• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why All Products Look The Same

KSTR

Major Contributor
They did actually change the shape of cars for pedestrian safety.
[...]
Correct, and it goes beyond this.
[...]
While these measures certainly help to reduce the fatality rate compared to SUVs without those features, in absolute terms SUV's are still much more dangerous by design. There is tons of hard data on that.

This January I myself had a bicycle crash (through no fault of my own) and got away with a fractured ischium bone (not recommended ;-)... from the impact of landing on the ground after being catapulted up in the air by the slanted low height hood of an old sedan. When giving details of the crash to the emergency room personnel they said I should consider myself very happy that it was not a SUV as they constantly see way worse injuries with these for very similar accidents, right of way taken while in a roundabout.

Sorry, @others for the off-topic

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha, what a coincidence that you mention CD- transport. Right now I listen to CDs just as a change to streaming. :)
I use a Sony Bluray player. Beautiful, it's not but which CD, DVD, Bluray player is that?

Digital out from the Sony in to a Topping E30 DAC. Works superbly well. Remote control for both. I think I bought the Sony for around $20 or something like that. I don't really remember. See attached pictures how it looks.

Just buy a DVD/Bluray player and you have digital output and use it as transport. Used ones cost almost no money at all. Buy for around $20-40 and test.:)

One thing to think about. DVD and or Bluray players may have a mechanical ticking sound. Just check it before you buy. Or just buy and try.

I suspect you know everything I wrote above so it might be a tip for others in that case.:)
I have an Audiolab transport at the moment (with Topping E30) but it's not much fun to use or look at.

Trouble is the modern high-end transports seem to be a subtle blend of bland and ugly, like this:

This Teac is the front-runner at the moment it ticks some boxes but like a lot of the current retro kit it doesn't manage to tick them all:

Owl

Sorry to hear about your crash. I hope your doing better. It's easy to over simplify and pick on your favorite adversaries. First off, bicycles and motorized vehicles do not belong in the same space. The speed differential is usually too great, and the physics involved with mass cannot be overcome. Second, many bicyclist's ignore traffic laws creating an unsafe situation. Third ( probably first ) is the negligence of motorist that has become an epidemic here in America.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I have an Audiolab transport at the moment (with Topping E30) but it's not much fun to use or look at.

Trouble is the modern high-end transports seem to be a subtle blend of bland and ugly, like this:

This Teac is the front-runner at the moment it ticks some boxes but like a lot of the current retro kit it doesn't manage to tick them all:

What is a "high-end transport"?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Linear motor sled assembly, linear motor drawer assembly, higher reliability laser assembly, sometimes includes a bigger disc/CLV motor.
Now I got curious, I have no idea how it works with sound quality on transports.:)

Okay the build quality of the transport may vary but does it affect the signal in any audible way? That is to say, the quality of the signal that the transport picks up, produces and sends to the DAC? Isn't it "just" a digital signal, it either works or it doesn't?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
one with excessively high build quality. (No I don't think it will sound better which is why I'm only concerned about the cosmetics).
And it fits into this thread about design. Nop, few are beautiful.:)

Edit:
The ones you showed, regarding looks then I'd rather choose my used $20 Sony Blu -Ray. Not pretty the Sony but in any case a bit smaller and more discreet.;)
16899960.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230714_232053.jpg
    IMG_20230714_232053.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay the build quality of the transport may vary but does it affect the signal in any audible way? That is to say, the quality of the signal that the transport picks up, produces and sends to the DAC? Isn't it "just" a digital signal, it either works or it doesn't?
The output of the laser goes into the RF amp and then outputs to the next IC. The RF amp determines the RF eye pattern and calibration. The laser come pre-calibrated and is not to be adjusted. The assembly of laser and RF amp mostly determine how skippy the machine is. It can also determine the hissy'ness of the servos. The parameters of operation of the CD format allows for errors and such but what comes out of a mechanism that is within specification for the format is not supposed to sound different than another mechanism of the same standard. So the answer to your question is no they should not sound different other than skipping and chirping with hissy'ness etc.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
The output of the laser goes into the RF amp and then outputs to the next IC. The RF amp determines the RF eye pattern and calibration. The laser come pre-calibrated and is not to be adjusted. The assembly of laser and RF amp mostly determine how skippy the machine is. It can also determine the hissy'ness of the servos. The parameters of operation of the CD format allows for errors and such but what comes out of a mechanism that is within specification for the format is not supposed to sound different than another mechanism of the same standard. So the answer to your question is no they should not sound different other than skipping and chirping with hissy'ness etc.
Aha, thanks for the explanation. :)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the trend seems to be for bland everywhere now. Cars have been bland for a long time. Hi-fi has just become hyper-minimalist black or silver slabs with ugly blue displays. You might get some sculpting or moulding of the case but that's even worse IMO.

I walked past a huge furniture shop the other day - you could have parked two 747s in there, I'm not kidding. And with one exception every single bit of furniture they had on display was some shade of grey.

I get that right now that's what most people want but what if you're not one of them? Whose catering for the rest of us?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Aha, thanks for the explanation. :)
The RF eye pattern looks like this, is difficult to trigger on due to jitter and a constantly changing voltage level that is difficult for nearly all oscilloscopes to trigger ON and if one wants to really dial it in requires a lab grade oscilloscope. Anything less and it's mostly a blur of diamonds and crosshatching. That's one of the first things one looks at with a CD player that seems to be functioning.
Cdeye_en.png

Shiva

For those looking for a CD player that is not a boring box, check out some offerings from Shanling.

download.jpg

Top Bottom