• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Verdant Audio Bambusa MG 1 Speaker Review

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've tested both of these speakers in the two way setup. SEAS tweeter was used (H1212), for each setup (L18 or U18) I used the emulator function of LSPCad that allows to switch from one and other setup instantanelly. Beside the L18, the U18 has always given a medium band "muffled" or "felted" even with flat response curve.

I humbly recommend this kind of experiment.
Interesting comparison and result which seems to also match my experience with polyprolynene midwoofers, would be interesting if you could measure the responses of both EQed to the same anechoic target at the listeners position without windowing (maybe even MMM) to see the influence of the different decay and radiation pattern on the frequency response there.

witwald

Forum Donor
It's always interesting to get different point of views from HIFI enthusiast based on technical facts.
And from my end, it's always interesting to see a variety of measurements from which to glean some useful technical points. Thanks for sharing your results.
For some people the SEAS L18 would be a poor choice because of these high Q resonances at height frequencies, and for other (like me :)) the SEAS U18 would be a poor choice because of the membrane fragmentations who appear in the medium band (for two ways setup I precise).
I'm not entirely convinced that the membrane vibration modes in the U18 that you refer to are going to be all that audible. One has to be very careful in drawing any such conclusions, as there are a lot of effects at play.
The membrane fragmentation or breakup of the U18 appears from about 800Hz, its also visible on its impedance curve.
View attachment 162708
I can see that bump in the impedance. However, it needs to be kept in mind that it is quite small in magnitude and relatively broad. That to me indicates a low-Q resonance of some kind, and that means that it will be quickly damped out. In fact, upon looking more closely, that bump in the impedance more or less corresponds to a small broad dip in the frequency response over the frequency range from 600Hz o 1000Hz.

In addition, although the finger has been pointed at the bump in the impedance in the U18 driver, I see no impedance bumps for the L18 driver in the region where those extreme peaks and dips are occurring in the 6kHz to 20kHz band. Those significant breakup modes appear to leave no trace of themselves on the impedance curve.

Keep in mind that the aluminum cone of the woofer can act as vibrating surface that is excited by soundwaves that impinge on it. Those high-frequency high-Q relatively undamped cone resonances will ring like a bell when excited by reflected high-frequency energy that was originally emanated by the tweeter in their frequency range, and which comes back to hit the woofer cone, no doubt adding "air" and "sparkle" to the music reproduction. Those resonances should be avoided at all costs in a driver destined for use in a loudspeaker system attempting to do well at high-fidelity sound reproduction. There are other, better options available.
I agree the overall response of the U18 looks friendly to use, but the waterfall shows that its membrane have a inferior behaviour especially in the medium band compared to the L18.

View attachment 162709
Although it is possible to be inclined to ascribe the slow decay in the CSD plot in the 1kHz region to that impedance bump, I'm not convinced that they are linked. If you also revisit the CSD plot for the L18, there is a very similar slow decay in the 1kHz region, which is somewhat masked by the extremely high amplitude high-frequency breakup modes of the aluminum cone, whose material unfortunately has a loss factor that is very, very low.

This brings me back to the point that I tried to make earlier, that the frequency response plot generally contains all the required information (for what should in fact be a relatively linear device), and it is also much easier to interpret as well.
I've tested both of these speakers in the two way setup. SEAS tweeter was used (H1212), for each setup (L18 or U18) I used the emulator function of LspCAD that allows to switch from one and other setup instantaneously. Beside the L18, the U18 has always given a medium band "muffled" or "felted" even with flat response curve.
That would have been an interesting experiment to take part in.

We are now getting into the subjective realm where one person's "muffled" and "felted" is another's "natural" and "non-fatiguing". In the end, those old and learned BBC engineers worked hard to remove resonances from loudspeaker driver diaphragms. They knew that they should not to be present in an ideal driver. It's a pity that the BBC's extensive body of fundamental research work appears to be easily discounted for some unknown reason.

Last edited:

alexman

And from my end, it's always interesting to see a variety of measurements from which to glean some useful technical points. Thanks for sharing your results.
:)
I'm not entirely convinced that the membrane vibration modes in the U18 that you refer to are going to be all that audible. One has to be very careful in drawing any such conclusions, as there are a lot of effects at play.
Yes we have to be careful with the link measurement/conclusion.
But as I'm convinced about what I'm "claim", I just try to share my humble experience with arguments.

