• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Monarch MKII, Thieaudio Clairvoyance, Moondrop S8
or maybe wait for this secret project to be revealed/released:
View attachment 231709
Also Akg 5005, Moondrop Variations (much more than the S8), Symphinium Helios, Softears RS10, Elysian Diva and the two TWSs Akg N400 and Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not Harman tuning:
View attachment 231864
It's below target by 3-4 dB over a broadband range (more audible than narrowband) from 1 to ~6 kHz (even more than the Truthear Zero's excess there), and around where our ears are most sensitive as shown by the equal loudness contours.
Zex Pro are supposedly tuned to the IEF in house curve with a 6db bass boost.

Garrincha

A 50 € IEM to end most headphones? Wow. Now we just need this for speakers.

My thick cable sony IEM broke a few days ago. So yup, I just ordered these. 50 € in Germany and prime shipping :)
For sure not to end most headphones, just to get the FR right (besides the region < 50Hz).

GaryH

Major Contributor
I think what is more interesting is if you want to get the idea of the Harman curve into the public space and away form the usual cognoscenti this might be a great way of doing it and establishing a standard a "norm" with a brand name so that it becomes something less abstract. I remember visiting Cebit in Hannover the most prestigious Computer and Technology show in Europe way back when and visiting small stands that were developing products around a thing called "Bluetooth", who knew?

Looking at pictures of the packaging of the IEM's they have a FR Graph as part of the packaging materials, that's quite something. Does anybody know if they mention "Harman Curve" in the blurb or in the user manuals?

They will be keeping a close eye on the Amazon reviews and how long before HP companies will be mentioning Harman Curve tuned comparable or offering it as an EQ preset?
Doubt it. Most companies won't want to officially have in writing they've (in Truthear's case attempted, but ultimately failed to) copy a competitor-developed target. Harman International is its own company, producing headphones under the branding of AKG, JBL, Harman Kardon, Samsung and Mark Levinson, many of which have been following the Harman target for years, so Truthear are far from pioneering anything here - Harman itself is already well on its way to establishing their target as the norm.

Digital Mastering System

I am with you on this, find it hard to get any Iems to stay firmly put and with a great seal. Other don't have issues. weird thing for me it's only the right ear the problem. absolutely don't have any fit issues with the left. Tried many tips and yes tried different tips on left and right. One day maybe I'll find the perfect tip for me but so far it's an issue. I still use Iems but keep refitting, every few minutes and it does get on my nerves and is detrimental to my enjoyment of music in the end.
I bought them. I tried all the tips and none worked (both ears). I guess I need a custom molded fit. Sent them back. Damn.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would probably give these a whirl, but I'm glad I waited. The comments about needing a headphone amp are a dealbreaker for me. While I have a Topping EX5 at home, the times I use IEMs are at work with my smartphone, not at home at my desk.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Also Akg 5005, Moondrop Variations (much more than the S8), Symphinium Helios, Softears RS10, Elysian Diva and the two TWSs Akg N400 and Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro
Those follow the Harman target. The person that I replied to in the post that you quoted asked about IEMs that follow my target (IEF plus bass).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For those wanting a higher end IEM that also follows somewhat closely the Harman curve, Moondrop Variations is very highly recommend by several reviewers.

graph (2).png

doc2c

I would probably give these a whirl, but I'm glad I waited. The comments about needing a headphone amp are a dealbreaker for me. While I have a Topping EX5 at home, the times I use IEMs are at work with my smartphone, not at home at my desk.
I'm using it with the Hidizs s9 and it sounds fantastic. Tried it with the Razor USB c dongle. Sounds great with that too. I think any half decent USB c dongle could drive these. You dont need a desktop amp

USER

Forum Donor
For those wanting a higher end IEM that also follows somewhat closely the Harman curve, Moondrop Variations is very highly recommend by several reviewers.

View attachment 231877
Not sure if it looks appealing to me. The bass on the Zero's is as high as I would want it (though mine are boosted to Harman below 40Hz) and that wide dip between 3-8kHz looks no bueno. It should sound quite different, no? I don't find the Zeros to be shouty, but could this accentuate the human voice that way?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the Variations are probably darker sounding and extra subbass oomph.

Garrincha

Those follow the Harman target. The person that I replied to in the post that you quoted asked about IEMs that follow my target (IEF plus bass).
Sorry, but the Monarch MkII, which you mentioned as first, clearly follows the Harman target, as does the Project Red, which is clearly a try on Harman with even getting the subbass correctly, so your answer is a bit confused.

Last edited:

Fregly

View attachment 231877
Amir's measurement shows more treble bumps above target vs Crin's. I hope anyone who gets the Zero and has the Variations will compare these. Seems like the Truthears have the nicer graph overall.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
I got them. Only the squishy black earpieces (barely) fit, but aside from that they seem to be very good -- and not really needing EQ is a big plus.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
For $50, what the hell. Ordered because of that and idle curiosity, mainly to get a real clear taste of close adherence to Harman target (and whether it floats my boat or not). I just wonder about the uncommonly low impedance and whether that would present an issue with my JDS Atom or my "$9 phone dongle" as Amir always refers to it.

If these hold their own with my $400 Periodic Be's, I'll really have some soul-searching to do...

nothingman

For the people who keep saying the Zero does not follow Harman and that it’s got too much energy 2-5khz… for under $100, is there an obviously better option that delivers everything else but fixes that problem? What is your alternative?

I keep googling names being dropped here, like Moondrop Variations, ThieAudio Monarch Mk2, Softears RS10, etc… these are all at least $500, but many are $1000+. Let’s compare apples to apples here in the budget category.

Top Bottom