• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What kind of stylus is this?

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
Maybe 100 hours on this cartridge, brushed dry before photographing in sunlight. How can I identify the type of stylus on it?

I know what it was advertised as having but I am hoping for third party verification.
IMG_4069.jpeg
IMG_4068.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
Images courtesy of this clip-on microscope. Such magnification, it's nearly impossible to get in frame and in focus, but worth the effort for the low price.

OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I'm just going by this diagram. What I see is an elliptical, possibly nude shank but this is my first time trying to ID a stylus.
at-vm95-styli.jpg

OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
They confirmed it but it just doesn’t look like it to me only based on this square nude shank. Again, I’m no expert.
1705076337658.jpeg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
As long as it is still attached and isn’t completely covered in cat fur I wouldn’t worry about it,
Keith

narud

They confirmed it but it just doesn’t look like it to me only based on this square nude shank. Again, I’m no expert.
View attachment 341437
all bets are off with aftermarket stuff. theres the nagaoka and namiki made shibatas that show up on production carts, but i dont think anyone knows who makes the bonded shibata and hyperellipticals that are on the lpgear,tonar and and turntableneedles aftermarket styli.

DSJR

Major Contributor
The Shibatas I've seen used to look amazing, with well polished and formed facets. That one looks to me more like an ML or HE type, but not much to go on. I'm sure it sounds as good as that T4P mount will allow, so maybe not to worry about it...

JP

Major Contributor
Top Bottom