I can see that bump in the impedance. However, it needs to be kept in mind that it is quite small in magnitude and relatively broad. That to me indicates a low-Q resonance of some kind, and that means that it will be quickly damped out. In fact, upon looking more closely, that bump in the impedance more or less corresponds to a small broad dip in the frequency response over the frequency range from 600Hz o 1000Hz.
There are a lot of interesting things to see with the impedance plot.
The little bump on the impedance plot, linked with the CSD (U18), indicates that the whole membrane can not longer follow the magnetic coil of the driver.
1635961345209.png

Little illustration:
1635948179369.png

These fragmentation/resonances create specific sound as a "signature" related to the materiel used for the membrane.
If I crumple a sheet of paper, I recognize its sound.
Same for a aluminum foil.

When playing a L18 without any XO, that sounds "crispy" roughly speaking like an aluminum foil we crumple.
But the difference L18/U18 (I'm considering to be in a two ways setting here) : we can manage to cut the L18 far under its membrane breakup, while we are obliged to let the U18 working in a frequency range where its membrane "crumples".

*About a driver like the L18, I've personally chosen to get a frequency cut under the breakup frequency divided by three in order to limit the excitation of the breakup by the H3.

In addition, although the finger has been pointed at the bump in the impedance in the U18 driver, I see no impedance bumps for the L18 driver in the region where those extreme peaks and dips are occurring in the 6kHz to 20kHz band. Those significant breakup modes appear to leave no trace of themselves on the impedance curve.
Difficult to see on the manufacturer plot you're right. Here is better.
1635949637708.png

Keep in mind that the aluminum cone of the woofer can act as vibrating surface that is excited by soundwaves that impinge on it. Those high-frequency high-Q relatively undamped cone resonances will ring like a bell when excited by reflected high-frequency energy that was originally emanated by the tweeter in their frequency range, and which comes back to hit the woofer cone, no doubt adding "air" and "sparkle" to the music reproduction. Those resonances should be avoided at all costs in a driver destined for use in a loudspeaker system attempting to do well at high-fidelity sound reproduction. There are other, better options available.
Overall I agree. But any speaker design have compromises.
The membrane breakup can be exited, by a tweeter (to a lesser extent), but above all by the intrinsically harmonic distortion created by the motor.
It's difficult to fully avoid the membrane breakup. But we can still get something clean:

1635951703993.png

*Not L18 here but L16

Although it is possible to be inclined to ascribe the slow decay in the CSD plot in the 1kHz region to that impedance bump, I'm not convinced that they are linked. If you also revisit the CSD plot for the L18, there is a very similar slow decay in the 1kHz region, which is somewhat masked by the extremely high amplitude high-frequency breakup modes of the aluminum cone, whose material unfortunately has a loss factor that is very, very low.
I should have add a 5dB scale for the L18 in order to compensate the high amplitude of the breakup.
But we still see that the behavior difference is very important between these two drivers.

Below new charts limited to 5kHz.
1635953829339.png

I know the driver I prefer to work with. ;)
This brings me back to the point that I tried to make earlier, that the frequency response plot generally contains all the required information (for what should in fact be a relatively linear device), and it is also much easier to interpret as well.
Frequency response is only the first spline (at 0ms) of the CSD.
CSD contains many more information than "a simple" frequency response plot.

We are now getting into the subjective realm where one person's "muffled" and "felted" is another's "natural" and "non-fatiguing". In the end, those old and learned BBC engineers worked hard to remove resonances from loudspeaker driver diaphragms. They knew that they should not to be present in an ideal driver.
For me, an ideal driver don't exists, only compromises as I said upper.
Knowing that, my point of view is that the over value of a designer is to take in considerations all parameters and measurements, interprets them without excluding a measurement if the interpretation is difficult or if the result does not respond to its expectation. The most difficult things is to success to make correlation between the measurements and the subjective realm.

It's a pity that the BBC's extensive body of fundamental research work appears to be easily discounted for some unknown reason.
I really have trouble finding a connection between this discussion and this sentence.

