• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 44 10.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 222 54.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 128 31.4%

• Total voters

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
@amirm Thanks for your test and reviews!
I have a WIIM Amp for one small room and Topping PA3s + WIIM Pro for a second larger room. Reading your reviews, I thought about an upgrade for a large room.
There I got big 3 band speakers. What do you say about the connection Topping PA5 II plus + WIIM Pro plus? Will such a set be noticeably better than WIIM Amp?
Also, I think such a set will be in reserve for the case when I manage to purchase higher quality floor acoustics.

I’d definitely suggest waiting for the WiiM Ultra, as opposed to shelling out immediately for the Pro Plus, unless of course you’re in a hurry.

Indeed, the Ultra and PA5 II Plus is what I’m currently looking at.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Have fun reading this "review".

Pretty bad rating (3/5 is in the low 25% by What-HiFi standards), logically explained by... 1) WiiM is not a British brand, 2) WiiM is not an advertiser for their magazine, 3) The Amp does have an extremely good price/feature/performance ratio, that is threatening the competition ("traditional" brands, British or others).
:facepalm:

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@amirm Thanks for your test and reviews!
I have a WIIM Amp for one small room and Topping PA3s + WIIM Pro for a second larger room. Reading your reviews, I thought about an upgrade for a large room.
There I got big 3 band speakers. What do you say about the connection Topping PA5 II plus + WIIM Pro plus? Will such a set be noticeably better than WIIM Amp?
Also, I think such a set will be in reserve for the case when I manage to purchase higher quality floor acoustics.
Slightly depends:
How big is your room, what are your speakers (and do you know their sensitivity rating), how loud do you listen and are you considering adding a subwoofer in future?
The WiiM Pro Plus has a better DAC than the Pro but even then that difference may not be audible (personally, I'd prefer the Pro Plus over the Pro but that's not wholly rational). It comes down to how loud you want to listen. Perhaps just another WiiM Amp might be a good choice too.

Ze Frog

I’d definitely suggest waiting for the WiiM Ultra, as opposed to shelling out immediately for the Pro Plus, unless of course you’re in a hurry.

Indeed, the Ultra and PA5 II Plus is what I’m currently looking at.
Or maybe WIIM Amp ultra, now that would really be something. That's if they have that as a possibility in future, would be super cool though, I'd happily buy one at 4 or 5 times the price of the regular WIIM Amp with more power and improved internals.

JeremyFife

Or maybe WIIM Amp ultra, now that would really be something. That's if they have that as a possibility in future, would be super cool though, I'd happily buy one at 4 or 5 times the price of the regular WIIM Amp with more power and improved internals.
lol ... or wait for the WiiM MEGA ... which is also not available yet (or, for the avoidance of doubt, may never be since I just made that up)

Why wait for something new and untested if there are good options now? :)

Why not, for example, try a WiiM mini (for the streamer and rudimentary, but useful PEQ) into a Yamaha AS-501. Old school but reliable and would sound brilliant ...

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor

Yeah, I get that.

But in a way, why? Hope you understand this - I’m not being critical.

I suspect the ‘front end’ (streamer, processing, DAC, pre amp) on the Ultra will be solid. And you need that whether you have a small, desktop amp, or if you’re feeding a massive amp to drive multi-thousand pound speakers, or to deliver a signal to superb (and expensive) Genelecs.

I’d rather WiiM get this right, and eventually offer a range of front ends (Mini, Pro, Pro Plus, Ultra, maybe another somewhere between the Pro Plus and Ultra) - and a range of power amps (basic Fosi Audio V3, right through to something offering the top end of Topping’s LA90), than tie everything in to a simple start-to-finish solution like the WiiM Amp.

Don’t get me wrong, the WiiM Amp is great. And yes, okay, eventually 3 tiers of that, perhaps.

But expand the front for now. And get into amps if you must.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it is not about the level of volume which is more than ok, it is all about control and sound quality, in respect of bass control and mid high detail.
I don't know about the mid-high, but my impression from the original testing was this amp is simply not super great at the lowest frequencies, maybe power supply rated. I was thinking to use one highpassed to satellite mains.

jmtocali

And now the Wiim amp is Roon ready
IMG_1955.jpeg

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
This Wiim review brings up the issue of whether the long-standing de facto industry method for measuring amp power is all that useful. Not only that, but we get an Amir name-drop and a glimpse of his photo too. :cool:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This Wiim review brings up the issue of whether the long-standing de facto industry method for measuring amp power is all that useful. Not only that, but we get an Amir name-drop and a glimpse of his photo too. :cool:
Well that is a really stupid test. If you put a tiny signal in, you'll get a tiny signal (and low power) out. He doesnt seem to understand the relationship between volts, gain, impedance and power.

Ze Frog

Anybody running one of these who has other more expensive systems, and how does it compare?

Seen What Hi-fi review on it for a chuckle, lol, I love how product's like this highlight there review scores and the review itself completely garbage. 3 stars, really, for something at this cost,this has really spooked a lot of the peddler's of expensive gear and the elitist part of the community for sure.

I'm actually contemplating getting one as my main system, wondering if I need to spend the money I have set aside on a system that will cost 10x the amount of more.

Antlestxp

Anybody running one of these who has other more expensive systems, and how does it compare?

Seen What Hi-fi review on it for a chuckle, lol, I love how product's like this highlight there review scores and the review itself completely garbage. 3 stars, really, for something at this cost,this has really spooked a lot of the peddler's of expensive gear and the elitist part of the community for sure.

I'm actually contemplating getting one as my main system, wondering if I need to spend the money I have set aside on a system that will cost 10x the amount of more.
Just try it and return it if you don't like it.

Xibal

Interesting point made by Scientific Audiophile on the 1kz test tone. It would be nice to know @amirm 's point of view on this, thanks

Xibal

I beg your pardon, could someone post a link to the mentioned thread?, thanks

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting point made by Scientific Audiophile on the 1kz test tone. It would be nice to know @amirm 's point of view on this, thanks
I doubt the "Scientific" part, I don't doubt the "Audiophile" part.

Top Bottom