• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the Airmotiv 4/5/6 were iterations of the same basic active speaker. Great reputation for performance at the price point. Emotiva discontinued them and only makes passive speakers now, I think. I also think the Adam 5 are very similar to the Airmotiv, and I have even read that they may have been manufactured in the same factory in China, with different branding - though I have no way to verify that.

Yes. I think the 4 or 5 was first, without an S (not sure)? Then they did some kind of slight upgrade after a few years and added the S designation to the model series.

And yes. There was a Chinese speaker that appears to be the same as the original Airmotiv and may have been first. Whether or not Emotiva asked for any changes to the design from the factory, I don't know.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fresh testing of Bose products and @amirm posting objective data and calling it like he sees it would be a service to all, since they are so popular. Bose bashing for sport is an unfortunate affliction of relic (or soon-to-be relic as this place continues to take off) audio discussions boards.

I don't think measurements are going to vindicate Bose. We already know that Bose Acoustimass is way overpriced for what it is.

However, given that Bose specs don't include frequency response range, they deserve to be measured: https://www.bose.com/en_us/products...imass-10-speaker-system.html#ProductTabs_tab1

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

digicidal

Major Contributor
I am not buying a $1,000 Bose system. :)
Luckily they depreciate much faster (and farther) than almost anything else... should be able to pick up some at a garage sale for about $25. :D

Here's a full 5.1 setup which additionally is a charitable donation - still overpriced IMO but at least it's about 85% off the retail price. LOL

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Company is sending S400 in for review.

Ooh... that's interesting indeed !!

Its one speaker that has caught my attention for a while now. Great specs out those speakers for that size range. Not really entry level affordable by most counts but the price isn't bonkers either.

In any case, they have published measurements for the S400 almost identical to what you are doing here.
It would be a great vindication of their design once you get through them as their measurements do look good.

Hope they will send in their soon to be released active model over soon too !

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Elac Debut because these have been celebrated as great cheap speakers.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I also measured and shared here on ASR; thought it lined up closesly with the soundstage network measurements.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...20i-on-and-off-axis-frequency-response.10186/
View attachment 46471

Subjectively, I thought they sounded fantastic. The measurements aren't quite so amazing, but it depends what you're looking for. The listening window is mostly quite linear but the 2.4K crossover scoop is disappointing (well, maybe not really for a sub-$300 speaker). On the other hand, it does have wide directivity going for it though, maintaining good energy out to 75 degrees up to 7KHz, and DI curves would also probably be decent since the listening window and 75 degree curves have a similar overall shape. Might be able to get away with EQing that region up a bit. I didn't try.

That said, it's worth noting Wirecutter performs blind tests for its speaker choices, and references Toole's work. We don't know the rigor of it, but it does seem the 3020i won fair and square. Would still like to see how it plays out on the klipperama. :)

As we already have good measurements of the Q Acoustics 3020i from soundstagenetwork.com (plus your data), I think @amirm measuring the 3020 (without the 'i') would be more useful for consumers. Then we could also see whether the newer 'i' model is actually any better than the previous 3020 model, or if it's mostly marketing.

The 3020 was the previous winner of Wirecutter's blind tests, and has been universally praised. Also, comparisons with the 3020i like this one suggest the 3020 have more energy in the upper midrange / lower treble, right around the dip exhibited by the 3020i, which could mean the 3020 have very flat response. At not much over $200 a pair they could well be the first bargain gem of these new speaker measurements - the 'Apple dongle of budget passive speakers' :D

Last edited:

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
re: Genelec, whichever model's the closest match to the KH80 that ASR already has in the queue.

lszomb

Forum Donor
I knew sound of them are run out of budgets. However, there are always some discussions around studio monitor vs HiFi speaker. As we have seen a few reviews have been done for studio monitor at low budgets, can we try to test some slightly expensive studio monitors, such as ATC SCM12 or ATC SCM20ASL Vs. some HiFi speakers like Rogers LS3/5 or Harbeth shl5.

That would be a real interesting topic. I knew those speakers are not cheap and hard to move around. I can wait *patiently*.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, a little over budget, but something completely different:
eviction.png

1. I'm only half joking.
  2. Several members here have posted that they're surprisingly good.
  3. 15" woofer! 95dB sensitivity! F*@% yeah!
  4. Even @restorer-john won't call it a toy.
  5. Finally, at only $3.50 per pound, it's cheaper than even the beef kabobs, as well as every other speaker listed so far.
(There's a $180 model with 2" cone tweeter, but it doesn't have Eviction Series branding, so it's obviously junk.)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, a little over budget, but something completely different:
View attachment 46601
  1. I'm only half joking.
  2. Several members here have posted that they're surprisingly good.
  3. 15" woofer! 95dB sensitivity! F*@% yeah!
  4. Even @restorer-john won't call it a toy.
  5. Finally, at only $3.50 per pound, it's cheaper than even the beef kabobs, as well as every other speaker listed so far.
(There's a $180 model with 2" cone tweeter, but it doesn't have Eviction Series branding, so it's obviously junk.)
RFLMAO @ Eviction Series... hehe

lszomb

Forum Donor
Wow, 8030 is really impressive.....I want a pair for my PC.....maybe today. haha.

As I posted in that thread, the 8010 is a few years older than the 8020D/8030C and too small to advertise Genelec's signature waveguide. And it may be me, but 3" is really small, even with a subwoofer (a full-range one might have trouble crossing that high and the 8010 would be the SPL bottleneck in the whole).

Personally, I find the 8030C to be the most interesting: it doesn't have the wild FR of the 8010/8020 not does it have the port "bump":

8010A_horizontal_response.png

8020D_horizontal_response.png

8030C_horizontal_response.png

But, well, it is quite expensive.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see an Eviction measured. I'm sure it'll be a mess, though. Resonances and peaks and valleys... but at high volume with lots of bass, baby!

Hiten

Newbie posting for learning purpose.
If it is not too much inconvenience, it would be interesting to look at changes in low frequency response and distortion of a ported speaker with port open and bunged.
Thanks and regards.

Top Bottom