• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which class D amplifier would you guys choose?

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello Audio DIYers.
No offence, but in the halcyon days of paper magazines they used to call this type of gushing prose an "infomercial" :).

notabenem

So 6 months later, prices have moved a bit. Does anyone have an up-to-date 'research' regarding the cheapest way to get a stereo amp using either Hypex NC400/500 or 1ET400 up & running? Ideally with a trigger input (as I really don't want to toggle everything on and off by hand).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

notabenem

Thanks, Matias. I forgot to mention, I am based in EU. It seems VTV is US based? Shipping quote to EU may increase the prices (+ duty, VAT) somewhat.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, Matias. I forgot to mention, I am based in EU. It seems VTV is US based? Shipping quote to EU may increase the prices (+ duty, VAT) somewhat.

Probably something like that

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...ass-d-stereo-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14393.html

or that

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...s-d-amplifier-2x400w-4-ohm-ncore-p-14154.html

"dual mono" NC400 plus trigger in a nicer case than the kits for approx 100 eur more than 2 kits

Own the dual mono hypex kits, happy with them. Have ordered a couple of times from audiophonics, happy with them as well.

notabenem

Probably something like that

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...ass-d-stereo-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14393.html

or that

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...s-d-amplifier-2x400w-4-ohm-ncore-p-14154.html

"dual mono" NC400 plus trigger in a nicer case than the kits for approx 100 eur more than 2 kits

Own the dual mono hypex kits, happy with them. Have ordered a couple of times from audiophonics, happy with them as well.
So we're still speaking north of 1500EUR in the EU for the cheapest assembled options?

The eval1 is selling for 800 EUR (incl. VAT) these days. Needs a PSU (200) and a case (200). That would be ~1200 incl. VAT. Have I forgot something?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So we're still speaking north of 1500EUR in the EU for the cheapest assembled options?

The eval1 is selling for 800 EUR (incl. VAT) these days. Needs a PSU (200) and a case (200). That would be ~1200 incl. VAT. Have I forgot something?

Well, 1490 seems like south of 1500 to me :)
The case definitely looks better than the Ghent cases (I have those on my kits) and I don't have a trigger.

But since you have your solution already, just go for it.

EB1000

I've had the Icepower 125asx2 BTL (v2) as my front channel amp and I was very pleased with its performance (NAD C658 and Focal Aria 906). Then I've upgraded to Hypex NC400 DIY kits - I did not noticed any difference! Both sounds just as good despite the fact the Icepower costs only 50% of the price... Maybe because my speakers are not that power hungry. Perhaps if I had the Aria 948 I'd noticed a difference...

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I've had the Icepower 125asx2 BTL (v2) as my front channel amp and I was very pleased with its performance (NAD C658 and Focal Aria 906). Then I've upgraded to Hypex NC400 DIY kits - I did not noticed any difference! Both sounds just as good despite the fact the Icepower costs only 50% of the price... Maybe because my speakers are not that power hungry. Perhaps if I had the Aria 948 I'd noticed a difference...

This is precisely why I am building a three channel NC400 amp. I want to subjectively compare the sound of NC400 vs the cheap icepower (or even other cheaper) offerings. On paper, we know the answer. I've got LS3/5a clones for LCR which I will compare for HT use, and then I've got ascend acoustics sierra 2ex with the RAAL tweeters I will compare. I want to know where the point of diminishing returns kicks in. It's easy for me to get caught up in having 'the best' but we know that costs a lot of money :)

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seeing this thread pop up again prompts me to endorse VTV Amplifier as a US-based provider of class D amplification. They make amp based on Hypex, Puriri, and Pascal modules.

Personally I'm very pleased with their Purifi Stereo with VTV buffer equipped with Sparkos SS3602 op amps, (US$1500). They now provide a Purifi Stereo amp with the original EVAL 1 buffer which at US$1040 has to be considered a huge bargain.

There was some early ragging of VTV for quality control but my personal experience with their amps and their service has been extremely positive.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I voted with credit card. Got a pair of Orchard BOSC or Starkcrimson before Christmas. Purely power amp, performance is better than needed. Like the lower gain it offers.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Getting back to my Denon Heos Amp SRE2 (as box description) and the BT capability, what is driving me crazy: I can only find one type of this product on all official sites, no mention of mk1, mk2 etc My product looks exactly as the one on the Amazon or Denon site, still I cannot pair it by BT. Moreover, the manual refers to a mysterious BT pairing button on the back, a button that should be labeled with BT pictogram - however, both my product and official photos show no dedicated BT button on the back. Anybody, a hint?

Dundas

Forum Donor
Getting back to my Denon Heos Amp SRE2 (as box description) and the BT capability, what is driving me crazy: I can only find one type of this product on all official sites, no mention of mk1, mk2 etc My product looks exactly as the one on the Amazon or Denon site, still I cannot pair it by BT. Moreover, the manual refers to a mysterious BT pairing button on the back, a button that should be labeled with BT pictogram - however, both my product and official photos show no dedicated BT button on the back. Anybody, a hint?

You have a Version 1 which did not have Bluetooth. It was added to the Version 2 Heos components. You can use a USB Bluetooth dongle to add Bluetooth to yours.

Top Bottom