• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

• Total voters

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mansr

Major Contributor
Cue argument about the definition of real-time, and RTOS. Does it have to be hard real-time, or does soft real-time count?
In my opinion, those terms are flawed. An OS can't be a little bit real-time any more than a woman can be a little bit pregnant. If there isn't a provable upper bound for latency, it's not a real-time system.

dc655321

Major Contributor
In my opinion, those terms are flawed. An OS can't be a little bit real-time any more than a woman can be a little bit pregnant. If there isn't a provable upper bound for latency, it's not a real-time system.

Amen.
Had the same argument with a colleague recently who wants Busybox crippled linuxRT systems everywhere. In a system with zero hard RT requirements... :rolleyes:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently acquired a PC to run as pfSense router (pfSense runs on FreeBSD)...

IMG_20220426_212629 (Small).jpg

It's the Celeron N5105 version of this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...store_pc_home.singleImageText_2002084893526.0

I bought the barebones and added 8GB of Crucial RAM and 250GB Kioxia NVMe drive purchased locally.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a copy of the 3rd edition of 'Structured Computer Organization' in a box somewhere in the garage. I'm pretty sure it's the right way up :)

1651007357958.png

I don't remember having any CISC vs RISC arguments with anyone recently, but I have the 30 year old textbook if it does crop up again.

KSTR

Major Contributor
He's German, apparently. They write the title on the spine bottom to top. This is obviously wrong.
That's because German left-side brain is heavier, tilting the head. :) Same for other europeans (France, Italy).
The actual reason is ergonomics.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a NUC10i7 and it would have difficulties playing H.265 content w/o the 'tears'... until I replaced the 16GB-RAM with 32GB DDR4-3200 equivalents.
A soldered-down 10th generation Intel® Core™ i7-10710U six-core processor with a maximum 25 W TDP, 1.1 GHz base, 4.7 GHz Turbo, [6 cores] 12 threads
Intel® UHD Graphics "620 GPU"
Operating at 300 MHz with a burst frequency of 1.15 GHz.
The GPU has 24 [maybe only 18???] Execution Units (EU) and can support up to three 4K displays; one through the HDMI port and two through the Thunderbolt 3 connector.

The TPD and RAM are shared between the CPU and GPU.
I can't imagine a Celeron pulling it off...

KSTR

Major Contributor
@mansr, Books arranged vertically in shelves are sorted alphabetically left to right and that is also the direction we skim through in search of a title/author.

We pull out a book from a shelf with our left hand and place it into the palm of the right hand in order to open it.

I feel these two things more or less automatically leads to tilting the head to the left side but of course this might well be acquired taste, mostly.

Further, when you want to double-check the spine lettering while pulling the book out, you simply rotate the book 90 degree clockwise. Counter-clockwise would be quite awkward.

OTOH, top-to-bottom lettering is better when not using shelves, building up stacks of books or more importantly, magazines. Then, with front page up, spine lettering is directly readable.

There actually was an ISO standard (which calls for top-to-bottom) but it was not accepted much in continental Europe.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Windows 10. It works, stable, doesn't get in the way as long as I have things turned off. I'm sure I take for granted how much uptime I get with my computers and how generally hassle free they are.

Wouldn't mind linux but nothing I use works in it. My DAWs work in linux but they are kind of restricted, no access to low latency drivers in linux, they can only use ASIO. Tried wineasio but yeah that doesn't really work.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What now? Do you read books starting from the back?
Depends on the country-of-origin of the book.
Like Brits driving on the wrong side of the car...;)
202204_FlipBook.jpg

This flipbook on the other hand (@02:40 marker) most definitely seems to defy the convention you speak of, in a different manner.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Linux is a real-time OS. Even Windows has a real-time Kernel. What is your argument?

My argument was that people pick an OS like a religion, and like to fight to the death that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
So your post argues the point just fine without any extra input from me… to the point of believing that the OS is something that it is not.

2) I thought that the main realtime thing with window is the appearance of a blue screen.

Most processes and users do not need a real-time OS... but some do.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Linux can be an RTOS…

Nowadays, the guarantee for ”upper bound latency” is a fine-balance between HW and SW. Eg, the same OS can be hard-real-time on a single-core processor, and then everything falls apart on multiple cores. Due to the complexity of inter-[processor]-process communications and the associated schedulers… And then one can start playing with task/process ”affinities” and abandon the “SMP” (symmetric multiprocessing) scheme, and things get better… Until they fall apart again, in many interesting places… :)

And “soft RT” OS’es are fine for numerous control solutions, even in “critical” applications… Meaning, where the needed timeliness is guaranteed/provided “statistically most of the time”, and the infrequent outliers are handled by watchdogs and recovery algorithms…

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My argument was that people pick an OS like a religion, and like to fight to the death that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
So your post argues the point just fine without any extra input from me… to the point of believing that the OS is something that it is not.
Ok.

Most processes and users do not need a real-time OS... but some do.
Ok.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a NUC10i7 and it would have difficulties playing H.265 content w/o the 'tears'... until I replaced the 16GB-RAM with 32GB DDR4-3200 equivalents.

I can't imagine a Celeron pulling it off...

Setting aside the fact that the box I purchased is destined for router/firewall duties and will not have a screen plugged into it...

Generally speaking, changing the RAM in your NUC should have no impact on the native H.265 decoding capabilities of the integrated GPU within the CPU within your NUC.

Also, the N5105 CPU in my router has an 11th gen Intel GPU which is 1 generation newer than the one in your i7 and should be more than up to task of decoding a bit of H.265 video (as should the dedicated hardware in your i7)...

"Another improved hardware piece is the integrated video de- and encoder that was improved significantly according to Intel. They did not specify any more details, but the previous generation was able to decode VP9 and H.265/HEVC in Main10 profile with 10 bit color depth using the dedicated hardware."

threni

Major Contributor
Trying to hold an adult conversation, is more like arguing religion.

We used to have 1 sys-admin, and machines never went down.
Now we have 4 SAs, and patch computers every 3 months.

What makes it so stupid, is that we got rid of VMS to save money.
VMS - to answer your earlier question - is more secure than Linux. Didn't Kevin Mitnick say it was the one system he never managed to hack? "The only way I'm getting on a VMS box is if someone gives me the password". But people are getting rid of VMS because it's hard to find the skills; it's expensive to run (hardware and licenses are rare, and expensive) and the world has just moved on; people want mobile, web, apps, cloud, integration with modern hardware/software, access to cheaper developers/admins etc etc etc. Its days are numbered. Linux is just everywhere now - all the worlds super-computers; most of the smartphones etc. Can't be long before Microsoft stops providing Linux via WSL and instead flips it and runs Windows in a Linux vm. It's funny, because NT era Windows practically IS VMS - the same guy (Dave Cutler) designed both, which is why the architecture is so similar. I'm not aware of any Windows boxes having uptimes of more than a few weeks though. It's amusing watching Chess streamers, for instance, say "I've just updated and rebooted my windows laptop so let's hope it doesn't reboot during the tournament".

Last edited:
Top Bottom