• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me decide: external phono stage or stylus?

levimax

Major Contributor
As much as I'd love to get a test record, I haven't found a way to get one for less than $200 shipped...so while I've wanted to participate in this project, there is a serious bottleneck.
There are STR 100 records on ebay for $65.... price was under $20, glad I bought some. The script is great and gives you perspective as to what works and matters and what doesn't. Hopefully you can figure out something on the record.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
There are STR 100 records on ebay for $65.... price was under $20, glad I bought some. The script is great and gives you perspective as to what works and matters and what doesn't. Hopefully you can figure out something on the record.

Doesn't the STR 100 have a flaw in its response?

levimax

Major Contributor
Doesn't the STR 100 have a flaw in its response?
If you read through the script thread all test records have flaws unfortunately. The STR-100 FR flaws appear to be "consistent" and the script has an allowance for that as it is one of the most widely available test records. The script is not going to be 100% perfectly accurate but it is as good as anything for TT's and certainly accurate for evaluating changes and adjustment you make. I believe the biggest flaw with the STR-100 is that it does not work well for reliable crosstalk measurements.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
If you read through the script thread all test records have flaws unfortunately. The STR-100 FR flaws appear to be "consistent" and the script has an allowance for that as it is one of the most widely available test records. The script is not going to be 100% perfectly accurate but it is as good as anything for TT's and certainly accurate for evaluating changes and adjustment you make. I believe the biggest flaw with the STR-100 is that it does not work well for reliable crosstalk measurements.

I may have found a source for new CA-TRS-1007's. If it pans out, I will share the source. If I am going down this rabbit hole, I would like to at least start with something new with least issues.

Top Bottom