• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CarlToft

I am looking to buy possibly a Xiaomi 12 Ultra when it launches. But i don't know which usb-c to aux dongle i should buy. I mostly use my Xenns (mangird) Tea and my YBF-ISS014, and i also mostly listen to flac files.
I didn't know what category to post this thread in.
Update: I have looked at the MEIZU HIFI PRO, the Hidizs S9 Pro and the S3 Pro. I can't find a link to buy the MEIZU

I live in Denmark so EU sites are welcome and my max budget is max $70

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
One thing I heard is that USB C DAC adapters, dongles sold within the EU are covered by EU legislation regarding the level of the output signal. This is so that people will not plug them in and be unprepared for the increased volume and .... I do not know ... risk hearing damage?

I know it sounds completely crazy. A conspiracy to ..? Seriously I do not know. Something I've heard. Does anyone know more who can confirm if this is true or not? If this is true then it will be a matter of ordering from countries outside the EU zone.

OP
C

CarlToft

One thing I heard is that USB C DAC adapters, dongles sold within the EU are covered by EU legislation regarding the level of the output signal. This is so that people will not plug them in and be unprepared for the increased volume and .... I do not know ... risk hearing damage?

I know it sounds completely crazy. A conspiracy to ..? Seriously I do not know. Something I've heard. Does anyone know more who can confirm if this is true or not? If this is true then it will be a matter of ordering from countries outside the EU zone.
I have no clue but I don't think so, EU doesn't have as many extreme regulations as the US has. But I could be wrong.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I have no clue but I don't think so, EU doesn't have as many extreme regulations as the US has. But I could be wrong.
It would be very strange if that were the case, EU and USB C DAC adapter / dongle "amplifier brake" that is.:)

Do you like apples? This I have seen many here at ASR either have or recommend:

I have one myself, but I tested it on an Android mobile phone. Then it gave too little signal strength. Probably good for apples though. :)

OP
C

CarlToft

It would be very strange if that were the case, EU and USB C DAC adapter / dongle "amplifier brake" that is.:)

I have one myself, but I tested it on an Android mobile phone. Then it gave too little signal strength. Probably good for apples though. :)
I don't know I have to look more into it later.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

With which headphone?

DanielT

Major Contributor
I don't know I have to look more into it later.
This one?

Hidizs S3 Pro portable USB-C DAC and headphone amplifier

Conclusions
The S3 Pro provides good objective performance. I wish it could produce more power but fortunately in subjectively testing, it seems to be there. Combined with that you get a cute package at average price for premium dongles. So while I hope for more when testing this class of device, at the end it won me over.

I am going to recommend the Hidizs S3 Pro as long as you do not have more demanding headphones than what I tested.

OP
C

CarlToft

With which headphone?
This one?

Hidizs S3 Pro portable USB-C DAC and headphone amplifier

Conclusions
The S3 Pro provides good objective performance. I wish it could produce more power but fortunately in subjectively testing, it seems to be there. Combined with that you get a cute package at average price for premium dongles. So while I hope for more when testing this class of device, at the end it won me over.

I am going to recommend the Hidizs S3 Pro as long as you do not have more demanding headphones than what I tested.

I have bought this on aliexpress HIDIZS Sonata II but I personally think that it makes the sound worse used it on a oneplus 6. I don't know if the S3 pro has better specs.
HIDIZS Sonata II

DanielT

Major Contributor
With which headphone?
Via the USB C output on a Sony Xperia mobile phone and a pad, Lenovo Yoga. So Android.Yes I know it's not meant to be used with Android, I can guess, but I tested. It costs almost nothing.:)

No, it was with the Apple adapter rather lousy signal strength. I did not think it was enough at all, with my Android.. Apart from the signal strength, the Apple adapters seem to have extremely good performance for that price.:)

The Apple adapter was bought within the EU, in Sweden.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Partly via the USB C output on a Sony Xperia mobile phone and a pad, Lenovo Yoga. So Android.

No, it was with the Apple adapter rather lousy signal strength. I did not think it was enough at all, with my Android.. Apart from the signal strength, the Apple adapters seem to have extremely good performance for that price.:)

The Apple adapter was bought within the EU, in Sweden.

Sry, with which headhone?

Heaphones differ massive in impedance and efficience. So saying it was not enough without teliing the headphone is uselles.For this adapters you use best low impedance, high efficient iems,

OP
C

CarlToft

Interesting, what do you mean by worse? :)
The sound was very unclear sounded like what you hear if you listen to youtube with bad wifi. Thats the best way i can describe it.
I don't use youtube for music just a refferance.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I use this
with this eqed to harman curve.

And this goes loud.
I mean far abough you could tollerate with ear health in mind.

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi, i bought recently the Creative sxfi amp, that was reviewed here. And if i remember well you can chose in the app if you want the volume limit or not (can confirm later if you are interested).

