• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do DACs often use USB B for the USB input?

KSTR

Major Contributor
USB-B has stood the test of time as the most robust USB connection so far and is used in critical/professional environments. There are waterproof variants and standard XLR socket compatible versions etc.
USB-C has not and probably never will reach that status, it actually is mechanically fragile as hell compared to USB-B.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
that's a good point

have you ever seen a broken type b cable or worse, a sunken broken in type b socket?

now lets talk about micro usb or type c

MCH

Major Contributor
Could in the future usb-c make possible to have desktop DACs and little power amps get more voltage and power than 5V/4.5W? What do you think? (I see currently PD spec already allows 48V/5A). In this case, I do see an advantage on usb-c. I can imagine a little raspberry pi on steroids driving directly a DAC/amp combo with no additional brick and cable, and I guess making devices simpler and cheaper.
Otherwise I personally don't care. Other than dongles, I rarely unplug my DACs.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I only just received a cool set of USB M-F/A-B adaptors I bought (1 of each), that basically allow you to do anything you want.

Sometimes you want to turn a printer cable into an extension, other times, you want to make an 'illegal' combination without dragging cables back through holes and conduits.

1694857413126.png

And get a few of these:

1694857514576.png

KSTR

Major Contributor
have you ever seen a broken type b cable or worse, a sunken broken in type b socket?
I actually do have one device, an old TASCAM US-122 interface where I cannot remove the cable from the USB-B socket anymore because somehow it got wedged.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We need the EU to step in and ban all connectors except for the USB-C

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
USB-B has stood the test of time as the most robust USB connection so far and is used in critical/professional environments. There are waterproof variants and standard XLR socket compatible versions etc.
USB-C has not and probably never will reach that status, it actually is mechanically fragile as hell compared to USB-B.
I can't think of anything stopping manufacturers putting a Type C connector in an XLR or other shell like they have done with the A and B varieties. Neutrik have taken a different approach to making Type C more robust: https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/multimedia-connectors/mediacon

kchap

Forum Donor
While my previous comment was a flippant dig at apple, I do think it's time for the USB Implementers Forum to deprecate the A and B connectors. While we will need adapter cables for sometime, it would be a step in the right direction if all new equipment only supported USB C.

And sure, a locking USB C jack is a good idea.

boxerfan88

USB-B contact remains rock solid even after a long time.

USB-A contact can loosen & get flaky over time.

Micro-USB is the worst, spoils easily.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I love USB-C and have been overjoyed to see audio devices start to switch to those connectors. One connector instead of A, B, and the various micro varieties (not to mention those weird USB3 wide connectors used for external hard drives and such). And you can flip it either way instead of the perpetual USB A "which side is the right one" issue. And in my experience at least, USB-C connections are physically nice and tight.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I actually do have one device, an old TASCAM US-122 interface where I cannot remove the cable from the USB-B socket anymore because somehow it got wedged.

I have one of those too and guess what? Mine got stuck too!

But it does come out if you are determined. Then give it a bit of contact cleaner and pick an easier type B from your box of cables.

KSTR

Major Contributor
And in my experience at least, USB-C connections are physically nice and tight.
Everybody loves a small connector until it breaks
The internet is already quite filled with reports of broken USB-C on smartphones. If you are lucky it can be replaced, if not, game over.
USB-B PCB soldered connector does hardly ever break -- you can even walk over it -- , all others (Mini, Micro, C) do and most of the time ruin the device.

KSTR

Major Contributor
I have one of those too and guess what? Mine got stuck too!

But it does come out if you are determined. Then give it a bit of contact cleaner and pick an easier type B from your box of cables.
That's funny, maybe more than a coincidence? With mine it looks like some metal tab of the plug (or receptacle) has bent out and produces a hard lock. I can move and wiggle the connector but it reaches an end stop at some point. I stopped bothering -- I hardly use that interface these days and also have an US-144 as a backup -- I simply use the "fixed" cable and an extender cord when needed.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The internet is already quite filled with reports of broken USB-C on smartphones. If you are lucky it can be replaced, if not, game over.
USB-B PCB soldered connector does hardly ever break -- you can even walk over it -- , all others (Mini, Micro, C) do and most of the time ruin the device.
Fair enough. I have a 2020 iPhone and (and in any event I use a magnetic wireless charger), so I don't have experience with USB-C connectors in a situation like that, where the cable is being plugged and unplugged every day or two and the device with the port is used outdoors and such. My experience is only with a MacBook Air that I have to charge 1-2x a week, an audio interface that just sits there plugged in all the time, and an iMac to which I plug USB-C cables only occasionally.

I will say that no USB-B port I've ever used (printers, DACs, and so on) has failed - but every single USB-B port I've ever had has gotten loose over time.

And I think we can all agree that micro USB-style ports are... not good. :)

OP
Barrelhouse Solly

Barrelhouse Solly

Fair enough. I have a 2020 iPhone and (and in any event I use a magnetic wireless charger), so I don't have experience with USB-C connectors in a situation like that, where the cable is being plugged and unplugged every day or two and the device with the port is used outdoors and such. My experience is only with a MacBook Air that I have to charge 1-2x a week, an audio interface that just sits there plugged in all the time, and an iMac to which I plug USB-C cables only occasionally.

I will say that no USB-B port I've ever used (printers, DACs, and so on) has failed - but every single USB-B port I've ever had has gotten loose over time.

And I think we can all agree that micro USB-style ports are... not good. :)
The only problem I've had with micro USB was with my Google Nexus tablet bought 2011. The port failed after about 2 years. It was a known "feature." It was the most common problem with what was, at the time, a really good tablet.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Unfortunatey some cables have the logo on the wrong side. Or none at all. Plus hosts with A-port not always have the socket in an orientation that would need the logo on top, but the other way around. So yes, USB-A is less* than 50% chance of plugging it in right the first time.

* First time - not work. Turn around - not work - turn around again - works.

Top Bottom