Anyway very interesting exchange, thank to have replied with argumentation.

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep in mind that the aluminum cone of the woofer can act as vibrating surface that is excited by soundwaves that impinge on it. Those high-frequency high-Q relatively undamped cone resonances will ring like a bell when excited by reflected high-frequency energy that was originally emanated by the tweeter in their frequency range, and which comes back to hit the woofer cone, no doubt adding "air" and "sparkle" to the music reproduction. Those resonances should be avoided at all costs in a driver destined for use in a loudspeaker system attempting to do well at high-fidelity sound reproduction.
This is one of those "audiophile" theories that would actually be very easy to prove if a possible excitation of the woofer diaphragm by the tweeter were to take place and reach relevant sound pressure levels.

The excitation of the woofer would have to show up in the CSD of the tweeter - the woofer is excited at its break-up resonance and then slowly decays.

On the fly, I only have the following example:
SB Acoustics SB17NAC35-4 metal cone woofer together with Seas 19TAFD-G tweeter in 170mm waveguide.

The SB17NAC35-4 has an extreme break-up frequency around 10kHz, as you can see here impressively (all measurements were performed on the loudspeaker):
1635961510925.png 1635961527752.png
The sonogram shows that the break-up resonance around 10kHz requires well over twenty oscillation periods to settle below -30dB.

Now let's have a look at the decay of the tweeter in the waveguide. If the theory is correct, there should be a delayed decay around 10-12kHz, caused by the excitation of the woofer break-up:
1635962283964.png 1635962208499.png
Very clean decay, with a few small resonances (coming from the tweeter). In the frequency range 10-12kHz no conspicuousness at all. Only at 14kHz you can see a small resonance, which is also visible in the frequency response.

As I said, the theory is very easy to verify (if true and relevant), maybe the proof is possible with a different combination of woofer and tweeter, I suppose @witwald can provide an example?

Last edited:

alexman

On the fly, I only have the following example:
SB Acoustics SB17NAC35-4 metal cone woofer together with Seas 19TAFD-G tweeter in 170mm waveguide.
SB17NAC35-4 is a good driver I've liked to work with. CSD is clean in its usable bandwidth.
But personally I prefer SEAS "undamped" metal drivers because the breakup is more concentrated and than, easier to "kill" with a LC network.

1635964065923.png

Last edited:

witwald

Forum Donor
It's a pity that the BBC's extensive body of fundamental research work appears to be easily discounted for some unknown reason.
I really have trouble finding a connection between this discussion and this sentence.
Maybe I can elaborate a bit. The BBC undertook research investigations into loudspeaker diaphragms and their associated break up modes, with a view to finding a driver that appeared more like a relatively smooth bandpass filter. I'm thinking of their innovation to use the Bextrene cone material, to which they applied doping compound to further control resonances. The BBC engineers clearly tried to stay away from designs that involved relatively uncontrolled breakup modes.

witwald

Forum Donor
This is one of those "audiophile" theories that would actually be very easy to prove if a possible excitation of the woofer diaphragm by the tweeter were to take place and reach relevant sound pressure levels.
I think that your measurements indicate that there is no real indication of any induced ringing, so I think you're probably right. So another "audiophile" theory is debunked.
The SB17NAC35-4 has an extreme break-up frequency around 10kHz, as you can see here impressively (all measurements were performed on the loudspeaker):
View attachment 163042 View attachment 163043
The sonogram shows that the break-up resonance around 10kHz requires well over twenty oscillation periods to settle below -30dB.
I like the sonogram display produced by ARTA. It's much easier to interpret than a waterfall plot. Post-processing the FFT data to display the results in periods is an interesting and useful transformation to use.
As I said, the theory is very easy to verify (if true and relevant), maybe the proof is possible with a different combination of woofer and tweeter, I suppose @witwald can provide an example?
Sorry, but I can't provide such an example.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that your measurements indicate that there is no real indication of any induced ringing, so I think you're probably right. So another "audiophile" theory is debunked.
There is still a theoretical chance that such an example exists. On the other hand, the sound radiated by the tweeter at 90° must be "energetic" enough to excite the woofer cone or surround at the break-up frequency (which consumes sound energy) and last long enough for resonance to build up.

