• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Recommendations for Magni+Modi stack.

amagumo

Greetings.

I am planning to purchase Magni + Modi + Loki stack (already got Magni) and looking for headphone recommendations. I already own Fidelio X1 and interested in upgrade. What headphones do you recommend to see noticeable difference. Budget (250 USD for used pair).

Thanks,
Temo

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Beyerdynamic dt770 250 ohm is always fun and comfortable. Hifiman He5xx is really nice, I use one every day along with a 7hz Zero:2 IEM. The DT880 250 ohm is another great value for the money.

unpluggged

It's a strange strategy to choose headphones based on your amplifier model.

OP
A

amagumo

The Beyerdynamic dt770 250 ohm is always fun and comfortable. Hifiman He5xx is really nice, I use one every day along with a 7hz Zero:2 IEM. The DT880 250 ohm is another great value for the money.
Thank you.

OP
A

amagumo

It's a strange strategy to choose headphones based on your amplifier model.
I am a complete beginner. Chose the lowest stack based on the aesthetics and build quality alone. My Philips is ok but has a low impedance.

KR500

Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO 250 ohm model, or the non pro version if you listen for hours
I also own the 770 PRO; 990 Edition and 880 600 ohm versions but feel the 880 PRO is the best all round balanced one of them after a lot of listening hours of each model
I bought the exact same Schmidt Audio Stack you mention in your post although I also use The Whammy headphone amp Wayne C. Designed
These Beyers were upgrades for me from my closed and open Audio Technica M50 and 900X models.
Beyers have excellent ear pads easily removeable for washing or replacement.
Designed and made in Germany

Last edited:
OP
A

amagumo

Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO 250 ohm model, or the non pro version if you listen for hours
I also own the 770 PRO; 990 Edition and 880 600 ohm versions but feel the 880 PRO is the best all round balanced one of them after a lot of listening hours of each
These Beyers were upgrades for me from closed and open Audio Technica models and have excellent ear pads easily removeable for washing or replacement.
Designed and made in Germany
Thank you.

unpluggged

I am a complete beginner. Chose the lowest stack based on the aesthetics and build quality alone. My Philips is ok but has a low impedance.
This stack is able to drive virtually any headphone. It's better to start with something well-regarded and safe, such as the Drop x Sennheiser HD 6XX (perhaps also to play with some EQ), and then to explore other options using that as a reference.

KR500

“I am planning to purchase Magni + Modi + Loki stack”

For your budget this is an excellent option imho
I own the same stack and have upgraded to the latest models of the Magni and Modi, the 3+ and 3E
They are improvements on the earlier models
The JDS Labs stack are a great option but their eq is simpler, only 2 band

OP
A

amagumo

“I am planning to purchase Magni + Modi + Loki stack”

For your budget this is an excellent option imho
I own the same stack and have upgraded to the latest models of the Magni and Modi, the 3+ and 3E
They are improvements on the earlier models
The JDS Labs stack are a great option but their eq is simpler, only 2 band
I am sure there are better options around for the price or a little bit more but I just love the design.

KR500

“I am sure there are better options around for the price or a little bit more but I just love the design”

Bellari makes a similarly priced 4 band eq but it has some reported safety design issues,
I also own the Topping D10 DAC but prefer the Modi 3E

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have the Magni+, the Modi+ and the Loki. I use Sennheiser HD650 headphones. On the Loki, I boost the lowest bass setting just a bit to make it sound right to me.

When I listen to Hayley Westenra I turn the highest treble down a bit. Her voice can get a little piercing otherwise.

dzerig

If you can find a DCA Aeon RT (retails at $500, often on sale for $400, used probably about $320), Magni would drive it in high gain. Not much headroom, but I think it's a great headphone.

Sennheiser 560 is a neutral deal at $140 on sale, about $200 new.

Grado is a matter of taste, but you find a Hemp used for around $250-$300. Not a whole lot of subbass, but less treble emphasis than regular Grado. Much darker actually, but keeps the quick, open sound.

Top Bottom