• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How many audio forums do you follow?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: EJ3

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

How many audio forums do you follow?​

giphy.gif

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ASR has pretty much broken all other forums, magazines and internet groups for me.
I browse sometimes but soon start twitching (where's the evidence... why doesn't anyone care.)
Steven Hoffman, Discogs sometimes for views on a specific release of an album. Nothing about gear.
I've started reading proper books instead:)

Ambient384

Used to post on /r/Headphones but Reddit as whole seems not care about It userbase spouting nonsense with mods worse than GameFAQ's.

1# : Too many hype up Dynamic based gear the ER4XR & Sundara can handle +10db bass yet the HD650 just distorts.

2# : Have a horrid habit of being unable engage without making me not care what they have to say. Basically the same issue SBAF has.

3# : Nothing but zero effort memes and the mods nuking actual debate threads for no reason.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I started on Head-Fi...then they went insane. So I moved to SuperBestAudioFriends...and they eventually went bonkers too. When I was still there, one day there was a fiery and loud thread, a "deconstruction" of this new kid's on the block apparently manic ranting about some measurements or else on this other new site...and this is how I discovered ASR, and never looked back.
Same, stop by Head-fi on occasion for new gear info, but most of my time is spent here learning from you fine folks. I don't say much, but I do listen.

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
"engineers" should at least be in quotes as I don't think you qualify as one if you aren't objective and scientific. -At the very least in your area of expertise.
I got certified as a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and then was told by the professional community I could not use the title. My ego was shattered :facepalm:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am about 99.9 % in ASR, 0.1 % viewing-only (ROM; read-only-member) in other forums only when interestingly/importantly hyperlinked from ASR...

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I got certified as a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and then was told by the professional community I could not use the title. My ego was shattered :facepalm:

I remember how it blew my mind when I first learned that some parts of the world refer to a train driver as a 'railroad engineer'. Too much operator and way too little builder/designer to make me accept that as a worthy title :D

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I remember how it blew my mind when I first learned that some parts of the world refers to a train driver as a 'railroad engineer'. Too much operator and way too little builder/designer to make me accept that as a worthy title :D

Must be a struggle to get through an episode of Silo or Snowpiercer then. :)

I'll admit I'm bemused that US-ians appear to put engineering in their science faculties. We say engineers are 'plumbers with degrees' (no offence if that joke doesn't translate).

CapMan

Major Contributor
ASR and the Harbeth User Group (which has a similarly objective mantra on most hifi things and some interesting threads about life outside audio)

CapMan

Major Contributor
I remember how it blew my mind when I first learned that some parts of the world refers to a train driver as a 'railroad engineer'. Too much operator and way too little builder/designer to make me accept that as a worthy title :D
Everyone who can hold a spanner or screwdriver seems to be an engineer in the UK.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I worked for a very large US bank for most of my career and held job titles of 'Lead Solution Engineer' and 'Chief Engineer'. My peers in the US held the same titles, I was unaware that there was any issue with using the term in the US until fairly recently. There is a discussion of this topic on ASR here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...an-electrical-engineer-not-an-engineer.10333/

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I worked for a very large US bank for most of my career and held job titles of 'Lead Solution Engineer' and 'Chief Engineer'. My peers in the US held the same titles, I was unaware that there was any issue with using the term in the US until fairly recently. There is a discussion of this topic on ASR here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...an-electrical-engineer-not-an-engineer.10333/

Guild politics, basically.

Edit: I recall a government job I had I while back where I was in the system as "engineer" and had the photo ID access card to match. Should've kept that one for posterity. A bit of a chip to be called an engineer in a science role here, but I was basically doing software so the joke was on everyone (including me).

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I regularly follow:

Stereo Net Australia. As good as ASR is, it does not have the "Australian community" focus that SNA does. Pretty much everyone you interact with over there is an Australian, and I have met many members and visited their homes to listen to their systems. The interesting thing about visiting others is that their systems are a reflection of their personality and their audio philosophy. You can tell who has been reading too many copies of The Absolute Sound and who has a more science based approach. It's also a great way to discover new music.

Acourate User Group. That place is as dead as a graveyard but every now and then I learn how to do things better.

No forum is perfect. With ASR, I wish this place was nicer. We seem to have driven off some people who would be great contributors due to the aggression of some members - people like @mitchco, @Archimago, @crinacle, etc. are not banned (as far as I am aware?) but I wish they would post more. Then there are the people who have been banned, most notably Erin. Then there are the bans on certain topics, like MQA. OTOH it can not be denied that ASR has had a massive cultural impact on our hobby. ALL other forums will mention ASR at some point, either in support of ASR or denigrating ASR.

I too was a member of rec.audio (and also rec.audio.australia). I wonder what happened to Dick Pierce. I meant to ask him whether he has a Prince Albert Ring ;)

Dal1as

Just ASR and AVSforums anymore. Audioholics until it turned into a political echo chamber. Still remember the days of the rptv forums and remote control one. Good times.

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
I had to stop following forums where $1000 ac cables were to fiz line level issues for the 6' from your wall outlet to the amp. Direction ac fuses told me I was in the wrong croud as well. People that think they know what they are talking about don't realize a good quality amp gets converted to dc where ti si rectifies, filtered and regulated. It could care less about your ac all the way up to the pole not to mention just your electrical panel. Power amps should never be plugged into power conditioners. Yawn :)

beagleman

Major Contributor
Fixed it for ya. We tolerate this thread to our frustration and sanity. But the Members seem to enjoy the thread and we are here to Serve our Members. This approach is part of the magic of the place. :cool:
I think a lot are using the vinyl thread as an "outlet" for audio frustration, and having a bit of a "Go" at it also.

I know I am at times, but frankly now bored with it all.

Top Bottom