• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

snakedctr

Schiit

Revel, Klipsch, Jbl, Polk, Bose, Sonos, Sonus faber, Genelec, Sigberg, Kii, Dutch&dutch, Adam, Kali

Elac Debut Reference

Shakti stones

Cambridge, Rega, Hegel

Topping, Smsl, Ncore, Purify, Molamola, Eigentakt (non-repairable high sinad cult)

Dirac, Baccccccccccccch

anything *Meta, Reference, Heritage, Special

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Schiit

Revel, Klipsch, Jbl, Polk, Bose, Sonos, Sonus faber, Genelec, Sigberg, Kii, Dutch&dutch, Adam, Kali

Elac Debut Reference

Shakti stones

Cambridge, Rega, Hegel

Topping, Smsl, Ncore, Purify, Molamola, Eigentakt (non-repairable high sinad cult)

Dirac, Baccccccccccccch

I'm sure you love your Bose Home Theater.
You forgot to kick Genelec ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit

Elac Debut Reference

Shakti stones

Cambridge, Rega, Hegel

Dirac, Baccccccccccccch

That's a very mixed bag.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are the first person I ever heard who called Klipsch a "luxury brand". Ditto for Focal.
+
Klipsch, the consumer stuff with bronze coloured drivers, I agree with you but Focal makes some very expensive speakers. Price is a marker of ‘lux’ brands.
I wish there was a "half-Like" button at ASR: :oops: I would have given one of those to @jsrtheta for the Klipsch part... since I already gave a "Like" to @Gringoaudio1....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I believe "luxury" is credited by costs, not SQ.
$40,000 for a pair of Jubilee's isn't exactly pocket change, at least for me. LOL

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Klipsch is certainly trying to break into the "upscale" category. With some success.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When not listening to music through the Krells, you could use them for arc welding.
That was my impression. Expensive, but indestructible and very long-lived.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
When not listening to music through the Krells, you could use them for arc welding.
Thats what @RayDunzl uses with his Krells for speaker cables.
JK Ray, but true none the less. :p

bethslave

For me Apple and Bose. I recently purchased an MX-5 Miata which has Bose 'Premium' audio. It is far from premium and the stock system in my Kia Sorento is much better balanced and closer to HiFi.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I wrong?
I would not call Klipsch a luxury brand although they do sell some expensive speakers. Their low end takes away from the “luxury” of the brand itself. I’d describe Klipsch as a “multi-tier” brand.

Wilson and Magico would be luxury brands.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would not call Klipsch a luxury brand although they do sell some expensive speakers. Their low end takes away from the “luxury” of the brand itself.
But VW has Porsche/Lamborghini/Bugatti.

Klipsch Heritage is as much of a luxury brand as Magnepan is. It’s an Audi/BMW/Lexus/Mercedes mainstream luxury level. Luxury isn’t restricted to Rolls Royce, Ferrari, etc.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sotheby’s defines a luxury brand as “…those that offer products or services associated with rarity, excellence, and high prices. They are often seen as status symbols and are popular among high-net-worth individuals (HNWI) and aspirational consumers.”

From that perspective, I don’t think the Klipsch brand meets the mark, even though the Heritage line (sub-brand) targets some of those same customers.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom