• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

MCH

Major Contributor
This here looks a lot as a ESS DAC IC:

1706393320010.png

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
It's not and it's advertised to have ESS chip from 9018 family.
What's not? PCM5121 in the Amp not the same DAC as in the Pro?
Wiim says the Pro uses it: "... advanced TI PCM5121 DAC produces a remarkable 106 dB SNR ..." here: https://www.wiimhome.com/wiimpro/overview

I'm not arguing the main stereo DAC isn't an ESS Sabre. I'm arguing that it isn't weird that a PCM5121 is being used, again, by Wiim (albeit for the sub-out as you've noted). I still don't understand what is supposed to be weird here.

almico

Forum Donor
I just ordered one for my coffee roastery. It's not an ideal environment for audio equipment, so I don't bring the good stuff there. It's also pretty noisy so I need some power. Been using a WiiM Mini, first through a $125 HK PM660 and lately a $150 Adcom GFP-510 integrated amp, both through a pair of 1971 Rectilinear III Lowboys. I have an old 12" sub collection dust that would go well with this little system, but couldn't integrate it before, now I can. I can also bypass the wifi and use a hard ethernet connection. I'm usually standing 100' away from the system when working, so the app is great for controlling the tunes and muting when the phone rings. I haven't taken the Roon plunge yet, but maybe one day. In the mean time I can load up a thumb drive with my CD collection and the WiiM can integrate it. Pretty handy little package for $293 with a little for everyone.

Malis

Could you take a more detailed photo of this place? The chip with the hole is the operational amplifier.
Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• Opamp zoom.jpg
    Opamp zoom.jpg
    951 KB · Views: 76

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
What's not? PCM5121 in the Amp not the same DAC as in the Pro?
Wiim says the Pro uses it: "... advanced TI PCM5121 DAC produces a remarkable 106 dB SNR ..." here: https://www.wiimhome.com/wiimpro/overview

I'm not arguing the main stereo DAC isn't an ESS Sabre. I'm arguing that it isn't weird that a PCM5121 is being used, again, by Wiim (albeit for the sub-out as you've noted). I still don't understand what is supposed to be weird here.
The Amp conceptually is not a "Wiim Pro + ARC + amp + USB" because it was supposed to be based on the Pro Plus. The DAC has changed in the meantime from AKM to ESS and another change would be weird.
If you still feel a need to argue, continue, I will not disturb it.

mikessi

Really surprised this hasn't been reviewed by @amirm yet!?! I'm totally impressed by my sample received 2 wks ago & would love to see ASR measurements.

AFAIK, the Yamaha WXA-50 is its closest competitor (in terms of features, power) but it's 2.5x the price.

Last edited:

grogi.giant

Wiim Amp is on 5th version of the board already... Unless this somehow stabilizes, any measurements are really pointless as what you will be getting will be different from what was measured.

The wiim forum has a very good threads and people have a lot of issues with QC with those units...

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wiim Amp is on 5th version of the board already... Unless this somehow stabilizes, any measurements are really pointless as what you will be getting will be different from what was measured.

The wiim forum has a very good threads and people have a lot of issues with QC with those units...
I dont have any issues. Best product i bought in years.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I just got the amp. It sounds very good. I was able to stream Amazon thru it. I didn't see any option for USB drive on the app. That seemed odd. Would I see it If I was actually using a drive? I will download the manual to see what I am missing.

vazakh

I just got the amp. It sounds very good. I was able to stream Amazon thru it. I didn't see any option for USB drive on the app. That seemed odd. Would I see it If I was actually using a drive? I will download the manual to see what I am missing.
I think you need to insert a USB drive, then it will appear in the application

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
There is very little in the manual or online w.r.t. using the USB drive. Just notes on power supply (= don't use actual solid state drives since the amp can't provide sufficient current, just thumb drives/sticks) and file format (use NTFS, though FAT32 also worked for me).

Load some music on a USB drive (I suggest starting with a modest # of files to initially verify that the indexing of Wiim will meet your needs). Insert into the amp. With some luck (USB currently has intermittent problems on Android, apparently better on iOS) you'll see USB show up under Sources on the app. Click on USB and it will prompt for scanning the drive, click to scan. Now wait . . . it will eventually scan the entire drive. If you repeatedly click on the USB before its done scanning, it will seem (falsely) like you have to initiate another scan to keep it going. Once its fully scanned, the USB will also show up in the app as a server under Home Music Share.

Good luck.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is very little in the manual or online w.r.t. using the USB drive. Just notes on power supply (= don't use actual solid state drives since the amp can't provide sufficient current, just thumb drives/sticks) and file format (use NTFS, though FAT32 also worked for me).

Load some music on a USB drive (I suggest starting with a modest # of files to initially verify that the indexing of Wiim will meet your needs). Insert into the amp. With some luck (USB currently has intermittent problems on Android, apparently better on iOS) you'll see USB show up under Sources on the app. Click on USB and it will prompt for scanning the drive, click to scan. Now wait . . . it will eventually scan the entire drive. If you repeatedly click on the USB before its done scanning, it will seem (falsely) like you have to initiate another scan to keep it going. Once its fully scanned, the USB will also show up in the app as a server under Home Music Share.

Good luck.
In the latest version of the app (on IOS anyway) it does not appear under sources anymore - you have to click on "Home Media Share" and click on the WiimAmp in there and there is an option to scan for files.

Sadly with my large collection it still takes along time then crashes the App after about 62,000 files - so I guess they still haven;t fixed the out of memory bug.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor

Good luck.
Thank you. I appreciate that a lot.

Top Bottom