• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

Mosiris

Kef ls50. Feel like the newer ones are not as built as robust as original years.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are not budget by any means but I would love spinoramas (and THD % please!) of the following speakers:

Harbeth P3ESR, Buchdart S400, Triangle Borea 03, Klipsh RP500M.

Not sure if you're aware, but buchardt has spins on its site. Just missed the early reflections curve but it has the reflections in a separate graph broken into ceiling wall and floor components. They use the klippel too, so the results should be quite similar.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
These are not budget by any means but I would love spinoramas (and THD % please!) of the following speakers:

Harbeth P3ESR, Buchdart S400, Triangle Borea 03, Klipsh RP500M.
Company is sending S400 in for review.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This! - even though a bit out of the price range stated.

I am fascinated by the powered ribbon twitter speakers like the Adam t5 and the old Emotiva Airmotiv 4/5 that seem to have a strong following as computer desktop speakers for relatively low price.
An emotive has arrived for review.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing that might be interesting to measure would be a Bose Acoustimass cube. That is, if Amir is not worried about getting sued by Bose :D
I have two relatives that both have these small Bose cube surround sound setups, makes me shudder.

I also have a relative that bought/renovated a home and wanted a surround sound setup, I offered a more than fair price for a 5.1 setup of extra gear I no longer use. They declined and I'm told they paid more than double for a new system, I have not yet seen what gear they got, but I'm preparing to hide by shocked face when I do.

JW001

I purchased the original Debut 6 in a whim a few years back when it was “crowned” king of the budget bookshelves. I found it to be a strangely voiced speaker, amazing amounts of bass for the size, smooth high end, but a kind of “sucked out” midrange which is the most important frequency range for detail in music. I tried to like it, but got no feeling whatsoever. Had to sell .

It's funny how my impressions of B6s are different from yours. If anything, it's the high end which is lacking a little, and low and midrange are great. What I like about these speakers is that no matter how much I turn the volume up, they sound pleasant and controlled.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
In response to which Genelec to purchase (from Yamaha HS5 thread):
---
Google.com's predictive search for "genelec" shows:
1579468752688.png

Youtube's predictive search for "genelec" shows:
1579468746592.png

Genelec 8010 seems to be the most popular (and most affordable at $350usd/each).
2nd most popular seems to be 8040B, but that's $1175usd/each.

My opinion:
I think it will be good to benchmark the cheapest model first. (Genelec 8010).
Once members loan the more expensive models for measurement, we can see how much better the more expensive models are, and whether the higher cost is worth the upgrade.
That is, if Amir is looking to purchase a unit now.
If he's planning on waiting for members to loan, then review any available model.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is an Airmotive 6S. What kind of reputation does it have?

The Airmotiv 5S were often recommended on AVS as an alternative to the LSR305 for consumer (not professional use). I demoed both together at home, and I had a personal preference for the LSR305. But the Airmotiv 5S were quite nice.

twofires

It's funny how my impressions of B6s are different from yours. If anything, it's the high end which is lacking a little, and low and midrange are great. What I like about these speakers is that no matter how much I turn the volume up, they sound pleasant and controlled.

I wonder if this is similar to the Dynaudio sound. I came from a bunch of very mid-focused British speakers to Dyns, and found they were very smooth and even (other than the mid-bass hump), but sounded a bit lifeless in the mids. They're not, of course, it's just a change from what I was used to.

In the world of headphones I wonder if this is the equivalent of going from AT to Senn, and why some people talk about the Senn veil. Maybe it's not veiled, it's just not forward.

On the subject of Dyns, they're a little outside the budget here, but I look forward to any coming in to test.

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
The Airmotiv 5S were often recommended on AVS as an alternative to the LSR305 for consumer (not professional use). I demoed both together at home, and I had a personal preference for the LSR305. But the Airmotiv 5S were quite nice.

I think the Airmotiv 4/5/6 were iterations of the same basic active speaker. Great reputation for performance at the price point. Emotiva discontinued them and only makes passive speakers now, I think. I also think the Adam 5 are very similar to the Airmotiv, and I have even read that they may have been manufactured in the same factory in China, with different branding - though I have no way to verify that.

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
I wonder if this is similar to the Dynaudio sound. I came from a bunch of very mid-focused British speakers to Dyns, and found they were very smooth and even (other than the mid-bass hump), but sounded a bit lifeless in the mids. They're not, of course, it's just a change from what I was used to.

In the world of headphones I wonder if this is the equivalent of going from AT to Senn, and why some people talk about the Senn veil. Maybe it's not veiled, it's just not forward.

On the subject of Dyns, they're a little outside the budget here, but I look forward to any coming in to test.

I would also vote for Dynaudio measurements, though they are outside the budget.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd be curious to see measurements of the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary model. They are still on their seemingly permanent "sale" price of $500/pair. Very popular, but I haven't seen measurements anywhere. Real walnut or red mahogany veneer, they look quite nice.

Wharfedale Denton 80th walnut.jpg

Wharfedale Denton 80th red mahogany.jpg

https://www.wharfedale.co.uk/denton-80/

They're on Amazon at $500/pair. I think it was originally Music Direct that offered them at that price; it was supposedly discontinued at the time, but apparently sales were very strong at the reduced price, so they seem to have kept up production. Since then, they have created two other "anniversary"/"heritage" models, each larger than the previous. The latest is the Wharfedale Linton, which has been reviewed and measured by Stereophile; it goes for $1500/pair (price includes the dedicated stands).

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-linton-heritage-loudspeaker-measurements

q3cpma

Major Contributor
In response to which Genelec to purchase (from Yamaha HS5 thread):
---
Google.com's predictive search for "genelec" shows:
View attachment 46552

Youtube's predictive search for "genelec" shows:
View attachment 46551

Genelec 8010 seems to be the most popular (and most affordable at $350usd/each).
2nd most popular seems to be 8040B, but that's $1175usd/each.

My opinion:
I think it will be good to benchmark the cheapest model first. (Genelec 8010).
Once members loan the more expensive models for measurement, we can see how much better the more expensive models are, and whether the higher cost is worth the upgrade.
That is, if Amir is looking to purchase a unit now.
If he's planning on waiting for members to loan, then review any available model.
As I posted in that thread, the 8010 is a few years older than the 8020D/8030C and too small to advertise Genelec's signature waveguide. And it may be me, but 3" is really small, even with a subwoofer (a full-range one might have trouble crossing that high and the 8010 would be the SPL bottleneck in the whole).

Personally, I find the 8030C to be the most interesting: it doesn't have the wild FR of the 8010/8020 nor does it have the port "bump":

8010A_horizontal_response.png

8020D_horizontal_response.png

8030C_horizontal_response.png

But, well, it is quite expensive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom