• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What speaker brands would you consider better than Revel?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
14018252_800.jpg

The KH750 is great value, 10 inch, excellent build quality, DSP all for €1,000

steve59

Major Contributor
For ht revel is a pretty safe bet. for 2 channel I have found many brands including discontinued revels I would have before the current lineup.

witchdoctor

Floyd Tooles personal Revel HT (how wrong can it be?):

Attachments

• FT HT.png
    FT HT.png
    153.6 KB · Views: 272

witchdoctor

You'll notice Floyd does NOT use the Atmos speakers in the ceiling setup. He has an Auro 3D setup with the center height channel and M106 speakers doing FH and RH duties in his IMMERSIVE HT. Another thing to note is he uses 4 subwoofers in a Soundfield Managed Configuration

"The decision of whether to create a dedicated custom room or to adapt an existing room is a choice driven by one’s chosen lifestyle, family needs, available space and, of course, budget."

The budget and lifestyle issues are key when selecting what speakers other then Revel you choose, not just SQ.

Last edited:

witchdoctor

Floyd wall mounted those Revel towers upside down to free up space and keep the tweeter at ear level, 2 subs are inside those cabinets under the speakers. For those of you not using a center height channel yet I highly recommend it. There is a second center channel below the screen in that cabinet:
image_2020-12-13_121909.png

Last edited:

Sprint

Forum Donor
To answer the original question I find it hard pressed to find a better passive neutral speakers than Revel. Here is my two cents on other brands when I auditioned them earlier this yr. Most speakers I listened to were the top of their range and some at prices close to $85k.

Active:
Bang & Olufsen Beolab90: Lack of coherency between Tweeter and midrange. Too much Intermodulation.

Passive:
B&W: Tweeter emphasis. Not a neutral speaker.
Paradigm: Recessed upper midrange. Comes across as bony.
Sonus Faber: Better to look at, than use them to play music.
Wilson: Mid range is muddy. Brass instruments didn't sound natural. Gave me a headache.
KEF: Measures well, but typical co-axial speaker issue - 'lack of air' at higher frequencies.
Martin Logan: Too narrow a sweet spot. Integration with the woofer not coherent.
Focal: Doesnt measure well off-axis.
Magico: Extremely pricey for hardly an improvement in performance.

I am yet to audition Vivid Audio, but those cost 5x than the Revel range!

Fully agree and please add my vote to what you have mentioned on these speakers though I have not listed to Paradigm, Wilson. However there is one passive that I loved. XTZ Divine Series (Alpha and Divine). With Accuton drivers, they were excellent. I will also add Gradient 1.4 to the passive list. These 2 passives were my favourite though both do not have matching surrounds.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I completely agree. The W371A was just an example and arguably shows the worst price/performance ratio of any Genelec loudspeaker, thus far. But hey, didn't we just recently talk about Kii THREE's BXT module? o_O

The more realistic approach is to not go for bookshelf loudspeakers - or to add subwoofers like the Rythmik Audio FM8 as "speaker stands"; which is designed for LPF as high as 250(!) Hz. Additional subwoofers [the usual types, <120 Hz] could always be integrated for, let's say, a separate LFE channel.

Well more realistic but not as functional. To me the whole point of the W371A is to use the fancy opposing woofers individual DSP to clean up your room issues in the region between 20-500hz. Extension/SPL benefits are secondary to that main purpose. And for that purpose, no other subwoofer or bass module is going to offer the same level of capability.

But yes, you pay for it.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Obviously the bigger Genelecs, 8361, S360 or 1237
Or Neumann KH420
Focal actives are not recommended around here but I like their sound, the Trio 6 or Trio 11 will play plenty loud
Genelec s360 is superior to even the most expensive Revel loudspeaker. Revel makes really good passive loudspeakers, one of the best brands. But they dont have top-class quality regarding their crossover-components.
Problem for Revel is that a good active loudspeaker is usually better at a lower price. With a comparison Revel m105 ( a very good passive loudspeaker ) vs Genelec 8030C, the Genelec wins hands down - sound wise.
And you dont even have to buy an amplifier.

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
post,delete,post,delete,post,delete. If you like revel best then it is best. period, seriously who's reality do you want to live in? I prefer a different brand with my current line of components, but that shouldn't have ANY weight in what you like best.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
post,delete,post,delete,post,delete. If you like revel best then it is best. period, seriously who's reality do you want to live in? I prefer a different brand with my current line of components, but that shouldn't have ANY weight in what you like best.
Some people like to keep in touch with reality, though.

witchdoctor

Well more realistic but not as functional. To me the whole point of the W371A is to use the fancy opposing woofers individual DSP to clean up your room issues in the region between 20-500hz. Extension/SPL benefits are secondary to that main purpose. And for that purpose, no other subwoofer or bass module is going to offer the same level of capability.

But yes, you pay for it.
no other subwoofer or bass module is going to offer the same level of capability.

The Swarm Subwoofer System would be a good choice and the price is very reasonable, this might be a better value:

http://www.audiokinesis.com/the-swarm-subwoofer-system-1.html

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 99000
The KH750 is great value, 10 inch, excellent build quality, DSP all for €1,000

Looks like a little better value than the Genelec equivalent, though still not great compared to what you can get from Rythmik at $1,000.

Something unique that you get with the Genelec subs that I appreciate is the spiral port design. It's likely a big reason why they can squeeze so much performance out of a tiny woofer and box with so little power.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

???

Not sure I understand the first part.

Did you delete a bunch of posts?

Sprint

Forum Donor
Looks like a little better value than the Genelec equivalent, though still not great compared to what you can get from Rythmik at $1,000.

Something unique that you get with the Genelec subs that I appreciate is the spiral port design. It's likely a big reason why they can squeeze so much performance out of a tiny woofer and box with so little power.
Leaving the price aside, will a Genelec 10" subwoofer due to its ported design perform better than a 10" Neumann sub or 10" Rhythmik sub? As you know I am contemplating between a Genelec Vs non Genelec subwoofer to manage bass for my Genelec actives.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Leaving the price aside, will a Genelec 10" subwoofer due to its ported design perform better than a 10" Neumann sub or 10" Rhythmik sub? As you know I am contemplating between a Genelec Vs non Genelec subwoofer to manage bass for my Genelec actives.
Yes, the point of a correctly implemented ported system is greatly improved distorsion at and above the port tuning frequency due to much reduced excursion. Even for Rythmik, though it's less certain, because I doubt the servo mechanism can overcome the limitations of a sealed design.

Top Bottom