• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

I wonder what serial number is the cutoff for the first batch vs the second improved batch and if anyone here has a second batch unit and can share photos of the PCB. My guess is the fix was silicone hot snot on the problematic transformer.
Isn't coil hum from ALL the coil wiring vibrating? Any glue/sealant would only dampen the outermost wires, leaving the majority of the coil potentially still vibrating. Rather than crude re-work like you suggest, I think the more likely scenario is a batch of out-of-spec (or mis-spec'd) SMPS sub-assemblies in the first wave of manufacturing. Hopefully to be replaced by quieter (or ideally silent) power supplies.

Isn't coil hum from ALL the coil wiring vibrating? Any glue/sealant would only dampen the outermost wires, leaving the majority of the coil potentially still vibrating. Rather than crude re-work like you suggest, I think the more likely scenario is a batch of out-of-spec (or mis-spec'd) SMPS sub-assemblies in the first wave of manufacturing. Hopefully to be replaced by quieter (or ideally silent) power supplies.
Slow setting glue or varnish are also sometimes used if the issue can't be resolved in a satisfactory manner by damping the outside of the transformer. When the transformer vibrates, the slow setting glue or varnish will seep into the inner wiring.

I have ordered my unit from audiophonics and estimated delivery is 4th of January. I will try and disassemble it as fast as I can and report on the humming issue, if there will be one.
I hope there will be some serial numbers so we can compare from which batch each unit is coming from.

I'll check my serial. My unit has no humming, static or noise coming from speakers without playing anything. I guess I got the second batch. Received two weeks ago from Amazon.

I'll check my serial. My unit has no humming, static or noise coming from speakers without playing anything. I guess I got the second batch. Received two weeks ago from Amazon.
Or yours wasn’t one of the “very small number of units from our first manufacturing batch” affected…

The reports were about humming coming from the amp enclosure, not the speakers.

I just got my unit from Amazon US and Amazon is as awful as always: the official box came dirty, badly dented and the internal foam packaging was crushed and broken.

But onto the good aspects:

1) Unit sounds great! I much prefer the sound signature vs both my NAD D 3045 (roll-off on the top end) and Arylic B50 (lean) and there is more than enough power for my 3ish ohm bookshelf speakers.
2) So far I'm not experiencing any weirdness with random output loss or audio popping/clicking over HDMI ARC like I was with either of the two other aforementioned amps.

Neutral:
1) I haven't been able to reproduce the static shock issue yet.

Now, the bad aspects:
1) My newly received unit absolutely, definitely emits a humming sound both when playing audio and even when standby. It's not super loud, but it's definitely annoying. I reached out to CS already about this and am awaiting a response.
2) Audio input level isn't saved per input source. I almost blew my speakers and ears out switching from HDMI ARC (low volume) back to WiFi streaming (high volume). This should be fixed ASAP and is standard on any other similar device. Even my cheapo Arylic B50 saves audio output levels per input source.
3) Input auto sensing doesn't seem to work reliably for me. Eg I'm WiFi streaming, I stop the Chromecast, start playing video on my TV, and I usually have to manually select HDMI input source in the app instead of it changing over automatically.
4) There seems to be no HDMI CEC power support, so standby power on/off doesn't follow the TV (unlike the Arylic B50 or NAD D 3045). Note: that volume control over HDMI CEC does appear to work fine.
5) This is a minor quibble, but my unit came with some slight cosmetic defects in the top aluminum cover finish.
6) Another minor quibble, but the initial off gassing smell when first running the amp is truly vile, lol!

All things considered, as long as I can get a replacement in a timely manner and no other new issues crop up, I'll keep the WiiM Amp because it performs relatively well (esp at the price point).

Last edited:
I just got my unit from Amazon US. Amazon is awful as always. Packaging came dirty, badly dented and the internal foam was all shattered.

1) Unit sounds great! I much prefer the sound signature vs both my NAD D 3045 (roll-off on the top end) and Arylic B50 (lean) and there is more than enough power for my 3ish ohm bookshelf speakers.
2) So far I'm not experiencing any weirdness with random output loss or audio popping/clicking over HDMI ARC like I was with either of the two other aforementioned amps.

