• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Shipping product with design defects speaks volumes about company ethics.

Every single audio company does that more or less knowingly at some point. You can never guarantee that a product won't have a defect that only shows its ugly face after it has been released into the wild. Making electronics at a price point is about skill, but it's also about compromises and risk assessment.

I've seen $50K amps with really unfortunate design choises that only shows up in real world thermal cycling scenarios. No company is immune.

If a company does it on purpose not giving a f¤¤k, then sure, that's unethical. I just can't imagine why they would do that. It's financial suicide.

Honestly the vibe of bigger "luxury" audio brands like McIntosh, Klipsch, Focal, etc is off-putting to me and doesn't communicate anything appealing to me as a consumer other than "Buy this if you're a boomer with cash"

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Honestly the vibe of bigger "luxury" audio brands like McIntosh, Klipsch, Focal, etc is off-putting to me and doesn't communicate anything appealing to me as a consumer other than "Buy this if you're a boomer with cash"

Let me guess you're a millennial?

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which brand do you find communicating to you?

McIntosh has a distinct visual style which is polarizing but their reliability and performance are pretty impressive. Look at the McIntosh car amp tested here from presumably the early 90s

Which brand do you find communicating to you?

McIntosh has a distinct visual style which is polarizing but their reliability and performance are pretty impressive. Look at the McIntosh car amp tested here from presumably the early 90s
It's really an industrial design thing for me. The car amp has a nice look to me but only due to the standardized form-factor of the enclosure. My favorite era for design is definitely 1980s mid-budget stuff. I love the professional, usable and understated look of stuff from NAD, early Yamaha Natural Sound stuff, Nakamichi, Hafler... And vintage speakers in general appeal to me more than modern ones. So yeah, I'm a millennial who's stuck in an era I barely lived through (lol)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping does offer reasonably priced audio gear that performs well, in spite of the name, which I do not find to be annoying in any way. Disclaimer: I own no Topping gear.
Yeah, Topping doesn't sound like much of anything to me. Just appliance-like.

DLS79

Forum Donor
He may be, dunno. But I kind of feel that way too. I'm 70.

My point was it isn't an age range thing, but a lack of taste issue.

For example, Imo this Focal Stella Utopia EM Evo looks like some prop from a cheesey futuristic sci-fi movie (The Fifth Element comes to mind).
enceinte-couleurs-metalisees.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

For example, Imo this Focal Stella Utopia EM Evo looks like some prop from a cheese futuristic sci-fi movie (The Fifth Element comes to mind).
You do what that speaker tells you to do. Or else!

egellings

Major Contributor

For example, Imo this Focal Stella Utopia EM Evo looks like some prop from a cheesey futuristic sci-fi movie (The Fifth Element comes to mind).
It looks like it's really trying too hard to please its owner.

jsrtheta

You are the first person I ever heard who called Klipsch a "luxury brand". Ditto for Focal.

Top Bottom