• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How many audio forums do you follow?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, such an old thread for me to just have caught up with ???
I've been around a long time and been a member of many audio sites.
Most that I no longer frequent were subjective type sites that I could either no longer stomach or got banned from.
A shining example might be WBF which I was banned from for supporting Amir there, and then following him here after he started ASR.
I can occasionally be heard making a post or two at other sites, but in the main only contribute to two, here and over at Quadraphonic Quad, a site dedicated to multichannel music enthusiasts. For the most part I can no longer deal with bickering against the audiophools and their hallucinations. LOL

Serious question.

Given the disdain you and many others hold for the audiophool side of the hobby, I'm surprised sometimes that it seems you still follow somewhat various subjective review rags. Do you still get anything out of them, or is it mostly to keep track of the stuff that annoys you?

Rick63

About 10 years ago I was a member of around 7 or 8 audio forums, these days this is pretty much the only one. Even then, only post on occasion. I've been trying to spend much less time online the last couple of years, especially on audio forums. It's better for my (empty) wallet. :)

Reactions: EJ3

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I like Hi Fi Haven, but is a bit on the too quiet side, but have found cool stuff in the for sale section!

I like the Hoffman forums, but they are on the frenetic side. Threads roll by very quickly. I think I'd like more subdivision of topics. Great place to learn about different record pressings!!!

Audio Karma is pleasant. I keep up at Analog Planet, Stereophile, and Tracking Angle.

That's about it.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, such an old thread for me to just have caught up with ???
I've been around a long time and been a member of many audio sites.
Most that I no longer frequent were subjective type sites that I could either no longer stomach or got banned from.
A shining example might be WBF which I was banned from for supporting Amir there, and then following him here after he started ASR.
I can occasionally be heard making a post or two at other sites, but in the main only contribute to two, here and over at Quadraphonic Quad, a site dedicated to multichannel music enthusiasts. For the most part I can no longer deal with bickering against the audiophools and their hallucinations. LOL
I, too am only over at Quadraphonic Quad, as I have 2 APT/Holman Preamps, that, combined, can run quad by doing this:
Quadraphonic Synthesis

With two Holman Preamplifiers, you can synthesis and control four output channels from just two input channels.

Apply all your inputs to the first Holman Preamplifier. Use it for all your tone controls, filters and source and tape selections. Leave its Stereo Mode in Stereo.

Connect the first Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 1 output to one power amplifier and your two front speakers.

Connect the first Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 2 output to any line-level input of the second Holman Preamplifier.

Connect the second Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 1 output to the power amplifier for your two rear speakers.

Rotate the second Holman Preamplifier's stereo mode control to L-R, and start by setting it to about unity gain or a bit less, and keep its tone controls flat. The tone and filter settings of the first Holman Preamplifier are fed automatically to the second Holman Preamplifier.

Set balance on the first preamp. Set front-rear balance on the Volume control of the second preamp.

Leave the power switch of the second preamp ON, and plug its power cord into a switched outlet of the first Holman Preamplifier. Now the power is controlled by the first Holman Preamplifier, too.

I have a couple of Dahlquist M-905 speakers that need repairing (I need one more cab [a flood came just high enough to get the bottom of one of this pair]).
Another pair I have that have been recapped, I use daily.
It seems that the Schiit Syn would be a fun item to add to the mix: so sometime next year (I've run out of my audio budget for this year)...

FishInLA

My primary forum presence is at AVSForum, with ASR being a place I check out from time to time.

A little surprised at how few in this thread frequent AVSForum, which I greatly enjoy and find indispensable. But ASR is great too!

EERecordist

I follow the Facebook Classical Music Recording, DPA, and the Mastering group. Facebook has many specialized audio-relevant groups with continuous traffic. A favorite is film recorder Simon Hayes and URSA interviewing film recorders. I subscribe to TapeOP - it is free. I follow field recording and production recording on Reddit. I follow RME forums for my equipment. I dip into DIY, Gear Space, Recording Hacks, Sound on Sound, and several YouTube channels as needed.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just here.
Was a member at others until about 15 year's ago when you got the 'audiophile' cultist's ruining everything with their pretentious nonsense. A lot of the community and fun element has been ruined over the years, same in D.I.Y scene also.

recycle

Just here.
Was a member at others until about 15 year's ago when you got the 'audiophile' cultist's ruining everything with their pretentious nonsense. A lot of the community and fun element has been ruined over the years, same in D.I.Y scene also.
"... the 'audiophile' cultist's ruining everything with their pretentious nonsense..."
Winner!

Top Bottom