• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which class D amplifier would you guys choose?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pearl white or black? Love the look and can't get better inside
Obviously, Pearl White (with black feets), to match with my white Evoke 20s:

WNNH4115.jpeg
SHBG7347.jpeg
LXMH1345.jpeg
20181203134410_dynaudio_evoke_10_white_-_lifestyle_close-up_1_3.png

Feanor

Forum Donor
I recently purchased an NC252MP-based amp. I'm loving it. I haven't decided whether I'll sell my Pass Labs X150.5, (originally 10X the price).

The NC252MP has plenty of power in my small-medium room and at the volumes I listen to. The NC252MP has been well reviewed here at ASR: see the IOM Ncore Pro review.

I bought mine from VTV Amplifier. There reasons were (i) the rock-bottom price, and (ii) that VTV is located in Ohio, a short distance away from me in southwestern Ontario -- I got it in 6 days via UPS despite it having to cross the border.

Regarding shipping times, I ordered a Schiit Freya + that needs to come from Valencia, CA. I ordered it on July 13th,. Schiit warned that FedEx was experiencing delays and I general I prefer to used USPS because its brokerage fees are much less that FedEx', so I selected USPS.

Schiit was initially out-of-stock and finally got it built and ready for shipment on Aug 13, got to USPS on Aug 14. It is now Sep 01. The last tracking update I got was Aug 21 at which time it was apparently in the hands of RR Donnelley, a private shipping contractor for USPS. Today Parcelsapp.com estimates I will get it somewhere between Sep 07 and Sep 13.

I don't know whether to blame Schiit for choice of carrier, or USPS for choice of outsourcing partner, but I do know I'm getting "shit" service.

Last edited:

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, this! I've been saying for awhile with all the drooling over McIntosh looks, someone needs to stick a big VU meter on a Hypex/Purifi build and sell it. Good job, IOM!

Been enjoying my Hypex NC122MP build. I was lucky enough to get a brand new Hypex board off ebay in Dec (gray market - not intended for individual sale) and the case kit from Ghent, put it together myself and spent about $375 total. Been working flawlessly despite my lack of electrical skills. Plenty of clean, silent power for my needs (paired with two powered subs). I can turn volume to max and hear completely silent background with ear to the speaker. Sounds wonderful - like nothing.
Point being, even lower level Hypex like the NCxxxMP boards are amazing performers and are likely indistinguishable by most from their higher spec boards within their operating power parameters. But I get the appeal of the incredible specs of the Purifi.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I saw this youtuber. Is he right about the sound?

What he likes or you like for kind of sound is very subjective, I would not trust much on his reviews. Room and speakers also plays a big roll on the sound, bettter to have an amp that messure good than based on a utube review.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding shipping times, I ordered a Schiit Freya + that needs to come from Valencia, CA. I ordered it on July 13th,. Schiit warned that FedEx was experiencing delays and I general I prefer to used USPS because its brokerage fees are much less that FedEx', so I selected USPS.

Schiit was initially out-of-stock and finally got it built and ready for shipment on Aug 13, got to USPS on Aug 14. It is now Sep 01. The last tracking update I got was Aug 21 at which time it was apparently in the hands of RR Donnelley, a private shipping contractor for USPS. Today Parcelsapp.com estimates I will get it somewhere between Sep 07 and Sep 13.

I don't know whether to blame Schiit for choice of carrier, or USPS for choice of outsourcing partner, but I do know I'm getting "shit" service.

It is USPS. I have had several priority packages that should take less than two days take much longer (up to 1.5 weeks). An order from Montana to California that usually takes 2 days, took 8 days. USPS tracking shows the item received, then in transient for days and days, then it finally shows up at a nearby center. It is extremely frustrating, but the issue with with USPS, not the shipper.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Feanor

Forum Donor
It is USPS. I have had several priority packages that should take less than two days take much longer (up to 1.5 weeks). An order from Montana to California that usually takes 2 days, took 8 days. USPS tracking shows the item received, then in transient for days and days, then it finally shows up at a nearby center. It is extremely frustrating, but the issue with with USPS, not the shipper.
I emailed Schiit yesterday and they got back to me very promptly this AM. Basically they said the shipping times are very slow, especially for international orders. Canadian customers like me have waited up to 2 months so I guess I just have to suck it up.

Ordinarily I prefer to ship with USPS-Canada Post because Canada Post's brokerage fees are a small fraction of what FedEx or UPS charge. However Schiit suggests FedEx does ship faster. I have experience longish delays shipping from California before, though none so long as this. If I order anything from So-Cal again I will specify FedEx or UPS.

GordonParet

I emailed Schiit yesterday and they got back to me very promptly this AM. Basically they said the shipping times are very slow, especially for international orders. Canadian customers like me have waited up to 2 months so I guess I just have to suck it up.

Ordinarily I prefer to ship with USPS-Canada Post because Canada Post's brokerage fees are a small fraction of what FedEx or UPS charge. However Schiit suggests FedEx does ship faster. I have experience longish delays shipping from California before, though none so long as this. If I order anything from So-Cal again I will specify FedEx or UPS.