Neutral:

Now, the bad aspects:
1) My newly received unit absolutely, definitely emits a humming sound both when playing audio and even when standby. It's not super loud, but it's definitely annoying. I reached out to CS already about this and am awaiting a response.
2) Audio input level isn't saved per input source. I almost blew my speakers and ears out switching from HDMI ARC (low volume) back to WiFi streaming (high volume). This should be fixed ASAP and is standard on any other similar device. Even my cheapo Arylic B50 saves audio output levels per input source.
3) Input auto sensing doesn't seem to work reliably for me. Eg I'm WiFi streaming, I stop the Chromecast, start playing video on my TV, and I usually have to manually select HDMI input source in the app instead of it changing over automatically.
4) There seems to be no HDMI CEC support, so standby power on/off doesn't follow the TV (unlike the Arylic B50 or NAD D 3045).
5) This is a minor quibble, but my unit came with some slight cosmetic defects in the top aluminum cover finish.
6) Another minor quibble, but the initial off gassing smell when first running the amp is truly vile, lol!

All things considered, as long as I can get a replacement in a timely manner and no other new issues crop up, I'll keep the WiiM Amp because it performs relatively well (esp at the price point).
I guess we will see if humming sound gets louder as time goes on .

I just got my unit from Amazon US. Amazon is awful as always. Packaging came dirty, badly dented and the internal foam was all shattered.

Neutral:

Now, the bad aspects:
4) There seems to be no HDMI CEC power support, so standby power on/off doesn't follow the TV (unlike the Arylic B50 or NAD D 3045). Note: that volume control over HDMI CEC does appear to work fine.

Thanks for the little review.

1. i am pretty sure that its not just a small number of devices of that batch, but rather most or even all of them. There are inly very few people not noticing it with there devices. Maybe they have a newer batch.

2. Agree regarding the input loudness issue. Offering a relative limit for the device in general does not fix this issue as volume is fine for one input, but extremely loud or low on another. Wiim needs to balance this or/and save per input

3. internal packaging is too weak, almost everybody got the cardboard inlay crushed. Ni big Deal, but they should change that.

4. CEC works only for volume. I dont realy care as I can set the standby to 2minutes. I also like to shutdown the tv without the amp going off. They should add an option for that though.

5. Smell: yeah. But tbh my Wiim Pros have the classic „electrical“ smell… even after half a year. Atleast the material doesn't smell

For the software issues: Open a ticket through the app. This should lead to a higher priority

Btw: I asked the shop where I ordered two Amps. They told me that smaller shops (as in not amazon) havent received their orders yet. They are are scheduled for early january. Might be a new batch.

My order from wiim audio Germany just shipped.
I also raised a feature request for individual volume defaults per source trough the App. Maybe if more do do that it will draw Wiims attention.

1. i am pretty sure that its not just a small number of devices of that batch, but rather most or even all of them. There are inly very few people not noticing it with there devices. Maybe they have a newer batch.

I think you need to balance that against the fact that people are far more likely to post about a problem than something not being a problem.

But ultimately, it’s irrelevant. It might be that 99% of the initial units are dodgy or 1%, it makes no difference to anyone other than those who gave those units.

If they’ve fixed it, they’ve fixed it.

Neutral:

Now, the bad aspects:

Thank you. I will get mine soon but I’m now really worried about point 2 and damaging my speakers. How can I avoid this audio level problem ?

Thank you. I will get mine soon but I’m now really worried about point 2 and damaging my speakers. How can I avoid this audio level problem ?
Set the "volume limit" to the absolute lowest you can tolerate. Double check the volume before you press play after changing audio input. File a feedback ticket to WiiM asking them to implement volume per audio input source. Hope they implement it soon.

Neutral:

Now, the bad aspects:

Thank you. I will get mine soon but I’m now really worried about point 2 and damaging my speakers. How can I avoid this audio level problem ? Maybe not using HDMI but optical cable for
Set the "volume limit" to the absolute lowest you can tolerate. Double check the volume before you press play after changing audio input. File a feedback ticket to WiiM asking them to implement volume per audio input source. Hope they implement it soon.

Will do. Thanks. I always thought the tv with ARC saves the volume level I set when turning my tv on and off. But good to know.

This has been an issue elsewhere. Someone had a DAC with a digital volume control, which had somehow re-set to ear-bleadingly high levels after a power cut or software update or something.

The solution there was to turn on the DAC and check the volume before turning the amp on. Not possible here, but you can certainly check the volume before you start playing anything, or switching inputs.

This has been an issue elsewhere. Someone had a DAC with a digital volume control, which had somehow re-set to ear-bleadingly high levels after a power cut or software update or something.

The solution there was to turn on the DAC and check the volume before turning the amp on. Not possible here, but you can certainly check the volume before you start playing anything, or switching inputs.
It shouldn't be an issue here when so many other products manage this fine with per input volume control even at lower price points (eg Arylic B50) and higher prices points (NAD D 3045). I could understand it for a dumb DAC, but not a smart, connected streaming device in 2023 with multiple inputs.

Back
Top Bottom