• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 633 55.2%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 181 15.8%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 307 26.8%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 199 17.3%
  • DACs

Votes: 349 30.4%
  • Streamers

Votes: 262 22.8%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 236 20.6%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 106 9.2%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 379 33.0%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 269 23.5%

• Total voters

MOCKBA

Just spotted the pair:
Musician Andromeda Full Balanced Headphone Amplifier with 6.35mm/XLR Headphone Outputs Stereo Audio Class A Desktop Headphone Amplifiers Use for Musician Pegasus DAC. As a fan of true Class A amplifier, I hope to see it's review here soon.

luft262

Personally, I would like reviews of the most popular products people are talking about in the internet audio enthusiast community so we can verify if they are actually as good as people are saying they are. For the most part ASR already does this, so I guess just keep up the good work! For example the, Sennheiser 600 series, Topping AMP/DAC, Klipsch Reference speakers and other stuff like that would be good. I would rather see a lot of popular "Mid-Fi" products reviewed because super cheap products take a lot of time to review and are probably mostly of poor quality. Super expensive stuff is cool, but very few people are buying headphones, speakers, or electronics that cost over $1,000 per unit and diminishing returns probably start to apply in an aggressive way. Thank you Amir!

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll confess that desktop and headphone system are of very secondary interest to me. I would like to see more testing of full-scale components, especially midrange and occasionally up-market models: amps, preamps, speakers, subwoofer, etc.

I realize of course that presently Amir relies mainly on members who must ship products to him for testing. This discourages sending of heavy or expensive components. A few manufacturers have shipped him stuff, and I would like to see this this trend expand.

One problem with that, of course, is that higher-end makers will, in very many case, find that their products don't test very well despite very high prices. Lots of these makers, I suspect, will prefer to avoid the embarrassment of poor test results.

Pritsley

personaly I would like to see measurment of how and if the OPamps influence on the sound

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some time ago Amir tested a Dynaco ST 70 Mk3. Test results were dismal not too surprisingly given a dusty, rustly 60 y/o old amp.

It's interest, though, that updated versions of the ST 70 are still being made by several makers/vendors; they are all touted as be significant improvements to the original design (as well as being much newer). I love to see one of these new amps tested to see whether they are better than the original and, indeed, what strengths they might have.

One example is the well-know version by Bob Latino ... see here ... which is available as a kit or assembled.

Another is available from Dynakitkits.com ... here ... as a kit.

Another from Triodeelectronics.com ... here ... as a kit.

Yet another from Audio By Van Alstine ... here ... assembled only.

And also a version from Dynaco.com, the so-called 'Hafler Dynaco ST70' ... here ... assembled and relatively expensive. This version has solid-state rectification.

st70-sum-parts.jpg

Last edited:

gonzoucab

I have for testing (will cover both shipping if needed) a LS22 Audio Research Clone, Made in China with german parts and with all the upgrades offered.

You can see it on my profile pic.

PipHelix

Some time ago Amir tested a Dynaco ST 70 Mk3. Test results were dismal not too surprisingly given a dusty, rustly 60 y/o old amp.

It's interest, though, that updated versions of the ST 70 are still being made by several makers/vendors; they are all touted as be significant improvements to the original design (as well as being much newer). I love to see one of these new amps tested to see whether they are better than the original and, indeed, what strengths they might have.

One example is the well-know version by Bob Latino ... see here ... which is available as a kit or assembled.

Another is available from Dynakitkits.com ... here ... as a kit.

Another from Triodeelectronics.com ... here ... as a kit.

Yet another from Audio By Van Alstine ... here ... assembled only.

And also a version from Dynaco.com, the so-called 'Hafler Dynaco ST70' ... here ... assembled and relatively expensive. This version has solid-state rectification.

st70-sum-parts.jpg

People seem to be really satisfied with the Bob Latino and Van Alstine versions of the ST-70. Both sell out regularly.

Bob Latino claims to have upgraded the power and output transformers along with the board and tubes. Not sure what Van Alstine has done but one assumes both of them would have to be better than a crusty/rusty/dusty original Dynaco that sat in someone’s garage for 30 years.

Maybe not though.

sofrep811

DACs are always evolving so it’s nice to keep up with them. I’ll search but off- hand looking for a review of Emotiva A-100 Amplifier.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please don’t double post in the future. Decided where it will get best traction and post it once. Thank you

I am new here. So not familiar with every post. I posted in the newbie section, then came across this thread and linked (reposted?) to it in a more appropriate place. It was not sure hence the "wrong?" note.
Sorry for my egregious transgression.

PS when do I get my 'donator' badge...lol

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I am new here. So not familiar with every post. I posted in the newbie section, then came across this thread and linked (reposted?) to it in a more appropriate place. It was not sure hence the "wrong?" note.
Sorry for my egregious transgression.

PS when do I get my 'donator' badge...lol
Send pm to @amirm it may take a few days. You can repost it in the more appropriate thread.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Is there any testing on vibration isolators for solid state equipment? It seems that tennis balls are a big deal on this forum. I need some proof that the electrons are being vibrated and tennis balls or whatever isolator is used, is stopping the vibrations. The reason I ask for this is that I have talked with electrons for decades (over 35 years) and I have found that they lie a lot. They will claim they want to be isolated but can't prove they need it. I'm doubtful.

audio2design

Major Contributor
I would like to see some real world testing of power products to determine if they make any difference. By real world, I mean something like a digital source with volume control driving a power amplifier running at "substantial" volume driving a simulated speaker load, not a resistor Of course, it may require identifying a set of components that are not ideal at rejecting issues with line noise and seeing how good the power products are at solving this issue.

A thought would be perhaps adding something like a Chroma 615xx programmable AC source to the test suite that can generate complex AC source waveforms simulating line harmonics and seeing how good equipment is at rejecting it beyond just basic 60Hz rejection.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I would like to see some real world testing of power products to determine if they make any difference. By real world, I mean something like a digital source with volume control driving a power amplifier running at "substantial" volume driving a simulated speaker load, not a resistor Of course, it may require identifying a set of components that are not ideal at rejecting issues with line noise and seeing how good the power products are at solving this issue.

A thought would be perhaps adding something like a Chroma 615xx programmable AC source to the test suite that can generate complex AC source waveforms simulating line harmonics and seeing how good equipment is at rejecting it beyond just basic 60Hz rejection.

Hey, that sounds like real work!

Top Bottom