• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

RHO

Major Contributor
Try Amirs EQ, totally transforms them.

I have recently added Samsung Galaxy Buds+ to my collection as a practical alternative on the go. They work nicely, but despite generally good FR seem to lack "resolution".
For the 50€ I paid new they are fine, good even considering their other advantages (and main selling points, honestly), but don't replace any half decent wired headphones.
I have an EQ profile for the Superlux. But I tend not to use EQ lately. Makes all headphones sound too similar. It's a bit boring. I like the differences between headphones. Especially those that sound good without EQ.

3125b

Major Contributor
Oh I agree, I use most of my headphone without any or only with the basic bass and treble controls of my RME, but the 668B is the one headphone I won't use without parametric EQ. It has potential, but the standard FR is just ... very suboptimal.

Sharur

Etymotic ER4XR and Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ω.

ER4XR sound a bit too dark after listening to the DT880s for three months. The DT880 can undoubtedly sound bright at times, but I do not see this as a fault of the headphone.

nodemms

Current own:
Wired headphones:
Sennheiser HD6XX
Those mids ... sooooo good! Overall a very pleasing headphone for long listening sessions.
Sennheiser HD477 These are really old. They sound really warm and a bit muddy.
AKG K371 Surprisingly good for the money. Just as good as the HD6XX but in a different way (more bass and brighter, less silky smooth)
Beyerdynamic DT770pro 250Ohm with Dekoni Jerzee pads Less bright and more comfortable than with the stock pads, but the mids are lacking. Just too much of a V-shaped sound signature. Voices are too recessed. Bass is a bit too boomy.
Superlux HD668B (velour pads) Bright! But overall not too bad. For the money they are worth it. They give a flimsy impression but mine last for more than 8 years already.

Bluetooth:
Sony MDR-ZX770BT
Mediocre NC, mediocre sound, good comfort, reliable BT connection
OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2 (IEM) Bright! Ouch!

IEM:
Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk
Amazing sound quality. Very good fit for my ears. Love them!
Tin Hifi T2plus Not bad for the price. Comfort is not good for me. They just don't agree with the shape of my ears.

On their way to my house:
Wired headphones:
Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT
I just wanted a really good planar. I just wanted a really good closed back headphone. I just wanted a more comfortable one than the K371 ... I hope I got all 3 in one buy. :D
IEM:
KZ DQ6
& Blon BL-03 I did an oopsy with the Tin t2plus and damaged the right channel + fit issues. Need a new pair of IEMs to go for walks. (don't like to take the B2D outside) Couldn't make a decision so went for both (they are cheap!!!) The KZ for the fit and because it's a 3 DD design. The Blon because it's a safe bet regarding the tuning.

I've just recently come into possession of a pair of Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT closed backs myself. Paired with the Tone 2 Pro it's given me exactly what I was looking for. I'm also expecting a pair of Tin Hifi P1's tomorrow. :D

Thanks for sharing.

RHO

Major Contributor
I've just recently come into possession of a pair of Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT closed backs myself. Paired with the Tone 2 Pro it's given me exactly what I was looking for. I'm also expecting a pair of Tin Hifi P1's tomorrow. :D

Thanks for sharing.
Got the bill for taxes and import fees today. (€116):eek::mad:
Now I really hope they are worth it.

Arnas

Focal Utopia - expensive detail monster yet still immensely enjoyable. The most realistic spherical soundstage when using binaural, spatial audio, 3D game audio.

BLON BL-05S - truly remarkable for their low price of ~$40, may prefer their target curve over the ER4SR for lifelike natural presentation. Under-appreciated gems from 2020. helps to recable for aesthetic and so it doesn't tangle. Somewhat shallow fit, but comfortable. may require tip rolling.

Sennheiser HD8 - bass cannons. a bit loose in the bass, but the driver quality matches/exceed HD650. Mid-range is classic Sennheiser. Takes a while to get used to, good for electronic and the sound profile works well outdoors.

Etymotic ER4SR - a classic reference. Good isolation. Neutral, flat signature. A bit dry, good detail, a bit compressed in total dynamic range.
I really loved HD8 dj, but headband was diggin in my head so much i had to sell it. Insane bass!

RHO

Major Contributor
Current own:
Wired headphones:
Sennheiser HD6XX
Those mids ... sooooo good! Overall a very pleasing headphone for long listening sessions.
Sennheiser HD477 These are really old. They sound really warm and a bit muddy.
AKG K371 Surprisingly good for the money. Just as good as the HD6XX but in a different way (more bass and brighter, less silky smooth)
Beyerdynamic DT770pro 250Ohm with Dekoni Jerzee pads Less bright and more comfortable than with the stock pads, but the mids are lacking. Just too much of a V-shaped sound signature. Voices are too recessed. Bass is a bit too boomy.
Superlux HD668B (velour pads) Bright! But overall not too bad. For the money they are worth it. They give a flimsy impression but mine last for more than 8 years already.

Bluetooth:
Sony MDR-ZX770BT
Mediocre NC, mediocre sound, good comfort, reliable BT connection
OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2 (IEM) Bright! Ouch!

