• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

CarlToft

Thanks for clarification. No mic involved then. I tend to think that there is little to be learned from these measurements then. But that's not the point.

Firstly, I will not tell you that you did not hear what you heard. :) But I agree with @antcollinet that your impressions can be heavily influenced by tiny differences in level. The older I get, the less I care about tonal differences, especially if you can take care of them by applying EQ. I was really serious in recommending that you try out what difference EQ settings would make to your observations.

WiiM have announced that beta tests of integrated room correction for the Amp should start by the end of January. I will happily wait and see what they'll have on the shelf.
Will it be software or hardware based? Just curious if i should cancel the order for the amp and wait.

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
Will it be software or hardware based? Just curious if i should cancel the order for the amp and wait.
My understanding is it will be firmware/software that would run on the existing hardware of the Pro, Pro Plus and Amp (but not the Mini, which utilizes a significantly less powerful processor). Essentially an expansion/optimization of the current PEQ functionality for the realtime implementation of the correction curve, plus some higher level run-once software that will perform the room measurements necessary to compute a suitable correction curve.

Short version: when it is eventually available, the room correction will be a feature in a standard firmware & app update to in-the-field hardware. So no point in cancelling your amp.

pipomolo42

Let me know what they'll answer you. Also try to ask when they will get the new devices.
Same story here, I returned mine to the french retailer easylounge / son-video, and they told me they would get a shipment of the fixed production batch by the end of february

s0nix

Same story here, I returned mine to the french retailer easylounge / son-video, and they told me they would get a shipment of the fixed production batch by the end of february
Thanks for the info. I guess now all we can do is wait. :rolleyes:

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
In the Fosi ZA3 review just published, a reader noticed that the Wiim Amp had been added to the SINAD chart of all reviewed amplifiers (landed just above ZA3 and V3 at 88db, not bad!). When asked about this, Amir said he had an issue mid-test with his first unit, and Wiim sent him another unit which is currently being tested and (he hopes) to be published soon.

See post #18 here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...udio-za3-amplifier-review.52139/#post-1880316

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
Just an update to my Wiim amp use. I found a 64 gb USB stick that showed up with the amp this morning after having some trouble with a 1tb external. I can tell you that I a super pleased with the sound and bass response from this amplifier. I measured 84 dB from 10 ft away. The sub out put is very good and blends well. I amnusing Kef q550's and it drives them well at a loud level. My best bet would be that this amp would be perfect for easy to drive speakers like Klipsch. This is a really great product. At least right now.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1000026346.png

1000026350.png

1000026351.png

1000026349.png
1000026345.png
1000026347.png
1000026348.png

...And so on...

Last edited:

Miker 1102

Forum Donor

Has anyone had one of these hands on yet? @amirm?

A chip amp hanging off a Wiim Pro Plus (almost, slightly different DAC chip I think). Looks like it could be a good HDMI ARC alternative to my NAD D3045...

Cheers,
Andrew
My NAD was garbage. Just so many issues with it and then over heated. This works flawlessly and has a great application. The sub woofer filter makes it sound so good. I had a blast listening to to classics laste into the night on this 300 dollar amp.

harkpabst

What's the PCB and firmware version of that unit?

@onlyoneme showed in his measurements (to be found in full detail at the WiiM Home Forum) that the filter steepness has been changed between early and later firmware versions. Also, a very early sample (PCB version 2) measured clearly inferior to a later sample (PCB version 5).

Those were just individual samples, of course, so it would be great to put these values into perspective.

harkpabst

The very latest : 5.0.606744. The PCB, I have no idea. @WiiM Team could tell which one they sent (which was back in November, for the record).
You can check the PCB ver. using the HTTP API:

Replace 10.10.10.254 with the actual IP address, of course. Disregard the warning about the unsafe TLS certificate (it's self-signed by WiiM, not issued be a trusted root CA. The resulting JSON object is a bit hard to read without some formatting, but you can simply search for the string PCB_version. It's pretty much at the beginning of the file.

If this unit is from November 2023 it's most probably PCB_version 2.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I now have 2 WiiM Amps, one with PCB 2 and a new one with PCB 5 - the audible transformer 'hum' has been solved with the PCB 5 version.

Code:
{
  "language": "en-GB",
  "ssid": "WiiM Amp-33D6",
  "hideSSID": "0",
  "firmware": "Linkplay.5.0.606744",
  "build": "release",
  "project": "WiiM_AMP",
  "priv_prj": "WiiM_AMP",
  "project_build_name": "WiiM_AMP",
  "Release": "20240205",
  "FW_Release_version": "",
  "PCB_version": "5",

markalot63

I purchased a WiiM amp last week and so far have been very satisfied. I can't hear anything wrong and it has no problem powering my Boston Acoustic A100's. My small room doesn't overheat anymore! As far as their software, meh. I like their built in equalizer but would rather have some simple tone controls (GASP). I stream from a tiny PC with USB connected to a DAC and an older JVC CD player connected to that same DAC. I bought it for the simplicity of the built in power supply and apparent power.

Waiting impatiently for a full spec review.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is absolutely audible. Especially when running tone tests (my bench is in some silent environments).

I would not bother in a domestic use, tho. But this will be mentioned in the review...
Are you talking hum actually from the power supply (emitted phisically from the amp), or out of the speakers?

harkpabst

Mine is absolutely audible. Especially when running tone tests (my bench is in some silent environments).

I would not bother in a domestic use, tho. But this will be mentioned in the review...

To be fair, WiiM seem to offer a free replacement unit to all paying customers who are plagued with coil whining/humming. At least to those paying customers who dare to complain and file a ticket ...

My initial sample (PCB_version 2) didn't show any signs of humming or whining, but a rubber foot was missing from the factory and the inner cardboard had been damaged to a degree that I feared undetected internal damage to show up later. Sent it back. Bought another one from different dealer and was happy enough to find the new one being PCB_version 5.

mikessi

Mine has ZERO noise except when it's actually playing. Even with ear directly over the unit, I hear nothing. Very impressive. Very low noise at speaker, too -- even with 94 dB/W tweeter. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, it's so nice not to have a massive external power brick! The direct AC connection is such a relief, like going back to the integrated amps of old -- but way better, smaller, more powerful, etc.

Top Bottom