• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha P-225 digital piano can not connect to iPad by a USB-C to USB-A adaptor

Circle

I've been attempting to link my Yamaha P-225 to my iPad Pro using a USB-C to USB-A adapter and a standard USB-A to USB-B cable. However, both the iPad and the Smart Pianist app fail to detect the piano in this setup.
1701436324363.jpeg

But when I change the adaptor to a USB Hub that has not only USB but a lot of other ports, the iPad can detect the piano without any issues.
1701436369431.jpeg

I tested the same adapter and cable with both a MacBook and an iPhone 15 Pro, and in both cases, they successfully recognized the piano. The USB Hub also consistently worked across all devices.
1701436388568.jpeg

The perplexing part is that the iPad alone struggles to establish a successful connection to the piano through the adapter. However, the iPad does recognize a flash drive connected via the same adapter.

I just wonder why? Is this the issue of Apple or Yamaha? Or the connection is diffrent in USB protocol?

JaysonRL

have you found any solution? I haven’t been been successful either.

JaysonRL

I did talk with Yamaha tech support after my last message and I’m told that because of the midi interface,we need an AV adapter. Just usb cables alone won’t work. It needs to be dongle that does audio video.

OP
Circle

Circle

I did talk with Yamaha tech support after my last message and I’m told that because of the midi interface,we need an AV adapter. Just usb cables alone won’t work. It needs to be dongle that does audio video.
That doesn't make sense, cuz the iPhone and MacBook can connect to it, only the iPad doesn't work.

Top Bottom