IEM:
Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk
Amazing sound quality. Very good fit for my ears. Love them!
Tin Hifi T2plus Not bad for the price. Comfort is not good for me. They just don't agree with the shape of my ears.

On their way to my house:
Wired headphones:
Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT
I just wanted a really good planar. I just wanted a really good closed back headphone. I just wanted a more comfortable one than the K371 ... I hope I got all 3 in one buy. :D
IEM:
KZ DQ6
& Blon BL-03 I did an oopsy with the Tin t2plus and damaged the right channel + fit issues. Need a new pair of IEMs to go for walks. (don't like to take the B2D outside) Couldn't make a decision so went for both (they are cheap!!!) The KZ for the fit and because it's a 3 DD design. The Blon because it's a safe bet regarding the tuning.
KZ DQ6 and DCA Aeon RT came in today. 2 completely different headphones. They couldn't be further apart you would think ... but they share quite a bit of their soundsignature. (KZ with spinfit CP240 tips/Aeon RT with stock white inlays) o_O
Both do bass quite well. Both add a bit of clarity to the sound but don't overdo it. Mids are a bit more forward on the KZ I think.

The DCA are the most expensive headphones I've got. So I expect a lot from them. (in contrast with the cheap IEMs) They don't disappoint. I really like how they sound. And the build is amazing.
Those KZ's are quite impressive good for the money, if you like a brighter sound signature.
Edit: I have to correct myself here, because this complete BS.
What happened: I got the KZ's in quite early in the morning and started listening to them right away. I like them. A few hours later the Aeons came in. So I swapped directly to them. For some reason I found the sound signature quite similar (to my surprise). So I kept listening to the Aeons. Later that day (night) I swapped back to the KZ DQ6s... They do not sound like the Aeons at all! The Aeons are much more balanced. Much less bright. The KZ's are much more V-shaped. They are a fun tuned IEM that is quite on the bright side but still has a good deep bass rumble with maybe a bi lacking upper bass. The Aeons are a well balanced set of headphones with good bass, very nice mids, some treble spikes but nothing annoying. They have quite good detail over the complete spectrum.

Last edited:
M1570
DT1990
Focal Elegia
Audeze Mobius
Galaxy Buds Pro
6XX
Sundara
M570
Galaxy Buds
TWS600(terrible)
Anker Q30
Soundsurge 46
MPOW H12
Mixcder E10
Modern Retro
BT 8323
Modded Focuspad-A DT990

I own too many damn headphones

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
M1570
DT1990
Focal Elegia
Audeze Mobius
Galaxy Buds Pro
6XX
Sundara
M570
Galaxy Buds
TWS600(terrible)
Anker Q30
Soundsurge 46
MPOW H12
Mixcder E10
Modern Retro
BT 8323

I own too many damn headphones
No you don't. :cool:
Quite a few of those that I would like to try myself.

RHO

Major Contributor
Well, out of your list I would like to have a listen to the DT1990, M1570, Elegia, Sundara and Buds pro.
So, yes, nice list you got there. :)

Well, out of your list I would like to have a listen to the DT1990, M1570, Elegia, Sundara and Buds pro.
So, yes, nice list you got there. :)
all fantastic except Elegia which arrives today so we will see, and I literally just had 2 nightmares about it being delivered and saw when I wokeup my GF was gone who I told to be ready to sign for it.... in one dream it said "B - stock" and some terrible shit on the box and it weighed nothing and I literally flattened it with my hand and big sad it was empty before even opening...Then I thought I woke up and checked tracking in one of those "woke up from a dream but still dreaming dreams", so I "checked tracking" and for some reason it was just smooshed between like a million other boxes and clearly crushed to death like it had been thrown in with dozens of others into one of those car crushers... and for some reason they were all completely flat like a perfect stack of pancakes but crepes, but parts of my package it were bulging out enough to see it was addressed to me, and said some status shit on the tracking site like "humanely accidently crushed" and I don't know if you ever had your mouth agape in shock while dreaming and your mouth was clearly closed bcus asleep but I sure did, glad I woke up.

They are all fantastic but for the DT1990 you have to buy like $80 in pads... the M1570 needs EQ and so does the Sundara both for mid and sub bass big bumps like near 8db and you want a powerful amp for Sundara because if you just boost the frequencies it sounds shit you have to mimic analog power bass boost button on amp and instead lower all other frequencies while keeping the bass at/around 0 db and tapering down and feed it tons of power...

buds pro are very nice but order these cheap tips and try to stick to smaller ones so you can close the case and it will save you lots of woe because the normal tips suck d and seal horribly https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RZS7KWG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What are your favourites?
Now to you, I also forgot a headphone off the list but I will probably sell it and it was my first real higher end headphone I bought a long time ago that was stolen so I wanted a closed back and I thought I have money now why not rebuy and try because I liked it a lot but then the Elegias came up and I bought them and I don't need both and I know the Elegias will blow them out of the water because they are from like 2013 and not even worth $200 back in the day with some overpriced DSP bullshit to crank up the $$$