Additionally it has built in EQ, physical buttons immediate customer support, and they sell it in their "paneuropean" online shop for 69 euros bundled with an IEM... and i hope very soon they start paying me for the promotion

DanielT

Major Contributor
Sry, with which headhone?

Heaphones differ massive in impedance and efficience. So saying it was not enough without teliing the headphone is uselles.For this adapters you use best low impedance, high efficient iems,
Sorry CarlToft for the OT. I know it's your thread. Tomtoo and I (if he wants to) can sort it out somewhere else.: ) so I'm just mentioning this:

You are absolutely right tomtoo BUT even so I tested with an old receiver, Yamaha R 300.

Power output: 30 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

From mobile / pad via Apple dongle into Yamaha and then I had to turn up the volume really on Yamahan, compared to if I did not use the adapter. Directly out 3.5 headphones mobile/ pad via RCA in Yamaha. Almost maximum volume with Apple adapter was needed go to get normal listening volume. It thus seemed to lower the signal strength quite significantly compared to 3.5 headphone jacks out of the mobile / pad directly into the Yamaha receiver.I may have done something wrong with my connections, but I do not think so ... maybe I did something wrong hm.

My friend who has an iPad got it. He's happy with it. It's probably like I said, for that price an incredible performance in the DAC part of it.:)

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Sorry CarlToft for the OT. I know it's your thread. Tomtoo and I (if he wants to) can sort it out somewhere else.: ) so I'm just mentioning this:

You are absolutely right tomtoo BUT even so I tested with an old receiver, Yamaha R 300.

From mobile / pad via Apple dongle into Yamaha and then I had to turn up the volume really on Yamahan, compared to if I did not use the adapter. Directly out 3.5 headphones mobile/ pad via RCA in Yamaha. Almost maximum volume with Apple adapter was needed go to get normal listening volume. It thus seemed to lower the signal strength quite significantly compared to 3.5 headphone jacks out of the mobile / pad directly into the Yamaha receiver.I may have done something wrong with my connections, but I do not think so ... maybe I did something wrong hm.

My friend who has an iPad got it. He's happy with it. It's probably like I said, for that price an incredible performance in the DAC part of it.:)
Thats strange. Needs deeper analyses.

The manual tells 120mv line sensitivity. That voltage makes the apple dongle easy. Very strange.

Last edited:
OP
C

CarlToft

Is okay i btw updated som info on the thread

DanielT

Major Contributor
Is okay i btw updated som info on the thread

Maybe it was not so strange. This is what Amir writes about the Apple adapter

Note that my testing is all on Windows. I attempted to test on my Samsung S8+ and got odd results. Using both Google dongles, all they did was route the not so good sound of the internal DAC through the dongle (???). With Apple dongle I got music but level was very low. So if you plan to use the Apple dongle on an Android phone, you should do some compatibility testing.

Found this information on another forum regarding Apple Dongel, another in Sweden they tested:

Radelius: I ALSO KNOW that apple dongle against Samsung does not work. Very low volume!

Solveit:

Only Apple product I own and US version undamped.
Unfortunately, the EU version is limited in volume.

20211108_134704 (2).jpg

Edit:
My friend who got the Apple Dongel and uses it with different apples, I think he also uses a small pre amp together with it. In any case regarding the Apple adapter / dongle together with apples, those with experience of that combo may clarify if you or someone else is wondering.:)

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
This sounds good. Amir:

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C phone dongle DAC and headphone amplifier.
The Hifi Pro costs US $ 45.

Conclusions
I must confess that I am not a fan of testing these dongles because they mostly, well, suck. :) Not so with MEIZU Hifi Pro. This is a level of performance that you do not have to apologize for. If I ever get stuck with a phone or tablet that does not have a headphone jack, this dongle would be my choice.

Needless to say, I am happy to recommend the MEIZU Hifi Pro.

It seems nice. I'm ordering it, I thought. Sold out but I checked further and found one I thoughte but not the Pro version. I was close to making that mistake, ordering the version that was not pro. Tip check carefully what it says before ordering. Maybe it's just me who reads carelessly and was too eager to order, but still.:)

OP
C

CarlToft

This sounds good. Amir:

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C phone dongle DAC and headphone amplifier.
The Hifi Pro costs US $ 45.

Conclusions
I must confess that I am not a fan of testing these dongles because they mostly, well, suck. :) Not so with MEIZU Hifi Pro. This is a level of performance that you do not have to apologize for. If I ever get stuck with a phone or tablet that does not have a headphone jack, this dongle would be my choice.

Needless to say, I am happy to recommend the MEIZU Hifi Pro.

It seems nice. I'm ordering it, I thought. Sold out but I checked further and found one I thoughte but not the Pro version. I was close to making that mistake, ordering the version that was not pro. Tip check carefully what it says before ordering. Maybe it's just me who reads carelessly and was too eager to order, but still.:)
Can you find a euorpean site? I looket but couldnt

Top Bottom