• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do so many prefer the sound of "Class A" amplification vs. "linear" amps?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Yeah those speakers definitely have that reputation, often pulled up as an excuse for needing an amp with that kind of capability :) Have always wondered how many are actually in use, tho...
There is some indication of potential numbers given away in the serial numbers sequencing.
z apogee.png

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I infer that there could be up to 4000 of Ver2. So if that is reasonable then they must be in rare quantity.
I read it more that the original series had SNs starting with 10000 but nothing beyond that. The later version having SNs starting with 6000 I took to mean they didn't expect to make more than 4000 of them....but again no indication of actual production. Hard to know....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
I read it more that the original series had SNs starting with 10000 but nothing beyond that. The later version having SNs starting with 6000 I took to mean they didn't expect to make more than 4000 of them....but again no indication of actual production. Hard to know....
I searched Canuck Audio mart and Kijiji and I found 2 pair of Apogee panels for sale. That's basically all of Canada unless you are not connected and strapped into the net.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I searched Canuck Audio mart and Kijiji and I found 2 pair of Apogee panels for sale. That's basically all of Canada unless you are not connected and strapped into the net.
I figure there aren't likely a whole bunch that have survived this long in any case. Just curious....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
I figure there aren't likely a whole bunch that have survived this long in any case. Just curious....
Well. One Dood wanted about $3500 and the other $2800 in Canadian funds for a pair. One guy complained about a slight rattle at elevated volume levels. I read that the drivers last but the adhesive strip between the driver and the surround breaks down and requires replacement.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well. One Dood wanted about $3500 and the other $2800 in Canadian funds for a pair. One guy complained about a slight rattle at elevated volume levels. I read that the drivers last but the adhesive strip between the driver and the surround breaks down and requires replacement.
Curious if the ribbons were robust, too. A weakness with the similar looking Carver Amazing speakers I had....

Axo1989

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Where is the spec for BTU's ? :)

Haha. As it happens, Krell do list BTUs (no apostrophes for plural, come on) for Evolution series, which I consider peak Krell (they didn't do BTU for all their products, sadly). We have the first series, and the e-series, which have an additional low current standby mode. They are class A, but with proprietary plateau bias so they don't run hot until they need to. The peak output is instructive (and pretty much what standard class A would put out constantly) and also an indication why we don't have many 900 watt class A amps without power management on offer.

Here's original series 600/1200/2400 and 900/1800/3600 watt (into 8/4/2 Ω) monoblocs (left and right respectively). Remember to multiply by two for stereo.

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 10.12.04 am.png

Here's the e series (they are the ones to get, obviously).

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 10.11.42 am.png

I've spent a bit of time listening to the baby 400 monoblocs driving Focal Grande Utopia. They do ok.

Last edited:

Paolo

I commend him on trying. The problem is that he (the father) alternated every single time, never going out of his alternating order. He needed to pull it and re-plug it into the same one a few times to mix it up. The test is basically invalid as the father was helping and just didn't really know what to do except change it when his son told him too. Great attempt, it just needed a bit more to make it "in the home valid". I will not tear it apart but leave it as a botched attempt. But, if he does it again with some minimal advice from me (I try to be helpful) he will get the answer he seeks. He now thinks the results are fantastic and that as he stated, "he is not crazy". If I helped him doing maybe two or three things different he would have seen that he could not reliably tell the difference. Oh well.
Joshua often talks about how well amps and DACs measures. Seems like he looks at ASR, but then magically forget things about proper testing when it’s time to suggest expensive pieces of equipment. Otherwise how can you say to hear differences between the two Topping amps with a straight face?

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
no inherent advantage in practical terms for a class A.
I will agree with that. In terms of a pure, clean sound that throws off very little heat, the best amp I own is my topping pa3s. I have prettier amps, but none better.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I will agree with that. In terms of a pure, clean sound that throws off very little heat, the best amp I own is my topping pa3s. I have prettier amps, but none better.
In fact, smaller and cooler means better to build active speakers and in general, friendlier to work with.

Top Bottom