• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

• Total voters

DeepFried

Interesting to see how many Linux users there are here. I have been a hobbyist user since '94. I have to admit to finding the complexity of the Linux audio tools quite a challenge. I was toying with the idea of trying to generate a real time view of all of the pulseaudio config to try to help me to understand what is happening when things go wrong. I still haven't quite worked out how to feed my microphone through pulseeffects on the way to my video conference software. That said pulseeffects has been wonderful in general for tweaking my speakers. Cheers, John

yeah its a bit of a nightmare. Most swear by pipewire these days but never used it myself, currently using an ALSA/Pulse/Jack realtime stack with jack mixer and Carla with LSP plugins. The LSP plugins are fantastic so thoroughly recommend them, Jack is also pretty great compared to just pluse audio, though not everything will output to it, hence why I still have pulse in the stack to pass through general system audio.

Here is a shot of my patch bay, really easy to route audio in jack, just draw a line between the devices:

LR0roS4.png

So i've setup some zita alsa to jack bridges for passing input from extra hardware into Jack (second PC via Toslink, and a USB mic), i'm then passing everything through the mixer to give me volume control on the different sources, then outputting through my LSP PEQ profiles to system audio. Works surprisingly well, though it took a lot of tinkering to setup.

eriksson

Forum Donor
Linux since 2000. About a year ago I was bored and decided to check out the Manjaro distro. Still using it and love it. My linux skills are dropping fast since it doesn't need any tinkering.

I am looking for a new phone with Chinese Operating system. It's only fair aftar sharing my pics, phone calls, SMS and location with Google and the NSA for all these years the "other side" learns something about me.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought a Mele Quieter 2 to use as my new silent home theater/music server. It came preloaded with Windows 11, and it has a couple of bugs that I find unacceptable. They are, to wit, a pop up for Windows Teams and a pop up for the Microsoft News app. No matter what I try, I can't get Windows to shop flashing these two pop ups when I move my cursor. It happens randomly but continually, and then I have to stop what I'm doing and clear them off the screen.

I've tried a couple of remedies offered by the internet jockies, and their fixes don't work at all (surprise!). So for right now until and unless Microsoft fixes this, I will continue to get blitzed with messages regarding all the wonderful things I can do with Teams as well as the weather and current events courtesy of Microsoft News.

Why can't these guys just give us a clean operating system? Bad enough they make us have a Microsoft account just to get up and running (which they then use to monetize our personal data). But they have to add insult to injury by spamming us with their non removable apps which some of us have no use for.

As of now I'm looking into switching to a Mac Mini M1. Sick of this shite.

Last edited:

hege

Forum Donor
I don't think so given the type of user this website attracts. Unlikely as in representing universal OS use? Surely. Unlikely as in representing audiophile-science-minded dorks? Most certainly not. :)

This poll doesn't represent anything, even less anything about "Desktop usage", you can already see that by Android results etc. As it's a multi-choice poll, you can bet many ticked Linux because it's cool and they have it on their router or streamer.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This poll doesn't represent anything, even less anything about "Desktop usage", you can already see that by Android results etc. As it's a multi-choice poll, you can bet many ticked Linux because it's cool and they have it on their router or streamer.
Just using various audio and other forums my general impression has been around 20% of people who are into techy stuff (and certainly at least some audiophiles are also tech-literate) use linux at least some. And no I am not referring to someone who checked it to be cool. This goes back years before Android was a thing. You'd find about 10 times the linux users you find in the general public.

hege

Forum Donor
Just using various audio and other forums my general impression has been around 20% of people who are into techy stuff (and certainly at least some audiophiles are also tech-literate) use linux at least some. And no I am not referring to someone who checked it to be cool. This goes back years before Android was a thing. You'd find about 10 times the linux users you find in the general public.

