess ) then everything gets better .
The small speakers does don't have to work so hard and sound much better . You get better bass with a sub(s) . The amp itself is "saved" by not having to pump out subbass . It does not have be very good at 20hz anymore the overall power demand will be smaller and WiiM can get away with a smaller powersupply and it makes the thing cheaper :)

harkpabst

In the Wiim PEQ you can set up both Low shelf and High shelf filters independently , specifying frequency, gain and Q . Is this what you mean?
That's a completely different feature. Useful in its own right, but not for high-pass filtering the mains (or low-pass filtering the sub).

Joffy1780

It seems the thread you linked was discussing the Pro plus, which doesn't even have a subwoofer out.

Also, the document you linked to mentions the crossover being controlled by the Wiim amp and doesn't suggest setting the LPF to match roll off of the mains??

Wiim are most certainly mentioning it, you're just not reading it.

And, yes, it truly does exist.

effj

I have confirmed that it has a 2-way crossover after buying one and using it. (Crutchfield’s website, which is my goto for reading product specs, correctly states this.)

In the subwoofer setting in the mobile app, there is a Crossover Frequency slider in the range from 30 Hz to 250 Hz. I myself was skeptical, but by sliding it to a high frequency I confirmed with my ears that my full range speakers were hollow in (i.e. weren’t producing) the low frequency range.

56suited

Andrew Robinson panned on it and that was confusing to me...he's increasingly coming across as a douche.

I plan on using it in the following set-up:
  1. Pro-Ject Debut Pro S Turntable
  2. Ifi Audio Zen Phono Stage
  3. WiiM Amp
  4. Wharfedale Diamond 12.1
  5. Klipsch R-8SW Subwoofer (down firing, small SW that will sit in a IKEA Kallax shelf)

xSDMx

Is anyone else seeing significant regressions in HDMI behavior since the firmware update rolled out yesterday? I'm using my WiiM Amp with an LG C9 and Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) with HDMI CEC and auto sense enabled. Since the update yesterday, whenever my TV goes to sleep upon resume the WiiM Amp will not output audio until I reboot the WiiM Amp itself.

Ze Frog

Anybody using one of these yet? And if so please specify speakers used and how your experience is so far?

Top Bottom