I like the sonogram display produced by ARTA. It's much easier to interpret than a waterfall plot. Post-processing the FFT data to display the results in periods is an interesting and useful transformation to use
Agree with you.
It would be best if (in reviews) only a representation in oscillation periods would be used. Only this way a decay of 10ms@20Hz is immediately comparable with a decay of 1ms@10kHz.

witwald

Forum Donor
The little bump on the impedance plot, linked with the CSD (U18), indicates that the whole membrane can not longer follow the magnetic coil of the driver.
View attachment 163041
I like the extra resolution for this impedance measurement. It's interesting how little the phase is affected even though there's a quite distinct bump with double peaks in the magnitude response between 500Hz and 1kHz. Probably the phase scale should have been expanded as well?
Can you please supply the reference to the publication where the above illustration came from? I'm interested to see more of what it covered. Thanks.
These fragmentation/resonances create specific sound as a "signature" related to the materiel used for the membrane.
If I crumple a sheet of paper, I recognize its sound. Same for an aluminum foil.
I understand your line of reasoning. However, crumpling in this situation represents large displacements that involve significant material deformation. For the aluminum foil, I'd expect a lot of plastic deformation to be taking place. Crumpling appears to be not the same as vibrating a diaphragm within its linear operating range, where the deformations are (hopefully) purely elastic in nature. Although I suppose there can be some nonlinear large-displacement effects at higher drive levels.
When playing a L18 without any XO, that sounds "crispy" roughly speaking like an aluminum foil we crumple.
I'd expect that it's those pesky low-Q relatively undamped high-frequency resonances at play. Plus the relatively deep dip in the response before we get to that breakup region, further serving to accentuate their audibility. They will no doubt colour the sound reproduction quite a lot.
But the difference L18/U18 (I'm considering to be in a two ways setting here) : we can manage to cut the L18 far under its membrane breakup, while we are obliged to let the U18 working in a frequency range where its membrane "crumples".
Yes, the low-pass filter will work quite well in this situation, especially if a 3rd-order or 4th-order electrical network is used. However, those resonances are still excited, and will continue to ring well after the excitation signal is removed. Of course, as someone suggested elsewhere, a notch filter can be used to tame them quite a bit and reduce their severity. Or more simply, use a driver with better controlled high-frequency response, and take heed of the research that points to the fact that the cone material doesn't have any intrinsic sound. After all, it's just another elastic material, so how could it?
*About a driver like the L18, I've personally chosen to get a frequency cut under the breakup frequency divided by three in order to limit the excitation of the breakup by the H3.
That seems to be a good design choice in this instance. What order low-pass electrical filter did you use?
It's difficult to fully avoid the membrane breakup. But we can still get something clean:

View attachment 163002

*Not L18 here but L16
That driver seems to be very good in comparison with the other ones.
Below new charts limited to 5kHz.
View attachment 163014
Those results look very similar to each other now. Any differences are simply related to the differences in their frequency response. Each decay plot is in and of itself modified by the underlying frequency response, and so it's just another decay plot of a band-pass system, with the decay characteristics that are inherent to a band-pass system.
Frequency response is only the first spline (at 0ms) of the CSD.
CSD contains many more information than "a simple" frequency response plot.
Not really. It may look like it does, but the differences that are showing up are caused by the differences in the frequency response plot. It's also harder to interpret those sorts of details from a CSD plot versus a simpler frequency response plot.
The most difficult things is to success to make correlation between the measurements and the subjective realm.
Without a doubt. There are so many variables at play in coming up with a design. Spending time controlling, minimising, and/or working around undesirable resonances just seems to serve to take design time away from dealing with other factors.

alexman

Can you please supply the reference to the publication where the above illustration came from? I'm interested to see more of what it covered. Thanks.
I don't remember if I've make this picture myself or if I've found it somewhere.

I'd expect that it's those pesky low-Q relatively undamped high-frequency resonances at play. Plus the relatively deep dip in the response before we get to that breakup region, further serving to accentuate their audibility. They will no doubt colour the sound reproduction quite a lot.
To a less extend, it's the same phenomenon that happens with U18, but at lower frequency, with lower Q and with good damping comparing to the L18.
It's much less audible, but still here.