Sure, I've used Linux since 93 or so for routers and other tinkering, but practically never as a desktop, it's horrible. Tech-savvy people should figure out how to configure Windows instead of complaining some silly stuff like "I can't disable automatic updates", "it's spying me" for which you can find hundred guides with a simple search.

And as such I did not choose Linux on this poll, only Windows.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Win98se -> WinXP -> Win7 --> Win10 --> Win11
XP and forward all 64 bits, didn't like Vista or 8

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, I've used Linux since 93 or so for routers and other tinkering, but practically never as a desktop, it's horrible. Tech-savvy people should figure out how to configure Windows instead of complaining some silly stuff like "I can't disable automatic updates", "it's spying me" for which you can find hundred guides with a simple search.

And as such I did not choose Linux on this poll, only Windows.
Well you haven't used any good linux versions recently then. No one who has would call it horrible for the desktop. The only reason I don't use it exclusively is the problems with audio recording interfaces and some peripheral gear due to some companies not allowing Linux OS to access their equipment. One of the chief complaints in my mind being Canon. Even then you can work around it almost always. Still I find having either a Mac or Windows laptop for those sticky situations just easier and quicker for such solutions.

hege

Forum Donor
Well you haven't used any good linux versions recently then. No one who has would call it horrible for the desktop.

I can call it horrible, since it's as common for someone to call Windows horrible. :)

The problem with "Linux" is just that, "Linux versions". There's too many of them, with too many window managers to choose from and stuff. Ubuntu keeps changing things every release etc. Atleast Windows has been somewhat consistent over the years, there's only one "Windows". Given that over the years I've perfected my clean setup, and that most audio stuff simply works better there, including HTPC/madVR/etc usage, occasional gaming with Steam/Epic/whatever - there's no need to go through the rabbit hole of trying to come up with a nice Linux config. Anything I might need on the desktop in the future is pretty much guaranteed to be available on Windows..

But yes, I could probably live with Linux desktop if forced.

Bamyasi

There is no "Linux versions", there is only one version. Rest are distributions which are all the same, just different package managers. Looks are non-essential, you get used to a new one in maybe two days and then stop noticing. Ubuntu is actually criticized for not changing anything for real in ages, unlike more fancy/recent distributions. I find it reassuring instead but maybe it's just my old age.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I use windows 10 on main computer, work computer and media computer (the one in my hifi rack), i use Ubuntu (Linux) on some older laptops, mainly to play with and do stuff you can't do with windows, my NAS runs on the native OS of Qnap. My phone runs on iOS, but i mainly use it for phone duties and messaging with different apps, not as computer. I'm a system engineer from profession so i know Windows inside out. I know MacOS also very well (i did mac support for years in different companies) but i don't like to work with mac on computers, only for phones it's good i think.

Before my move of about 20 months ago, i also had an own network (that i should reinstall) with a dmz with OpenBSD computer between my internet and my home network, but like said, i did not reinstall it yet in my new house (and the computer running it died), now it's a bit a fast set down network running from the router of my ISP (that i can manage partly), also because the router had before is too old and not secure anymore and the ones i have now on loan are only slightly better and worse than the ISP router. Also due to covid and change of job, i did not get there yet to get new stuff and reinstall that network.

alekksander

There is no "Linux versions", there is only one version. Rest are distributions which are all the same, just different package managers. Looks are non-essential, you get used to a new one in maybe two days and then stop noticing. Ubuntu is actually criticized for not changing anything for real in ages, unlike more fancy/recent distributions. I find it reassuring instead but maybe it's just my old age.
if by linux You mean kernel, then yes, there are versions. if distriburions like most people wrongly assume – obviously a variety available here.
Those of you on linux what music players are you using for bit-perfect audio? I'm having real trouble finding something to replace Foobar or Musicbee.
i use strawberry and ncmpcpp. nothing on linux comes close to foobar on windows. probably it's the only downside at this time, but it's easier to have bitperfect here comparing to windows (legend says it's even available with pulseaudio – which personally i consider to be cancer in linux audio). for dsp there is always jack and carla.

