• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 43 10.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 220 54.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 126 31.3%

• Total voters

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I'm getting into Hifi and was looking for an amp and dac to power the Revel M105 DIY Copy speakers that I built, ideally as cheap as possible. It seems like the Wiim amp is a good option but I was also considering:
- Fosi V3
- SMSL Su-1

Since a streamer would be nice but not really necessary for me, the standalones would be a lot cheaper and, (from what I've researched) offer similar / better performance. Would you guys agree?
My personal opinion is that you’ll be fine.

My longer answer is that, playing on the safe side (and if you have a big enough cash buffer) I’d wait for the WiiM Ultra and buy the best amp you can afford.

Indeed, if you’ve no sub, and don’t have a decent DAC, get the Pro Plus. If you’ve no sub and already have a decent DAC, get the Pro.

My eventual aim is the Ultra and a Topping PA5 II Plus.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm getting into Hifi and was looking for an amp and dac to power the Revel M105 DIY Copy speakers that I built, ideally as cheap as possible. It seems like the Wiim amp is a good option but I was also considering:
- Fosi V3
- SMSL Su-1

Since a streamer would be nice but not really necessary for me, the standalones would be a lot cheaper and, (from what I've researched) offer similar / better performance. Would you guys agree?
I think you could expect very similar performance from both, so if a streamer isn't necessary, separates may be the best option, certainly value wise.
One thing which I think is worth taking into consideration is the outstanding customer care and continuous development you could expect from Wiim (as well as the wealth of extra features the Wiim Amp offers)

harkpabst

I don't see how a DAC and amp would be "a lot cheaper", but cheaper nonetheless.

My longer answer is that, playing on the safe side (and if you have a big enough cash buffer) I’d wait for the WiiM Ultra and buy the best amp you can afford.
The Ultra will certainly be more expensive than the Pro Plus (at $219), which already makes it pretty hard to meet this "a lot cheaper" target. ;)

@Einsneins, the WiiM Amp is all about being a unified integrated solution, regarding features and appearance: Streamer, DAC, HDMI ARC, Bluetooth receiver and transmitter, feature-rich app control, PEQ and graphic EQ, room correction to come soon, subwoofer integration with bass management and power amplifier, all in one single extremely compact box (with no external PSU).

If most of these features don't matter to you, you can get the same sonic performance (as far as DAC and amp are concerned) for less money.

But if you are tempted by what @Joffy1780 explained or any of the other features, then the WiiM Amp could still be a good choice. It depends on what you need and what you want.

bcfc

If the sound with good separation of musical instruments is important to you, then of course you need to buy separate devices.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If the sound with good separation of musical instruments is important to you, then of course you need to buy separate devices.
Ah, so by "separation of musical instruments" we mean that the amplifier, streamer, DAC, etc. must be disconnected!!!! Now everything is clear to me....

bcfc

Ah, so by "separation of musical instruments" we mean that the amplifier, streamer, DAC, etc. must be disconnected!!!! Now everything is clear to me....
If you haven't listened to wiim amp in comparison with amplifier and dac, why write that?

harkpabst

You forgot to mention that a separate streamer, DAC, pre-amp, power amp and so on is needed per channel. For best results each should be placed in a separate room, of course (but remember to keep them all connected to a single power outlet to avoid ground loops).

Cable quality and the right cable lifters (separate for each cable) are crucial. Starting the left and right stream synchronously can be a challenge at first, but it's absolutely worth it. Of course ...

Brantome

Major Contributor
The company through Amazon!
But remember WiiM, like many Amazon sellers, have their kit delivered from the factory direct to Amazon distribution centres from where Amazon then package and deliver them. There have been a number of complaints about kit being bought from Amazon that is poorly packaged e.g. in a much larger box with little or no protective packing around it to help guard against damage in transit. Gone are the days when they used to use clear film to hold a package tightly in place in its box, now all you get are a few twists of paper which doesn’t stop the package moving around. They need to reconsider how they package higher cost (and higher weight) items such the Amp. You should complain to Amazon directly that their packaging isn’t up to the job and has damaged your purchase.

effj

I have nowhere near the budget to buy proper separates. I had cobbled together a Windows 10 HTPC and Gator rack cabinet with a Behringer A800, Topping TP RD3, and dbx crossover for my floorstanders and 12” subwoofer. However, I now also have a WiiM Amp which fits my needs just as well as the rack components and takes up 1/10th the space.

Overseas

Major Contributor
No, we like all stuff mixed together, like one median frequency or something.

bcfc

and of course you have done DBTs and can show your results here...
You can have perfect sterile values, but that doesn't mean the amp sounds great. As for the wiim amplifier, all values and measurements are posted by both the amir and other reviewers.
You must listen with your ears and not look at the measurements and data given by reviewers. Either the amplifier sounds beautiful or it doesn’t.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You must listen with your ears and not look at the measurements and data given by reviewers.
Haem. Excuse me... Why are you here exactly ?

Do you think that the hard work we, objectivist reviewers, provide for free is some kind of joke, maybe ?

What you say about seperated is pure nonsense, since your [whatever DAC] is bottlenecked by the A07 amplification all the same (which by the way is better performing in the Amp than in A07)

DTTOM37

Sounds to me like you have limited knowlege of signal processing, recording techniques and room interactation in sound reproduction.
If in any case, you have the personal need to emphasize music in the proposed way only with separates, be happy to invest in that option.
Your opinion holds no water as a generalisation, besides being a subjective impression.

Top Bottom