Yes, the low-pass filter will work quite well in this situation, especially if a 3rd-order or 4th-order electrical network is used. However, those resonances are still excited, and will continue to ring well after the excitation signal is removed. Of course, as someone suggested elsewhere, a notch filter can be used to tame them quite a bit and reduce their severity. Or more simply, use a driver with better controlled high-frequency response, and take heed of the research that points to the fact that the cone material doesn't have any intrinsic sound. After all, it's just another elastic material, so how could it?
I not agree, materials have their own sounds signatures.
Are you never tap a metal beam or a wood beam?

The CSD U18 vs L18 is a good example. (I precise again ; in a two ways setting)
L18 : we can manage a crossover that excludes the frequency range that makes the sound specific related to the mechanical characteristics of the membrane
U18 : we cannot

But of course, a driver like the U18 is well designed, the resonances are very well minimized with an excellent damping. This driver can be easily used up to 3kHz or over, "without to much" sound signature.

That driver seems to be very good in comparison with the other ones.
It's was an example of speaker CSD equipped with rigid and no-damped membrane.

Those results look very similar to each other now.
Really ? For a while I thought it could be an image posting error from me, but after checking, no.

Any differences are simply related to the differences in their frequency response. Each decay plot is in and of itself modified by the underlying frequency response, and so it's just another decay plot of a band-pass system, with the decay characteristics that are inherent to a band-pass system.

Not really. It may look like it does, but the differences that are showing up are caused by the differences in the frequency response plot. It's also harder to interpret those sorts of details from a CSD plot versus a simpler frequency response plot.

Without a doubt. There are so many variables at play in coming up with a design. Spending time controlling, minimising, and/or working around undesirable resonances just seems to serve to take design time away from dealing with other factors.
As I've said upper, all factors are to be taken into account.

Last edited:

alexman

Maybe I can elaborate a bit. The BBC undertook research investigations into loudspeaker diaphragms and their associated break up modes, with a view to finding a driver that appeared more like a relatively smooth bandpass filter. I'm thinking of their innovation to use the Bextrene cone material, to which they applied doping compound to further control resonances. The BBC engineers clearly tried to stay away from designs that involved relatively uncontrolled breakup modes.
For me uncontrolled means unpredictable, while it's much easier to modeling stiff and undamped membrane because the mechanical behavior is also much simple.

Here is a very interesting doctoral thesis about this topic (or close to), but sorry it's in French : https://pastel.archives-ouvertes.fr/pastel-00003052/document

Last edited:

witwald

Forum Donor
I not agree, materials have their own sounds signatures.
Are you never tap a metal beam or a wood beam?
I have. And that's exactly what predicts that aluminum material is not a particularly good choice for loudspeaker cones. Although it's not the material, per se, that has any magical sound signature properties. It's the combination of mechanical properties (i.e., stiffness, density, damping) that help to define the suitability of the material for use in loudspeaker diaphragms.

Although your beam tapping example is valid, unfortunately it is one that has a lot of variables that may not always be apparent during the listening assessment. Have you ever compared the elastic moduli of wood and metal (e.g., steel, aluminum and magnesium)? Or their relative mass densities? Or their isotropic or orthotropic properties? Or the amount of intrinsic damping present in each material?

For the same length and cross section, the metal beam is much stiffer and heavier than the wooden beam. Its modal resonances are likely to be much higher up in frequency than those for the wooden beam. And then, of course, the wooden beam is entirely likely to be more heavily damped, so any resonances will die away quite quickly with fewer oscillations. Those aren't part of the sound signature of the material, but of the dynamical system itself. And that's where aluminum cones form a less desirable dynamical system.
The CSD U18 vs L18 is a good example. (I precise again ; in a two ways setting)
L18 : we can manage a crossover that excludes the frequency range that makes the sound specific related to the mechanical characteristics of the membrane
U18 : we cannot
Those resonance in the aluminum cone will not be completely eliminated, even though they will be heavily attenuated by the necessary crossover filter characteristics. The cone will ring at those frequencies for quite a lengthy number of cycles of oscillation.
But of course, a driver like the U18 is well designed, the resonances are very well minimized with an excellent damping. This driver can be easily used up to 3kHz or over, "without to much" sound signature.
I'm not sure that the material has any sound signature. Tests have been conducted where the different drivers have had their responses digitally equalised so that they are all the same. Once that was done, all the different drivers sounded the same. If there are any sonic differences present during listening, then might not these more properly and accurately be ascribed to the frequency response and distortion characteristics of the respective drivers?
Really ? For a while I thought it could be an image posting error from me, but after checking, no.
I was referring to the fact that the CSD plots were similar to each other, as the frequency response curves associated with each of the drivers were nominally quite similar.

