• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

will.b

Forum Donor
Been really enjoying these speakers, but there's one slight issue I've been noticing with imaging in my room - the "sweet" spot in which centered tracks appear to be dead center only works when I'm sitting exactly dead center. Now I understand that not all vocals or dialogue is panned to dead center in a mix, but I've noticed it consistently across a large variety of tracks and movies/tv shows. If I shift about a foot one way or the other, the closer speaker as a source of sound becomes pretty apparent. So If I'm sharing the couch with someone, and I sit on the left side of the couch, centered vocals/TV dialogue seems about a foot left of center etc. If I sit alllll the way on the left edge of the couch, the left speaker clearly overpowers the right one. With the Elac 6.2's (exact same room, exact same speaker position, same amp etc.) my entire couch was fair game for getting a nice locked in center image. Could the new waveguide be causing more directionality? Anyone else find these a little more sensitive in this regard? I know earlier in this thread someone experimented with removing the tweeter grill - I may try this and see if it has any noticeable effect. My 6.2's had the tweeter grills removed.

I think I had a similar experience when I first set these up on each side of my tv.
Since then I have increased the width between the speakers. They now have a 7 foot separation between each nearside edge with no toe-in.
This has enhanced the effect of a "phantom" centre speaker and stereo effects.
Listening from any location on my sofa, which is a minimum of 7 foot away, now has a consistent audio experience for me.

cyruz

Guys I have a question. How would you compare the DBR-62 + class D amp with an active monitor like Adam T5V or JBL 305P? I have listened to both the monitors and I definitely like the sound of the T5V, but I didn't have the chance to try the Elac...

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Guys I have a question. How would you compare the DBR-62 + class D amp with an active monitor like Adam T5V or JBL 305P? I have listened to both the monitors and I definitely like the sound of the T5V, but I didn't have the chance to try the Elac...

I have the 305P and the Elac. The Elac are in the living room where I listen to music and the JBL in the home lab for YouTube. Not the same league at all for my personal taste.

cyruz

I have the 305P and the Elac. The Elac are in the living room where I listen to music and the JBL in the home lab for YouTube. Not the same league at all for my personal taste.

Thanks for the feedback. Amir reviews gave me the technical insights, can I ask your subjective opinion regarding the 60-200 hz region? Did you try them in the same room/position?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Vyacheslav

Sorry, I will repeat my question. 55 pages of discussion about the sound of the DBR-62. It never occurred to anyone to take a screwdriver, unscrew the screws and see what's inside the DBR-62? If the factory allows for defects in appearance: A packing bag glued to the Elac sign on the front panel, a sloppy installed twitter grille and an inaccurately glued vinyl film imitating the structure of a tree. What's inside, then? The circular discussion boils down to the position of the bobble head Chinese figurine - Let's talk about the sound of acoustics! In large cities of Russia, for most people, the cost of the DBR-62 is equal to the wages for a month of work. Of this money, 20% is spent per month on electricity, water and house maintenance, 10% on public transport and 40% on food. Therefore, people will not buy products with signs of sloppy assembly. Maybe I was looking badly, but I did not come across information about the poor build of the B&W 606 S2, Dali Oberon 3, Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 and Fyne Audio F301.

Willem

Major Contributor
I recently bought the Elac for my son and the Wharfedale Diamond 220 for our garden room. The Elac was four times more expensive and although esthetically more pleasing fit and finish of the quite garish looking Diamond 220s was better. The Diamonds sound very good for the price but the Elacs sound a lot better.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Sorry, I will repeat my question. 55 pages of discussion about the sound of the DBR-62. It never occurred to anyone to take a screwdriver, unscrew the screws and see what's inside the DBR-62?

Thank you for your positive comments.

I've opened the JBL 305P Mk2 and wrote something because it was a kind of suprise.

I've also opened the Elac, but guess what ? It's a box with a filter and 2 speakers, nothing special in term of technology.

Anyway, do you need pictures from the inside?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Been really enjoying these speakers, but there's one slight issue I've been noticing with imaging in my room - the "sweet" spot in which centered tracks appear to be dead center only works when I'm sitting exactly dead center. Now I understand that not all vocals or dialogue is panned to dead center in a mix, but I've noticed it consistently across a large variety of tracks and movies/tv shows. If I shift about a foot one way or the other, the closer speaker as a source of sound becomes pretty apparent. So If I'm sharing the couch with someone, and I sit on the left side of the couch, centered vocals/TV dialogue seems about a foot left of center etc. If I sit alllll the way on the left edge of the couch, the left speaker clearly overpowers the right one. With the Elac 6.2's (exact same room, exact same speaker position, same amp etc.) my entire couch was fair game for getting a nice locked in center image. Could the new waveguide be causing more directionality? Anyone else find these a little more sensitive in this regard? I know earlier in this thread someone experimented with removing the tweeter grill - I may try this and see if it has any noticeable effect. My 6.2's had the tweeter grills removed.

Perhaps I've just yet to hear the right speaker, but I've never heard a speaker that can maintain a solid center image with me sitting all the way to the left of the couch. IME, the only way to fix this is by using a dedicated center channel.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
You can use aggressive toe-in and take advantage of the time-intensity trading effect to widen the sweet spot.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
The ELAC DBR-62 sound a lot better than the JBL 305p mk2. @renaudrenaud , @VintageFlanker and I heard both pairs in the same room and I think we all agreed.

Better FR, lower distortion. Prettier.
And also, I am able to listen very loud and the Elac sounds really really loud.

The only time the JBL where listenable, it was when @daftcombo came with his box containing the corrections to the JBL. It was not so bad.

Anyway, there are not in the same range of money. I consider the JBL like a super computer kit. And for nearfield, I consider the Focal Alpha 50 are better.

weasels

Sorry, I will repeat my question. 55 pages of discussion about the sound of the DBR-62. It never occurred to anyone to take a screwdriver, unscrew the screws and see what's inside the DBR-62? If the factory allows for defects in appearance: A packing bag glued to the Elac sign on the front panel, a sloppy installed twitter grille and an inaccurately glued vinyl film imitating the structure of a tree. What's inside, then? The circular discussion boils down to the position of the bobble head Chinese figurine - Let's talk about the sound of acoustics! In large cities of Russia, for most people, the cost of the DBR-62 is equal to the wages for a month of work. Of this money, 20% is spent per month on electricity, water and house maintenance, 10% on public transport and 40% on food. Therefore, people will not buy products with signs of sloppy assembly. Maybe I was looking badly, but I did not come across information about the poor build of the B&W 606 S2, Dali Oberon 3, Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 and Fyne Audio F301.

Sorry, I'm not about to disassemble my main listening speakers.

Aside from a noticeable line in the vinyl wrap (on the bottom of the speaker) I have had no issues with build quality. Given that the ELACs sound better than the B&Ws and Wharfedales (though the Wharfedales are close if bass light) I can't give credence to or refute any issues you may have read about online.

Top Bottom