• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 44 10.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 229 54.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 132 31.6%

• Total voters

xSDMx

Is anyone else seeing significant regressions in HDMI behavior since the firmware update rolled out yesterday? I'm using my WiiM Amp with an LG C9 and Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) with HDMI CEC and auto sense enabled. Since the update yesterday, whenever my TV goes to sleep upon resume the WiiM Amp will not output audio until I reboot the WiiM Amp itself.
Just got the hotfix firmware update and HDMI appears to be working great so far. Audio works on sleep/wake from HDMI source and I haven't been able to reproduce the garbled audio issue from two firmware versions back. Will keep testing but good news so far! Love my WiiM Amp and appreciate how responsive support is.

Last edited:

DRC

Love my WiiM Amp and appreciate how responsive support is.
Yes, they respond very quickly to the bugs that they introduce in firmware updates. Perhaps, they should try testing new firmware properly before releasing it.

Petevid

Yes, they respond very quickly to the bugs that they introduce in firmware updates. Perhaps, they should try testing new firmware properly before releasing it.
Can you give an example please?

IME the updates have been resolving bugs not creating them. And name me any piece of firmware/software that is totally bug free from day one. If the almost infinite permutations of use cases had to be tested first nothing would ever get released.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor

I’d much rather have a company respond to fix issues and requests than ignore them.

And I don’t think I know of an AV company who gets it right first time, every time.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone found a way to get subwoofer level to integrate yet? Has firmware fixed it?

Obviously still early days. Can't wait to see if they bring out a more powerful version in future. Been looking at the Harmann Kardon Citation as well, lots more power but heat issues etc, and no PEQ, but can be had for £369 at the moment. Thinking I'll build a rather frugal system that is kind of based more on the looks before deciding if I need to spend anything more. As I get older, really appreciating stuff that is more cost effective, the likes of WIIM etc is really quite admirable and it's kind of a return to my attitude and means as a younger man where I didn't have the absolute best, but likely enjoyed my system far more than chasing perfection.

effj

Anyone found a way to get subwoofer level to integrate yet?
Is the question referring to whether the subwoofer level changes with amp volume control? I think the answer is yes it does already, that the SW out is variable. There is a subwoofer level control in the app but that’s for fine tuning.

Would be nice to have:

- Subwoofer gain up/down buttons on the remote control
In case this statement was misleading, it’s because I like to fine tune the relative subwoofer level between music albums.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is the question referring to whether the subwoofer level changes with amp volume control? I think the answer is yes it does already, that the SW out is variable. There is a subwoofer level control in the app but that’s for fine tuning.

In case this statement was misleading, it’s because I like to fine tune the relative subwoofer level between music albums.
Ah, I was under the impression the subwoofer volume could be fine at certain points, but then end up either too low or too high when adjusting regular volume dial. Is this not actually an issue now then? Maybe I'm confused and was reading a different thread where I saw that.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ah, I was under the impression the subwoofer volume could be fine at certain points, but then end up either too low or too high when adjusting regular volume dial. Is this not actually an issue now then? Maybe I'm confused and was reading a different thread where I saw that.
The original Fosi V3 had that issue, but it was fixed with a 2024 revision.

On the WiiM Amp it would be news to me.

Antlestxp

I am beginning to be a little suspicious of these tests. I have given the wiim a go and I think it sounds terrible next to some devices that were reviewed with poorer results. I don't get how it can score so high in tests when in use it doesn't sound that great. It is a cool device especially at it price but it struggles to play full range without distortion with any of the speakers I own.

xSDMx

I am beginning to be a little suspicious of these tests. I have given the wiim a go and I think it sounds terrible next to some devices that were reviewed with poorer results. I don't get how it can score so high in tests when in use it doesn't sound that great. It is a cool device especially at it price but it struggles to play full range without distortion with any of the speakers I own.
Maybe just your speakers? I'm using the klh model 3 and get zero distortion at high volume.

Antlestxp

Maybe just your speakers? I'm using the klh model 3 and get zero distortion at high volume.
I tried it with 4 sets of speakers. sonab OA14 (I actually bought it for those speakers) ess amt 1b, ohm walsh 3.3000, and a set of polk lsi9. Those speakers other than the polks are pretty easy to drive. I'm really disappointed. great reviews all around and a tested higher than other equipment I have.

xSDMx

I tried it with 4 sets of speakers. sonab OA14 (I actually bought it for those speakers) ess amt 1b, ohm walsh 3.3000, and a set of polk lsi9. Those speakers other than the polks are pretty easy to drive. I'm really disappointed. great reviews all around and a tested higher than other equipment I have.
https://ohmspeaker.com/legacy-products/3/ 8 ohm 50-125w those are mostly vintage speakers and look super hard to drive

Antlestxp

https://ohmspeaker.com/legacy-products/3/ 8 ohm 50-125w those are mostly vintage speakers and look super hard to drive
Walsh "3.3000" they have vintage cabinets but modern drivers. I used a super cheap avr with them when I first got them. They aren't hard to drive. Maybe I got a bad wiim unit. I really want it to work. Nothing else I can think of with hdmi arc and streaming at this price point.

Top Bottom