• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VMV D2R and VMV P2

mocenigo

Major Contributor
...sometimes you buy stuff because it's nice/cool, not because of sinad.
What's wrong with paying more for fancier unit?
Sometimes I really don't get people here.

There is nothing wrong for that. It is when the price for the nice casework is then sold along with some mumbo jumbo as for some sonic superiority thing that there’s the problem.

MBO

I understand that China HiFi is becoming more and more expensive, but!, will the China HiFi manufacturers also be able to guarantee the authenticity of built-in components???
I know problems from German companies that have their electronics manufactured in China, there are a lot of cheap or fake SMD components in use, it's quite difficult to filter out such components.
And quality of fakes is VERY bad!

gizmo90

The D2R seems to be just a fancy version of the D300 with a couple of audiophile parts in there and a newer xmos chip.

All to archive the same Sinad?
I'm thinking of getting one of these.

I wonder if it will sound identical to the D300?

No improvement for $600?

It all went to the case?

Just got d1se2 a few days ago and its not cutting the mustard for me. I compared it to my Rotel CD11 Tribute. It didn't sound better to me.

BigBeard

anyone listen to the VMV P2? How would you expect it to compare to the Topping A70 pro?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Haven't heard P2 but my biggest complain is lack of remote volume Control.... just a huge disappointment

Rotel

I was thinking about getting a Gustard A26, but I'll wait for this DAC. I like the sound of SMSL D300 (same ROHM chip) but D2R should be much better than D300. (~$1000)
I think its sound similar to the R2R DACs.

gizmo90

I just got the VMV D2R. I will just say its really nice. I'm hesitant to post how it sounds. I'm not sure its really appreciated here and I don't want to upset anyone. I will post it elsewhere soon.

Bryguy

I just got the VMV D2R. I will just say its really nice. I'm hesitant to post how it sounds. I'm not sure its really appreciated here and I don't want to upset anyone. I will post it elsewhere soon.
Link it here when you do?

KenLLL

I too would love to hear your thoughts on the D2R. As of today, there are zero reviews that I can find. I've super tempted to get one based alone on the positive reviews of the D300 and the fact it has nicer internals. Would you say it's an improvement over the D300?

ManniX

Forum Donor

I'd love too to ear your thoughts about it.
Just don't mind the toxic and rude people here, they are everywhere.
In case you posted it elsewhere, would be nice to share the link.

gizmo90

I too would love to hear your thoughts on the D2R. As of today, there are zero reviews that I can find. I've super tempted to get one based alone on the positive reviews of the D300 and the fact it has nicer internals. Would you say it's an improvement over the D300?
It is an improvement over the D300 IMO. It sounds really good. Excels with jazz and acoustic music.

It is warm side of neutral. Bass is deep, tight, and blooms beautifully. I actually had to move my speakers further from the wall. Mids and highs are natural and pleasant sounding. The notes have a decay to them that I didn't notice in my system before ie I can hear the notes trail all the way down. It also sounds like it has some balls behind the sound. Authoritative sounding comes to mind. I can hear space around each interments and place them in space better then I have before. It has a romantic sound while still being resolving.

The mids could be a touch sweeter but overall its excellent

KenLLL

It is an improvement over the D300 IMO. It sounds really good. Excels with jazz and acoustic music.

It is warm side of neutral. Bass is deep, tight, and blooms beautifully. I actually had to move my speakers further from the wall. Mids and highs are natural and pleasant sounding. The notes have a decay to them that I didn't notice in my system before ie I can hear the notes trail all the way down. It also sounds like it has some balls behind the sound. Authoritative sounding comes to mind. I can hear space around each interments and place them in space better then I have before. It has a romantic sound while still being resolving.

The mids could be a touch sweeter but overall its excellent
Very cool. Right now I'm running the original Topping D90, it sounds like the D2R is more in line with my tastes. I might as well take the plunge, Apos is having a sale for a week.

Rotel

I'm thinking of getting one of these.

I wonder if it will sound identical to the D300?

No improvement for $600?

It all went to the case?

Just got d1se2 a few days ago and its not cutting the mustard for me. I compared it to my Rotel CD11 Tribute. It didn't sound better to me.

I've VMV D1SE for 2 years. Is the VMV D2R much better than D1SE2? What is the main difference in sound?
I'd like to jump next level. (VMV D2R or Gustard A26)

Thanks!

Rotel

I've VMV D1SE for 2 years. Is the VMV D2R much better than D1SE2? What is the main difference in sound?
I'd like to jump next level. (VMV D2R or Gustard A26)

Thanks!

I watched this video:

and I ordered the VMV D2R.
:)

ManniX

Forum Donor
It is an improvement over the D300 IMO.

Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion!

I watched this video:

Thanks for sharing the video, he posted in the comments an update:

I would like to add some minor negative points.
・A high-resolution mark sticker (that yellow one) is included. It's not attached for some reason.
There is pop noise when playing sound sources with different sampling rates. It's not that bad, and it's a little better than other models I've used.
・The top plate seems to be prone to dirt and scratches.
・Since the remote control is probably infrared, the recognition range (angle) is not wide.

This is really the only negative I can think of!!

Wow, it seems SMSL is still unable to properly handle buffers and muting... neither handling something so basic as Infrared.
Or use proper high quality surface coatings. Ouch.

I guess it's and probably will be for a while the best if you want a ROHM DAC.
But IMO the 3x price difference against the D300 is not justified by just the better aesthetics, added weight, CK03 and supposedly better electronics inside.
I'd consider spending that much money only with 2 x ROHM DAC inside (and possibly not from SMSL).

Rotel

I watched this video:

and I ordered the VMV D2R.
:)
I got the VMV D2R today. I listened about 20 track. Its voice is still likely to change (burn in period).
First impression after SMSL VMV D1SE DAC:
- Sound of D1SE has some bright/sharp component. This is missing from D2R sound so its sound more natural.

- D1SE has stronger/deeper bass. I hope it will change at D2R DAC. Now the D1SE has better bass.

(I have been using the D1SE DAC for 2 years. I didn't change anything. Same streamer (Pi4+Volumio) and cables. I tried with the D2R factory settings).

Top Bottom