• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Saidera

ZX110 from Sony with EQ for portability and ATH-M30x for all audio editing.

tonyo123

In order of preference:

1. Philips Fidelio X2/27
2. AKG K371
3. Etymotic Research ER4XR
4. Etymotic HF5
5. 1More Triple Driver
6. Stax SR-84 Pro
7. Grado SR-80

Last edited:

phrwn

In order of preference:

1. Philips Fidelio X2/27
2. AKG K371
3. Etymotic Research ER4XR
4. Etymotic HF5
5. 1More Triple Driver
6. Stax SR-84 Pro
7. Grado SR-80
The K371's are that good are they? I keep thinking about it...

aandres_gm

I sold the Grado SR60e and ordered the Ananda and Sundara (to compare) at the Hifiman Store. The Grado, as interesting as they were, had a lot of faults. The AD900 are still keeping me company, though!

tonyo123

The K371's are that good are they? I keep thinking about it...
I rated them #2 due to use (with a closed back they don't disturb my wife while in bed) and because they are really a reference Harman curve headphone, Very neutral sound. Great buy. Same with the Etys, which, I use also during exercising. All of my headphones are now Harman Curve equalized via Peace Interface to Equalizer APO (PC) or to Wavelet (Android). The Fidelios are a very dynamic solid bass phone with wide soundstage due to its open back. They are probably the most enjoyable to listen to, but, are more for dedicated listening.

lerthedc

Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed RT (daily driver)
Audioquest Nighthawk
Nuforce x Massdrop EDC3 in-ear
Noble Audio 4C (customs)

Hemi

Drop + MrSpeakers Ether CX
Hifiman Arya
Meze 99 Noir
Stax SR-L700MK2

Meller

Plantronix PLT_BackBeat Fit 2100,
Plantronix PLT_BackBeat Fit,
AfterShokz Aeropex,
Sennheiser HD380 Pro,
Hifiman HE-400S
Sennheiser PXC550,
Sennheiser HD650,
Sennheiser HD800S.

Schiit Jotunheim.

Looking forward to a better Headphone and Amp..

Blank Verse

A little update to my lineup:

Sennheiser HD520
Sennheiser HD520 II
Sennheiser HD530
Sennheiser HD540 Reference II
Sennheiser HD580

AKG K240M

Sony MDR-7506

The best of the lot is without a doubt the HD540 Reference II, but all the Sennies I have, which are all from around the same era, are excellent cans.

AXR

stellia 2.jpg

Attachments

• Stellia1.jpg
    Stellia1.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 79

norcalscott

Forum Donor
The Fidelios are a very dynamic solid bass phone with wide soundstage due to its open back. They are probably the most enjoyable to listen to, but, are more for dedicated listening.

I love my Fidelio X2s and feel the same as you that they are best for dedicated listening when I am by myself since they leak pretty badly. I recently picked up a pair of leather Dekoni pads for them on Drop and it improved the sound in some not so subtle ways, and are also more comfortable and less itchy than the stock pads. Looks great too :)
20210610_121919.jpg

RHO

Major Contributor
Audio-Technica R70x. My favorite so far. I like it more than some $1000 headphones.
How's the comfort? The cups only swivel in one direction if I'm right. No issues with a good seal?
How would you describe the bass? Comparable to the HD6XX/650?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How's the comfort? The cups only swivel in one direction if I'm right. No issues with a good seal?
I find them to be in that "not quite fully over ear but not on ear either" territory. I don't find them uncomfortable but a few mm more internal pad diameter would have been good

Dealux

I think it has a bit more sub bass extension but the bass is flatter overall. The interesting feature is that the bass has actual tactility (i.e. you can feel it in your eardrums) compared to other open backs and similar definition to the HD800. So yeah, I get a good seal with it but the fit is kinda weird. The pad size borders on being on ear but the headband system they got is way more comfortable than the HD600 and HD800 (which hurt my head) to me.

They image better than the HD600 but have a somewhat uneven response between 4-8K which is why some people prefer the HD600. However, in my opinion the treble clarity and refinement above 8K is the reason why the imaging is quite good. It's just that the overall tuning leans on the warm side so the treble isn't quite forward enough for my taste.

RHO

Major Contributor
I have a small head, so I need a bit of clamping. With a bit of tweaking/bending of the headband that could be adjusted, maybe?

Sound seems like something I could really enjoy.

Dealux

I have a small head, so I need a bit of clamping. With a bit of tweaking/bending of the headband that could be adjusted, maybe?

Sound seems like something I could really enjoy.
Oh, I think they have plenty of clamp. My fairly average head is slightly bothered by the clamping force.

It's honestly really good. To me they aren't far from a high end headphone in terms of detail and they sound more precise (timbre wise) than an HD800. They have most of the detail that you would want in a headphone but the overall sound quality has this kind of uncanny quality to it because they're so close to an ideal neutral target but the slight deviations make it a bit odd. It's like they almost designed the perfect dynamic headphone but it is a bit grainy and lacks a bit of clarity compared to some other higher end headphones but I like it because it doesn't need EQ in my opinion.

Reactions: RHO

RHO

Major Contributor
It's definitely staying on my wanted list then.:)

Top Bottom