• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do so many prefer the sound of "Class A" amplification vs. "linear" amps?

OP
R

rsoffer

For all of you who've experienced benefits to class A, can you explain why this topology would lead to better sound?

Is it higher levels of harmonic distortion? More dynamics due to the always on nature of the transistors? Clipping which leads to the rounding out of peaks?

DSJR

Major Contributor
I've owned and operated 2 class A USA made amps. Both are the same amp but came in rack mount and standard width. Ratings are as follows. It does sound smoother and more musical.
View attachment 235620
I've got to say this sir - and you know it's coming - 0.02% distortion is what without properly working it out, -65dB or so? That's almost audible.

A respected UK designer once told me that certainly as of the 90's, the newer generations of output devices were so well matched and capable, AB was absolutely fine at moderate bias settings and A totally ridiculous (he loathed audiophiles inclined to audiophooldom!). Got to say I loved his amps back then (AVI) as you turned them on, enjoyed music for hours and then turned them off after, the amps running barely warm even when thrashed.

Piere

For all of you who've experienced benefits to class A, can you explain why this topology would lead to better sound?

Is it higher levels of harmonic distortion? More dynamics due to the always on nature of the transistors? Clipping which leads to the rounding out of peaks?

Look here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...tion-vs-linear-amps.38063/page-2#post-1341075 (previous page) It is just the lack of so called cross over distortion! Cross over distortion, if high enough, is a nasty sounding distortion. Earley transistor class-AB amps did suffer often from it and therefore is was also named "Transistorsound". But modern class-AB amps suppresses this kind of distorsion more than far enough in general.

OP
R

rsoffer

Look here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...tion-vs-linear-amps.38063/page-2#post-1341075 (previous page) It is just the lack of so called cross over distortion! Cross over distortion, if high enough, is a nasty sounding distortion. Earley transistor class-AB amps did suffer often from it and therefore is was also named "Transistorsound". But modern class-AB amps suppresses this kind of distorsion more than far enough in general.

Ok, but we're talking about modern linear A/B amplifiers characterized as "sterile" in comparison with distortion numbers that have more zeroes than Bezos' net worth.

Piere

I've got to say this sir - and you know it's coming - 0.02% distortion is what without properly working it out, -65dB or so? That's almost audible.

Audible does not mean distractable! Tube amps sound fine with 0.5% audible distortion. Your bass speakers even wit a few percent distortion. Distortion expressed in % doesn't say anything about the quality.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
If the amp does not add audible distortion, there is no difference. If it does, it is an expensive way to do so when you can EQ.

Piere

If the amp does not add audible distortion, there is no difference. If it does, it is an expensive way to do so when you can EQ.

Agree. But if you go that way, where do you draw the border of "Audible"? For DAC's, at ASR, the line was drawn the at -120dB. So it looks reasonable to that for power amps as well.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
as I've never owned a class A amp
Depending on your age, you might have. :D If you had one of these in the 60's or 70's, it would have been class-A.

MSZwaWQ9QXBp

Most regular radios, car radios, and TVs had class-A output stages in the 60's & 70's. Once integrated circuits took over, I'd guess the default became class A/B.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Agree. But if you go that way, where do you draw the border of "Audible"? For DAC's, at ASR, the line was drawn the at -120dB. So it looks reasonable to that for power amps as well.
Here you can test yourself.:)

When you're still testing, also check this::)

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
About audibility of "blue" region amps,we seem to forget fast:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Holmz

Major Contributor

No it is generally lower levels of distortion.
And maybe higher levels of 2nd and 3rd harmonic in some cases.

Piere

Unless you get those 350 lb Class A Beasts!

That beast is not a pure (full) class-A, but just partly class-A! Looking at the cooling capability no more than 75 - 100 Watts class-A, higher levels in class-B. Power requirements states 300W... so class-A bias will be no more than about 100W/channel

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Don’t forget about this thread. I do agree that you should be able to do this in EQ but it is not clear what settings should be applied. I also want to reiterate, if you hear a difference, you must be able to measure the difference with a PK Metric greater than -50 dBFS and have negative controls showing that measurement of identical products has a PK metric in the range of -90 dB or better. (In that case, the same exact setups were giving me around -120 dB!)

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What kind of A / AB class amplifiers do you know that perform very well / great in various measurements?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What if it’s not the topology but the build?

There is science that heat affects linearity of the transistors. That’s one of the design innovations of Thermaltrak.

There are few Class A devices with bad thermal management, There are good and bad thermal management examples for Class AB amplifiers.

Piere

Themaltrack is way to slow to be effective for distortion cancellation at audio frequencies. Its only pupose is to help stabilising the operating point of the amplifier when the amplifier heats up. However is has nothing to do with the "Class-A sound"

Vacceo

Major Contributor

Don’t forget about this thread. I do agree that you should be able to do this in EQ but it is not clear what settings should be applied. I also want to reiterate, if you hear a difference, you must be able to measure the difference with a PK Metric greater than -50 dBFS and have negative controls showing that measurement of identical products has a PK metric in the range of -90 dB or better. (In that case, the same exact setups were giving me around -120 dB!)
I agree. If you hear a difference, if it does not show on measurements, it's psychoacoustical, not in the reproduction chai

Piere

Agree with that. Problem is when you see differences in the measurements it is most time hard to correlate to what you hear. Historical there is IMO confidence that a pleasant sounding amplifier should have the distortion harmonics profile dropping off gradually and as fast as possible.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Agree with that. Problem is when you see differences in the measurements it is most time hard to correlate to what you hear. Historical there is IMO confidence that a pleasant sounding amplifier should have the distortion harmonics profile dropping off gradually and as fast as possible.
Pleasant or unpleasant is up to the listener. That's why I prefer transparent systems, so I can get my choice of distortion from the source itself (I love high distortion as part of the music creation, no need to add extra sauce).

Top Bottom