• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 44 10.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 224 54.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 130 31.6%

• Total voters

DanTheMan

Amir has been killing me with these reviews lately. I was going to get the Fosi VA3 for my bedroom studio, but since this one has a built in DAC that performs well, a very similar amp, a sub out with a real crossover, and I can use it as a standalone when I want to stream music or watch TV/Movies(and control the volume with the remote d/t the ARC), the ability to do room correction, well, to be honest: this seems like a no brainer. Now I'm looking forward to this bedroom remodel. Unfortunately I'll have to use PCM, but I'd bet the sound will still be preferable to a Soundbar. I get the complaint about the frequency response issue, but it's really not that big of a deal. It may actually be advantageous depending on the individual speaker, is fairly easy to correct If you can do basic measurements, and my speakers have zobels on them anyway and it won't make a lick of difference to me.

bcfc

Похоже, все поверхностное монтируется:

Оставьте операционные усилители, их замена ничем не поможет.
View attachment 351177

Looks like everything is surface mounted:

Leave the opamps, it will do nothing to replace them.
View attachment 351177
Why? There are good OPA1655 for example. If in a single stream. If there are double operating amplifiers, then muses8920e

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you produce to meet a really compettive price you surface mount to facilitate Automation in production and smal pcb size and performance can be bettet due to more optimal layout ?

JSmith

Master Contributor
The sound stage and detailed separation of musical instruments can be expanded.
200w.gif

JSmith

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
The sound stage and detailed separation of musical instruments can be expanded.
Then explain to us !
Without forgetting evidences demonstrating that swapping opamps make night and day differences ;)

bcfc

I had a simple question: what op-amp is installed there? I didn't ask for opinions on how the replacement would affect it. I asked about the op amp type and that was it!

Reactions: MCH

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a simple question: what op-amp is installed there? I didn't ask for opinions on how the replacement would affect it. I asked about the op amp type and that was it!
Tough luck… sometimes you get unsolicited advice. That is the nature of ASR. Take it or leave it.

aagstn

I'll always advice to buy used HiFi. You can have a TOTL system for peanuts. You may be able to get a cheap chinese amp new. But it is not worth anything in a couple of years.
Not that I disagree with you though. :)
It is hard to pass up the bargains as many people practically give away good equipment. I considered the Wiim Amp when it was first announced but I'm really happy with an old Yamaha paired with a Wiim Pro Plus. I spent under $200 total getting the Wiim on sale and the receiver for $10. For an all in one compact system though, the Wiim Amp does a lot right.

Petevid

I am very glad that the ASR crowd, Amir included, can appreciate what value low budget products like this one can offer. It's obvious that products like this are not the end game dream of anyone on the hobby out there, but they can be the foundation for a decent system for a lot of people that have to work around a low budget, for whatever reasons.

It shows that some care was given during the design of this products to maximize its functionality on the asking price, that alone is commendable.
How is it obvious this is not an ’end game ‘ product?

jaizm

Can you compare Ethernet with Wi-Fi? Is there a chance to transfer noise from router/switch via an eth cable?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can you compare Ethernet with Wi-Fi? Is there a chance to transfer noise from router/switch via an eth cable?
I did my testing with Ethernet (with and without actually) and it makes no difference. So no need to worry.

Hans-Wolfgang

In 1974, a Rotel RA 810 amp was worth 2,500 French francs, two and a half times the legal minimum wage at the time (the SMIC), it developed 40 watts at 8 ohms... and it was cheaper than a Sansui , a Pioneer, a Yamaha of the same power.
To listen to music with it, you had to buy an LP player and a cartridge for the same price and a tuner, I bought a Sony ST 5130 for 2500 francs also... So you had to spend 7500 francs... or 7 months of the legal minimum wage in France at that time... Not counting the speakers which were worth around 3000 francs per pair... or 3 months of Interprofessional Minimum Growth Salary... Without doing complex calculations, I can say that today we buy the Wim amp tested here, plus a pair of very good quality acoustic speakers for 1000 euros (1000 dollars) today... For undoubtedly superior quality... Let's go crazy for a pair of speakers for 1100 euros...
The same minimum wage in France today is 1400 euros net... the price of Wim Amp and a pair of Speaker at 1100 euros...
From 10 months of minimum wage we went to less than a month or a month...
Ah yes, there is a little treble reading with 8 ohm speakers... But not the hiss of the FM, not the distortions of the LP... and in addition we have 4 parametric corrections available plus one subwoofer output...
Thank you Amir for putting a recommendation to such a device...

PS : Oh I forgot, with certain cells there was a rise in the treble in the audible band at a very audible level which required adding small polystyrene capacitors to some of them to calm down this rise in the treble well. more important than that of economical class D amplifiers...
I totally agree with your reminder! I've been using the Wiim Amp for 1 month. It has replaced all the old components and streams wonderfully with Qobuz and the sound quality is at least equivalent to my NAD C 316BEE combined with the Triangle ANTAL columns. All for a derisory price. Salut ! Hans de Rouen ;-))

Triliza

Forum Donor
How is it obvious this is not an ’end game ‘ product?
It has some shortcomings that are discussed in this thread, and more power wouldn't hurt anyone and may be needed here and there. It can become an "end game" product for someone, meaning that you may never feel the need to get something else, it's like me and Elac DBR62, I am happy with them, wouldn't exactly call them "end game" speakers though.

Top Bottom