Consider this. Take two perfectly flat drivers, with second-order low-pass and high-pass roll-offs. One has a –3dB bandwidth of 100Hz to 3kHz, and the other 80Hz to 4kHz. Their CSD plots will probably look a bit different, but they are still essentially representing the inherent characteristics of a band-pass response function. There really is nothing to be gleaned from those differences in the CSD plots than what is described by the differences in the frequency response plots. The CSD plots are are not needed, being more or less superfluous. Once you've seen one CSD plot for a woofer, you've more or less seen them all. All the information that you need is contained in the frequency response plot, as long as the loudspeaker is being operated in its nominally linear region (I say nominally, because harmonic distortion is usually present).

alexman

I have. And that's exactly what predicts that aluminum material is not a particularly good choice for loudspeaker cones.
It's your opinion and I respect it.
Although it's not the material, per se, that has any magical sound signature properties. It's the combination of mechanical properties (i.e., stiffness, density, damping) that help to define the suitability of the material for use in loudspeaker diaphragms.
I agree.
I'm not sure that the material has any sound signature. Tests have been conducted where the different drivers have had their responses digitally equalised so that they are all the same. Once that was done, all the different drivers sounded the same. If there are any sonic differences present during listening, then might not these more properly and accurately be ascribed to the frequency response and distortion characteristics of the respective drivers?
Of course, yes.
From the time that the membrane cone stop moving as a perfect piston, that means deformations and then resonances and then a sound signature. It's why, for me, a stiff membrane is better because its bandwidth with perfect piston displacement is larger. Even if you're right when you say that a specific XO is necessary, and even if you're right when you say that the ringing cannot fully cancelled.

I was referring to the fact that the CSD plots were similar to each other, as the frequency response curves associated with each of the drivers were nominally quite similar.

Consider this. Take two perfectly flat drivers, with second-order low-pass and high-pass roll-offs. One has a –3dB bandwidth of 100Hz to 3kHz, and the other 80Hz to 4kHz. Their CSD plots will probably look a bit different, but they are still essentially representing the inherent characteristics of a band-pass response function. There really is nothing to be gleaned from those differences in the CSD plots than what is described by the differences in the frequency response plots. The CSD plots are are not needed, being more or less superfluous. Once you've seen one CSD plot for a woofer, you've more or less seen them all. All the information that you need is contained in the frequency response plot, as long as the loudspeaker is being operated in its nominally linear region (I say nominally, because harmonic distortion is usually present).
Let me propose you an experiment.

Take a full range driver.
First, what is a full range driver ? To be simple:
1 - short coil to have low inductance
2 - floppy membrane to avoid resonances with too much high Q
3 - low damping to keep energy and so spl when the membrane deforms

Point 2 + 3 will have as impact an "interesting" CSD plot.

Of course, resonances will be also visible on the response curve. FE127E to illustrate (you can see I make effort :))
1636292555165.png

Now go ahead for listening, that will certainly sounds specific (signature), ok.
Then, with an EQ correct every holes and bump on the frequency curve in order to get a "perfectly flat driver" as you said.
I'm sure, because I've made the experiment myself (it does not make me younger :eek:) that you'll still success to recognize the same* sound signature.
*Of course, the sound signature will be less audible with EQ. But even you've flatten the response curve, the multiples resonances are still here, still audible.

If you think the sound signature are coming from directivity or harmonic distortion you can listen near at low power to minimize their impacts.

The CSD plot shows resonances, resonances mean sound signature. So it's not superfluous.

Attachments

• 1636290434005.png
    1636290434005.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Top Bottom