F

freemansteve

nothing on linux comes close to foobar on windows. probably it's the only downside at this time, but it's easier to have bitperfect here comparing to windows (legend says it's even available with pulseaudio – which personally i consider to be cancer in linux audio). for dsp there is always jack and carla.

Is FB2K different, or lacking in any way on Linux compared with the Windows version? I've not tried it on my Linux kit yet...

Bamyasi

if by linux You mean kernel, then yes, there are versions. if distriburions like most people wrongly assume – obviously a variety available here.
All operating system tools, utilities and programs are exactly the same on all Linux distribution, that's what I mean. You do not need to learn how to use completely new set of system tools when switching from one distribution to another (unlike, e.g., if switching from Linux to BSD). So those talking about Linux "fragmentation" either do not know what they are talking about or intentionally spreading FUD.

Look and feel may vary, obviously, but it is all the same system underneath.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All operating system tools, utilities and programs are exactly the same on all Linux distribution ... Look and feel may vary, obviously, but it is all the same system underneath.
Not exactly. Depending upon one's distro, you could have different utilities 'under the hood'. For instance, different package management, bootloaders, even file systems. Generally, once one becomes familiar with a particular distro, it' probably makes it easier to stay with it long-term, because of the sort of familiarity one gains.

Bamyasi

Not exactly. Depending upon one's distro, you could have different utilities 'under the hood'. For instance, different package management, bootloaders, even file systems. Generally, once one becomes familiar with a particular distro, it' probably makes it easier to stay with it long-term, because of the sort of familiarity one gains.
I have mentioned different package managers in my original post already, so you are right, however this is the only difference. But it's not like there are tons of different package managers in Linux, there are basically just two: deb and rpm. All recent attempts to replace them with something more "fashionable" failed, so do not even start talking about snap, flatpak, etc.

Filesystems are part of the Linux kernel, which is same across all distributions, so same filesystems are available on all distros. They may select to use different ones as defaults for their system partitions during installation but that's just an installer choice, user configurable.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

i use strawberry and ncmpcpp. nothing on linux comes close to foobar on windows. probably it's the only downside at this time, but it's easier to have bitperfect here comparing to windows (legend says it's even available with pulseaudio – which personally i consider to be cancer in linux audio). for dsp there is always jack and carla.until
This shouldn't be a Linux discussion, but it is very important to point out that the *power* of Linux lies in the options it offers. You can choose to call them "versions", it is really not important. BUT - there is only *ONE* Linux kernel, controlled via LKML, in which Linus T, the original "inventor", still carries major weight. The different distributions simply pick some kernel version, depending on their own goals. On top of the kernel, you have a ton of different things you can use to target... whatever you want... a very pretty but demanding GUI... or lightweight to support old computers. You can pick whatever you like, and then stick with it. It certainly makes little sense to keep switching user interfaces. But inside, stuff is pretty much the same if you use the CLI.

Because of work, I am used to work with different version of Linux via the CLI, be it Ubuntu Server edition or RedHat Enterprise (one is free, the other offers paid support) or others. Doesn't really matter - the overall stuff is similar with a few annoying differences for the packages that run on top of the kernel. For myself, the only desktop edition I use these days is Ubuntu 20.04. I'll go for 22.04 in 6 months or so. I find Ubuntu a very good balance, but that's just personal preference. My 80 year old mom's laptop is Ubuntu, it allows me to set it up in a way she can't screw up stuff and is pretty safe. I am typing this on my personal Ubuntu laptop, which has a touchscreen and hence is also a very good user interface to my music system.

I also use VMware Workstation and VMware Player to create very portable environments for my music server and some other functions. That gives me complete flexibility to spin it up wherever, whenever.

Professionally, I am anchored in the Windows camp, the corporate standard. It is pretty much inevitable if you work in high tech and go deeper into it.

Top Bottom