You can thank CBSA for the hold up. Once your order reaches Canada, it will sit in a bin for at least 2 weeks before CBSA will clear it through customs. Once cleared, they turn it over to Canada Post for delivery.

Feanor

Forum Donor
You can thank CBSA for the hold up. Once your order reaches Canada, it will sit in a bin for at least 2 weeks before CBSA will clear it through customs. Once cleared, they turn it over to Canada Post for delivery.
I have some doubt about that CBSA, (Canada Customs), is the current problem. Parcels to Canada from abroad usually come to Canada Post who will turn them over to CBSA who them hand them backs to Canada Post.

For sure, CBSA can, in my experience, often take a 2-4 days but rarely so long as two weeks.

In my case Canada Post has not acknowledge my parcel beyond the initial USPS receipt. Apparently it has entered Canada but that does not mean that it has been received by Canada Post. My guess is that it is moldering in an RR Donnelley warehouse somewhere waiting to be moved (by ox cart) to Canada Post's facility in Mississauga.

GordonParet

I have some doubt about that CBSA, (Canada Customs), is the current problem. Parcels to Canada from abroad usually come to Canada Post who will turn them over to CBSA who them hand them backs to Canada Post.

For sure, CBSA can, in my experience, often take a 2-4 days but rarely so long as two weeks.

In my case Canada Post has not acknowledge my parcel beyond the initial USPS receipt. Apparently it has entered Canada but that does not mean that it has been received by Canada Post. My guess is that it is moldering in an RR Donnelley warehouse somewhere waiting to be moved (by ox cart) to Canada Post's facility in Mississauga.
A recent order of mine sat with CBSA for 2 weeks. I put my tracking number in to Canada Post tracking. It stated that the parcel has been turned over to CBSA for review. They're using Covid as the reason for delay. Once it was turned over to Canada Post, the tracking information was never updated. Then suddenly, about a week later it arrived at my door. That was my experience. As usual YMMV.

Puska

What he likes or you like for kind of sound is very subjective, I would not trust much on his reviews. Room and speakers also plays a big roll on the sound, bettter to have an amp that messure good than based on a utube review.
Is it worth to replace rev C with rev D?

Archguy

IME, with US Customs in NY, it totally depends on what the item is. Many things are waved right through but if it's something that perplexes the agents in any way it can take weeks. Often with back-and-forth via email with supplier, carrier, and me. It's actually come in handy a few times that I'm a licensed architect so when they're complaining about materials such as MDF (yes it happens) I'm able to provide quick and thorough certification from my end. YMMV of course.

Archguy

Yes, this! I've been saying for awhile with all the drooling over McIntosh looks, someone needs to stick a big VU meter on a Hypex/Purifi build and sell it. Good job, IOM!

Right? After seeing a few amps with giant meters I once predicted that there would one day be an amp which is all meter.
Looks like that day has arrived. I kinda like it, though.

Puska

Is it worth upgrading imput board in nord nc500 from rev c to rev d?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it worth upgrading imput board in nord nc500 from rev c to rev d?
Both Nord and Apollon say the buffer with the larger opamps sound better, although I guess measurements will be very similar. So it's up to you to decide.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Off Topic…

Completely O.T.

When it comes to class D amplifiers, it would be interesting to include some common objects in the pictures for size/scale references...
These amps are small to an almost shocking degree… even 500 wpc amps are tiny

Carry on people. :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Off Topic…

Completely O.T.

When it comes to class D amplifiers, it would be interesting to include some common objects in the pictures for size/scale references...
These amps are small to an almost shocking degree… even 500 wpc amps are tiny

Carry on people. :)
Agreed. I always check for dimensions on their websites because they look huge in the pictures and tiny in real life. :)

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
McIntosh makes two class-D amps, the 4-channel MI254 and the 8-channel MI128. The former can be used for 2-channel audio and has those nice McIntosh power meters!

MI254-Front-Top.ashx

It can't be bridged, so using it for two channels means leaving two sitting idle. Interestingly, it uses NC500 modules, but McIntosh rates it at 250w/ch into 8 ohms and 300w/ch into 4 ohms, but with 2.5db headroom into 8 ohms and 3.5 ohms into 4 ohms. At $4,500 it isn't cheap, but it begs the question, why don't they make a two channel version for $3,000 or so. That would put them right at the same price as the NAD M22 and they would probably sell a lot of them. My guess is that it would significantly undercut sales of the MC312 with the same power that sells for $7,000 and is probably a much higher profit margin amp.

Feanor

Forum Donor
IME, with US Customs in NY, it totally depends on what the item is. Many things are waved right through but if it's something that perplexes the agents in any way it can take weeks. Often with back-and-forth via email with supplier, carrier, and me. It's actually come in handy a few times that I'm a licensed architect so when they're complaining about materials such as MDF (yes it happens) I'm able to provide quick and thorough certification from my end. YMMV of course.
Again in the Canadian instance, Canada Post may not bother to send a parcel thru Canada Customs or collect taxes, duties if any, or brokerage; this generally case for low-value items and for smaller parcels.
OTOH, FedEx, UPS and other commercial carriers ALWAYS collect taxes, duties, and brokerage. Brokerage is always much higher that Canada Post would have charged if, indeed, it charged any.

Top Bottom