But my favorite by a mile is the M1570 either with a good bass boost or EQ, even without it edges everything else, just super solid bass, great vocal clarity, and some sparkle but not harsh highs... here is a ranking of all my favorites from best to worst

M1570(eq'ed bass or non eq'ed bass)
DT1990
Updated - Elegia
Audeze Mobius*(with the usefulness of bt/mic factored in)
Galaxy Buds Pro*(with usefull ness of ANC TWS factored in)
M570
Sundara(same rank also whether eq'ed bass or not but I do eq bass)
Audeze Mobius*(on sound alone)
Updated - Modded Focuspad-A DT990
Galaxy Buds Pro*(on sound alone)
6XX(not a big fan tbh, don't listen to vocals much and hate bass roll, this ranked is same with/without eq)
Anker Q30(same with/without usefullness)
BT 8323
Galaxy Buds
Mixcder E10
MPOW H12
Soundsurge 46
Modern Retro
TWS600(terrible)

Last edited:
Reactions: RHO

nodemms

Headphones I currently own:
-Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT closed
-TinHiFi P1
-KZ AS10
-Audio-Technica ATH-M50
-Sony WH1000XM2

Headphone I have owned:
-Philips X2HR
-Hifiman HE-35X
-TinHifi T2
-Beyerdynamic DT 770

Posting this really brought to light how much of an upgrade the Aeon's are for me. Still no regrets. I have been using the P1's a bit more to give my hair a bit of a break. I've been listening through the Khadas Tone2 Pro and am thinking of looking into a dedicated amplifier in the near future.

The drop THX 789 is near the top of my list of amplifiers I've been considering. I'm open to any suggestions or recommendations.

wow just got the Elegia... even without burn in it's up there... had some weirdness with a song I like and was scared my genre of choice hip hop/synth I would hate it but damn it just impressed me.... liking that W signature even without forward bass presentation... the texturing of the bass though oh man yeah it's goooood.... damn it's def. top 3 for me now, does not beat the M1570 by a good bit but I could see how if it didn't have that initial weirdness in the first rap song I listened to I would be thinking of selling my DT1990 especially if I hadn't invested in hundreds of dollars of pads with 3 specifically being bought to tune it and keep the sound signature and kill the dip/peak (elite velours).... But I will let it burn in and see but I think it's close to the DT1990 can't say for sure but a bit under it maybe... I can see how it was $900 now despite the wonkiness on certain tracks and while I don't agree with Crin's rating of it (I don't agree with his DT1990 rating either, for Crin I listen to his good/buy advice and discard anything he rates under A tier as unusable knowledge, for Zeos I do the opposite, for him I say Zeos will never get me to buy something but he will get me to NOT buy something....) it's got some frankly impressive technical skills and all without an AMP off a phone.... However I would never pay $900 or even $700 for it, I think the correct price is about ebay market of $600 tops, the build had random irregularities like the sound although with the sound it's mostly solid the build quality LOOKS good and feels good but the fact on the next gen headphones they included like metal and leather in the cups alone is a big hit IMO, while it looks premium the cups don't feel premium and for me that's a big miss because the rest feels damn good from everything to the sliders to the pads to even the opening for the driver.... If they found a way to kill that bit of wonkiness while keeping the signature otherwise same/good and had the metal/leather cups instead of basically plastic I could see these being $900 with a drop more of technical or even just soundstage(soundstage is pretty good tho) on an already impressive package, so close damn, oh well I will still use them vs galaxy buds pro when there is no rain or just to flex.... they look expensive for sure.. Time to burn in!

EDIT- wow I am so dumb I forgot I had DT990's I modded to basscannons with mutilated Focuspad-A's I updated the ranking -_-

Last edited:

Tomy

Sennheiser HD 650.
Sennheiser HD 599 (for TV).
Meze Audio 99 NEO.
Beyerdynamic Soul BYRD.
Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear.
Avantree Audition Pro (for TV).

Phos

I technically still have my ATH-A900's, though I don't think I can remember the last time I used them.
I had a set of Sure IEMs, I think they were the base model, a 215 or something like that. Basically used them as earplugs that could podcast on airplanes
My QC15's took their place, still kicking
This is making me realize how long I've been using my Sennheiser PC360's. This a HD595 but with a boom mic.
Briefly had a set of HE-400's very near launch, anyone else who was there for that debacle will not be surprised that I ended up with HE-500's by the end of that. The HE-500's have Lawton Audio earcups on them, to my ear at least, they sound like the stock velour pads. To compare, I put different ear cups on each side and mess around with sine gen to see if the image moves to either side.
At some point I also got a set of B&W P7's, which I use whenever I need portability but not that much isolation. Kinda seems to me, from looking at speaker tests, that B&W make better headphones than they do speakers.

cestmoi

Just a few budget ones as hd6xx, he4xx, dt990 pro, k371, shp9500, and hd599se.
Some ultra budget cans as well, but they don't deserve any attention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom