• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How many audio forums do you follow?

r042wal

Forum Donor
I have 11 audio forums in my 'Audio' bookmark on my browser. I follow and contribute to 4 or 5 including this forum. The remaining forums seem to get little traffic and new posts are few and far between.

ASR has a lot of traffic and it has become my #1 goto place. There is another forum I used to frequent all the time because I bought one of their DACs, but I started pulling my hair out over the cult following relating to cords, fuses, up-sampling, break-in, power conditioners, etc. Always the same OPs, always predictable what you read. Very close minded group, however, very helpful many times so I give credit where it is due,

I value @Amir's measurements when doing an analysis, and although it would be at the top of my list when making a choice, I really shy away from 'golden airs' and the 'special people' that can hear dead people and tell me they hear things I don't.

My saving grace is that I am not in the market for upgrades. I am quite comfortable where I'm at. I always wanted a reel-to-reel for nostalgist reasons and just bought a brand new (never used) 4-channel Teac 3340S 15 IPS 10.5" that I hope to put a Qobuz album on then transfer to my Aurender music server.

Cheers all from Canada

Rob

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just ASR. The only other one I frequented got overrun by people asking dumb questions about stuff I don't care about. I could never frequent the normal audio forums or blogs, the level of nonsense would drive me crazy.

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
Just ASR. The only other one I frequented got overrun by people asking dumb questions about stuff I don't care about. I could never frequent the normal audio blogs, the level of nonsense would drive me crazy.
Right on track with you. My standard reply lately has been 'click bait' just to stir the hornets nest :cool:

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Apart from ASR, I occassionaly take a look in Head-Fi to check some head gear news and user feedback (despite the cable esoterics and burn-in nonsense). Sometimes I read pro monitor reviews on Sound & Sound.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just ASR, banned from all the rest, objectivism doesn’t sit well with the industry/subjective model.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
ASR mostly. I have tried several DIY forums and SBAF.
Signed up for PS Audio a few years back and called out a member for evangelizing fancy fuses, it turned out he was one of their top design engineers and my account was quickly terminated.
No loss then.
Keith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR mostly. I have tried several DIY forums and SBAF.
Signed up for PS Audio a few years back and called out a member for evangelizing fancy fuses, it turned out he was one of their top design engineers and my account was quickly terminated.
I think "design engineers" belongs in quotes :facepalm:

Todd k

Forum Donor
joined audiogon in the late 90’s, rarely go there now and when I do it’s for entertainment purposes only. Since finding asr I never go to head fi or any of the other sites I used to visit. Still like to browse US Audiomart though a gaze over the offerings even though I’m pretty set gear wise.This place rocks for the best an most even handed audio advice on the web. Thanks Amir and company.

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
Just ASR, banned from all the rest, objectivism doesn’t sit well with the industry/subjective model.

You are a trooper! I appreciate your tenacity!

In one of the other audio forums they had a thread about how much they liked their cars. Volvos came up and I commented how China owns 100% of of Volvo. The Volvo lovers did not like that and one of the more frequent posters with a high profile on the forum told me it was 'time to move on'. It bugged me that people could be so dismissive.

My position for me and any other OP is that if it is worth their time or my time to post, it warrants consideration. I am totally OK if my post does not align with the readers train of thought.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are a trooper! I appreciate your tenacity!

In one of the other audio forums they had a thread about how much they liked their cars. Volvos came up and I commented how China owns 100% of of Volvo. The Volvo lovers did not like that and one of the more frequent posters with a high profile on the forum told me it was 'time to move on'. It bugged me that people could be so dismissive.

My position for me and any other OP is that if it is worth their time or my time to post, it warrants consideration. I am totally OK if my post does not align with the readers train of thought.
ASR does tend to tolerate a lot of different viewpoints better than the typical internet forum. The vinyl threads are a good example.

Waxx

Major Contributor
ASR and Diyaudio.com actively, i read a few more. I'm also in some FB groups about (mostly diy) audio. Most other fora tell to much bullshit, and i'm also banned on some for reacting against that.

Reactions: EJ3
OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
ASR does tend to tolerate a lot of different viewpoints better than the typical internet forum. The vinyl threads are a good example.

I'm good with that because we are dedicated to a more scientific principal. When people post about the direction of an AC fuse I get so fueled with contempt given the electronics and IT background I have come from. I know it is not a healthy attitude so I disengage and try not to go looking for content that that does not align with by experience and beliefs.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm good with that because we are dedicated to a more scientific principal. When people post about the direction of an AC fuse I get so fueled with contempt given the electronics and IT background I have come from. I know it is not a healthy attitude so I disengage and try not to go looking for content that that does not align with by experience and beliefs.
If you say, "I like it" here, most people shrug. If you try to posit some goofy new scientific principle, you'll get push back.

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
If you say, "I like it" here, most people shrug. If you try to posit some goofy new scientific principle, you'll get push back.
@fpitas I hear you and do not plan going there. On another forum I got into an exchange on materials for speaker cabinets (MDF vs. BB) but I like to make my point and move on. With ASR, this community and the level of expertise exceeds anything I have accumulated over the years so there is no problem with goofy scientific principles from me. That was a funny comment BTW. Cheers from Canada

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... and if you say that you like goofy new scientific principles... you get your own YT channel and millions of minions lining up for magic cables and power cords... after a pilgrimage to either Texas or Colorado. My only question is... how does flat earth gravity impact my cable lifters?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We're very closed minded here about cutting edge audio "science" :facepalm:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
The vinyl threads are a good bad example.
Fixed it for ya. We tolerate this thread to our frustration and sanity. But the Members seem to enjoy the thread and we are here to Serve our Members. This approach is part of the magic of the place. :cool:

Top Bottom