• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

Alexium

I'm sure there are better headphones out there than the little $50 Zeros, the question is which ones, and are they a sufficient improvement for their price.

Reactions: GPJ

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure there are better headphones out there than the little $50 Zeros, the question is which ones, and are they a sufficient improvement for their price.
Well there are sure as hell ones that are easier to wear.

I guess to each their own as to whether they perceive a different pair (more expensive or even cheaper) as sounding better. I suspect a lot of that has to do with finer aspects of the tuning and extension at either end of the spectrum more than "technicalities" or whatever the review and fan sites say.

markanini

Major Contributor
This question is like a honey pot for some members that like to quote reply with graphs.

Alexium

I've used decent equipment with HD800 - EMU 0404 USB, O2 headphone amp. I've tried EQing, they definitely do need EQ, but I couldn't nail the right curve.
These were the O. G. HD800, not 800S. There are also mods that bring HD800 closer to 800S, I didn't do them.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have not ever listened to music with HD800, from what I have read, it seems to be that the consensus is that they need EQ to achieve their potential, apparently they also need a decent amplifier, they cost a lot of money.
That the Truthear x Crinacle Zero, without EQ, merely connected to a apple dongle, for a fraction of the HB800 price, can produce a level of sonic quality that some even consider superior to the HD800 is the story here.
Not that one prefer one over the other, which is totally understandable, we all have our preferences, they only apply to us.

The Truthear x Crinacle Zero measurement clearly show the level of performance, the price is low enough that most can afford them, adding to that @amirm recommendation after listening to them, it is not surprising that they will give most earphones out there a run for their money. What any of us end up ultimately preferring when listening to your favorite music or sound, as only relevance to ourselves.
For the record, my preference is the Truthear x Crinacle Zero. :D

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not ever listened to music with HD800, from what I have read, it seems to be that the consensus is that they need EQ to achieve their potential, apparently they also need a decent amplifier, they cost a lot of money.

If by “decent” you mean a $100 Quedlix, then sure.

That the Truthear x Crinacle Zero, without EQ, merely connected to a apple dongle, for a fraction of the H800 price, can produce a level of sonic quality that some even consider superior to the H800 is the story here.

Preference is preference. I think the preference stated above is likely an outlier, assuming use of thoughtful EQ based on good measurements (e.g. Oratory) on HD800. But it’s kind of a dumb comparison. One comfortably fits over the head, the other has a large-diameter tube jammed into the ears.

Alexium

Generally I find IEMs much more comfortable than over-head phones (I used to use both types regularly, except for the last year - since getting the Zero). The only downside is that they tend to move out of the ear slightly, breaking the seal, but I don't mind adjusting them every 10 minutes or so.
I don't mind heavy over the head headphones either. But you can never forget you even have them on like you can with IEMs. Either way, if it sounds great I can excuse an uncomfortable fit.

raif71

Major Contributor
I have a used senns hd800 but alas not using it a lot. Enjoyed listening to hd6xx series (not really the 660s) and Sundara

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did I dream it or did I see someone posting oratory measurements of the zero and red on here recently? Can't find. Think was from a twitter post of his.

Flippo63

I've had the Blue Zero now for a couple of Months now, good sound but nozzle size starts to really hurt after about 30 min. Won't be using anymore.

AdrianusG

This is a review, listening tests and measurements of the Truthear Crinacle Zero IEM review. It was sent to me by @crinacle as he has been a consultant on the project. It costs US $50.
View attachment 230789

I like that it has a bit of "bling" but not too much. The cord is just the right length for me (many IEMs are too short for my use). It is super flexible with very little microphonics. You get two sets of silicone pads in three different sizes which suites me fine. I wear the largest one and it stays nicely put.

The claim to fame of this IEM is that it complies with the Harman target. Let's see if that is the case.

EDIT: These are the included tips and the ones used for measurement and listening tests:
View attachment 231027

Truthear Crinnacle Zero IEM Measurements
Let's start with our frequency response measurement:
View attachment 230790

I must say I was not prepared for such a tight fit to our target! Other than a hair droop at 20 Hz and a bit deviation here and there, the response hugs our target a wet towel! Very nice. This renders our difference frequency response kind of useless:
View attachment 230791

Distortion is good enough at lower levels but gets a bit much at maximum SPL:
View attachment 230792
View attachment 230793

Group delay is not revealing for IEMs and such is the case here:
View attachment 230794

Impedance shows evidence of some tuning in bass frequencies:

View attachment 230795

The low impedance means many amps and sources can drive it but it is very low. Sensitive is on the low side as well for an IEM:
View attachment 230796

Truthear Crinnacle Zero IEM Listening Tests
As usual I start with my female vocals. My first reference track had excellent warmth courtesy of proper low frequency response. This continued from track to track with tonality that was just delightful. It not only sounds "right" but also enjoyable. The sound you get is like the best speaker in best room with no room modes. Of course there is no tactile feedback so deep bass doesn't sound the same but you get the picture.

I cranked up the volume on it and it kind of gets loud but I thought the bass started to gradually get distorted. Not a practical problem as you are not going to want to listen at those unsafe volumes.

I am sitting here typing this review and listening to it and marveling how nice every track sounds!

Conclusions
What on earth are you doing reading the rest of this review? Go and buy one of these! I don't care if you don't listen to IEMs normally. You want this IEM so you know what correct tonality is, when you listen with other transducers such as headphones and speakers. Think of it as the tuning fork that a musician uses! This IEM needs to be in your arsenal.

For those of you who use IEMs as I do in summer months (headphones wear too hot), you are in for a treat for peanuts out of your pocket. The science works. Kudos to @crinacle for advocating this execution. We are indebted to you for your contribution here.

I am happy to strongly recommend the Truthear Crinnacle Zero IEM. It brings that incredible harmony of technical excellence and superbly low purchase price.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Hi Amirm,

I don't know if it has already been answered here, but which kind of plugs or cables are provided with this IEM (and also the Zero model)?
Is it balanced or unbalanced, or can you you just add an after-marked brand cable if you want to go balanced?
for my phone i would need a 3.5 mm plug, for my DAP however i can apply 3.5 or 2.5 mm balanced.

Thanks for answer in advance.

Ad

staticV3

Master Contributor
I don't know if it has already been answered here, but which kind of plugs or cables are provided with this IEM (and also the Zero model)?
Both Zero versions come with a 3.5mm cable. There's a list of all included accessories on Truthear's website: https://truthear.com/

Is it balanced or unbalanced, or can you you just add an after-marked brand cable if you want to go balanced?
The Zero/Zero Red uses a standard 2pin connection at the IEM housing. You can buy aftermarket cables at many different places.

Last edited:
Top Bottom