• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Wikedlok put the egg seater (silicone one's) in between and under the sub's, plug the port's on Linton's and cross them at 80 Hz, future more DSP the output to as much as possible Linkwitz Riley mathematical model (cut the response under 80 Hz for Linton's as much as possible) and preferably use sealed sub's. You will improve RT60 decay times and clarity index. Good luck regarding central chenel speaker they scale from bad to not bad so I won't recommend any.

Glades

Can't wait for that review. The midrange dome and semi Dovedale tweeter seems promising.

hmt

Dont know but then edges scream for diffraction and the placement of the drivers is odd.

MAB

Major Contributor
Dont know but then edges scream for diffraction and the placement of the drivers is odd.
I also wonder about the edges. Wharfedale does have a chamfer/waveguide built into the grille, but they don't have good pictures of the arrangement. Erin measured and commented on the approach in the Linton review:
1709838855571.png

I like the looks of the speaker with the grille on.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From their site
as the lead designer says; “even the grille incorporates internal haping to maximise the power performance of the drive units and avoid interference from reflections from the edges of the cabinet”.
They are aware of the issue, only measurements can let us know if they did a good job.

testp

we could say, they even prefered it this way, with the grilles on: the grill front becomes the baffle and with this wide front they get wider dispersion maybe?

i acutally like the new super duper without grill, but grill on is nice as well

AC1

Denton (regular or Super), Dovedale, Linton, LEAK Sandwich ... all need their grilles on. Not only against diffraction but they are tuned/voiced with grilles on.

In case of the Linton, the Denton 85 and the Super Denton, their front baffle is not veneered so I actually prefer the look of these speakers with their grilles on. It makes them look like a classic BBC speaker.

Last edited:

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is said to be an upgraded version of Linton 85, but strangely, it is only sold in China. I really want to see its measurements.

BRONZEⅢ
1709951765324.png

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not the so-called 'Super Linton'. Someone who lives in China heard them years ago and said the Lintons were much better.
Yes, also from what I have heard Peter Comeau wasn't involved in this model only for the Chinese market so I would prefer the original ones.

hmt

I also wonder about the edges. Wharfedale does have a chamfer/waveguide built into the grille, but they don't have good pictures of the arrangement. Erin measured and commented on the approach in the Linton review:
View attachment 354857
I like the looks of the speaker with the grille on.
Ah ok, integrating some kind of waveguide in the grille seems like as smart idea to actually get rid of diffractions.

Reactions: MAB
OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, also from what I have heard Peter Comeau wasn't involved in this model only for the Chinese market so I would prefer the original ones.
The newest models from him for the vintage Wharfedale line are the Dovedale and Aston:

AC1

Unlike the Denton 85, the Super Denton only has a single wired connection so if the treble is too strong (like it is on the Denton 85) then there's no way of implementing the resistor tweak.

Wharfedale_Super_Denton.jpg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Not even close to the world's smallest 3 way speaker. All those cheap 4" aluminium box speakers with three drivers qualifies
Indeed.
They were a thing back in the 1980s (and beyond). They tended towards the dreadful.

Here's a not-entirely random example from a current eBAY listing (i.e., you may buy these if you wish! ;))

Put them in your car and be the envy of... well... probably no one. :cool:

1710162318166.jpeg

Plus (and speaking of dreadful) Yamaha has sold abominations like these since at least the early 1990s. These were also sold under the Optimus brand name by Radio Shack.

Then:

Now:

1710162220426.jpeg

Top Bottom