• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Received mine this morning. Sound quality is superb, particularly the impact of kick drums, and the precision offered for objects panning between channels. These will likely be my new daily drivers for competitive gaming and running. Superior to a pair of Philips SHP9500 EQ'ed to the Harman target.

The build quality of the IEM's and connectors seems excellent, only concern is the lack of strain relief where the cable splits.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Was this measured somewhere?
I think someone said it was stated on the manufacturer website that the narrow internal bore tips bring more bass (and were the ones measured here on ASR). On Schenzhen Audio they don't mention the effect of the tips, and I couldn't find a website for the manufacturer. And that idea is substantiated by the eartip "trend" information that AdamG247 linked here:

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
I see there are a bunch of different samples with EQ values on Crinacle's AutoEQ page now - Crinacle Results

Mostly very similar but all seem to indicate a few places where EQ will be required.

So because they were cheap I also bought the Moondrop Chu (which actually arrived first) - it seems even closer to the ideal curve (except for the high end):

Last edited:

anphex

Forum Donor
Small info about the prime shipping Germany.
In this case it just means it's free shipping but still comes from China seemingly. It will arrive at 28th of september now.

Pernas

All this sounds promising and wonder if these would help med "get rid of" the q-JAYS v2.0 which still is my daily driver apart from their lack of bass...? (Even with the Comply tips)

GaryH

Major Contributor
I see there are a bunch of different samples with EQ values on Crinacle's AutoEQ page now - https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/crinacle/README.md

Mostly very similar but all seem to indicate a few places where EQ will be required.
It would be best to average all of the units' frequency responses then EQ to that.

So because they were cheap I also bought the Moondrop Chu (which actually arrived first) - it seems even closer to the ideal curve (except for the high end):
Note AutoEQ does not use the actual Harman target by default - its target is ~3 dB short in the bass for IEMs. Also note Oratory also measured the Chu, and found it to have around 4 dB more bass then Crinacle's measurement, which suggests it has high unit variance.

Last edited:

Universal Cereal Bus

Anime is intended for adults.
In the west, anime seems to be mostly consumed by young adults. By definition, however, the most popular anime and manga (e.g., those localized in the west) are originally targeted to teenage boys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shōnen_manga. Some possible explanations for this discrepancy, off the top of my head: 1) anime is more expensive/specialty in the west and therefore out of the reach of teenage boys; 2) more competition from stuff like comic books and superhero movies; 3) young adults in the west are still pretty much kids.

Also, ordered, natch.

DavidMcRoy

Mine arrived Tuesday. They're very clean and have a ton of bass, but not to the point that it's annoying since it's tight and not at all boomy. Very pleasant. They also, however have a distinct upper midrange/lower treble peakiness that imparts a nasal quality to voices. Try saying the word "and" in the most nasal way you can, and that's the distinct coloration of the pair that I received. I'm sure I could EQ the problem away, but if you're streaming on an iPhone (as opposed to listening to files) I'm not sure exactly how that would be possible. They're worth 50 bucks though, I guess, and the funky coloration aside at least I don't think I'm missing any of the clarity of my pricier Etymotic IEMs, so they're a good IEM for rough and ready use.

I'm posting the curve on the box because that's pretty much how they sound subjectively to me. WYSIWYG, and I gave the a "fine" in the poll.

Attachments

• 1FA122D3-E3AE-4874-8757-13EFF4F071BA.jpeg
    1FA122D3-E3AE-4874-8757-13EFF4F071BA.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Mine arrived Tuesday. They're very clean and have a ton of bass, but not to the point that it's annoying since it's tight and not at all boomy. Very pleasant. They also, however have a distinct upper midrange/lower treble peakiness that imparts a nasal quality to voices. Try saying the word "and" in the most nasal way you can, and that's the distinct coloration of the pair that I received. I'm sure I could EQ the problem away, but if you're streaming on an iPhone (as opposed to listening to files) I'm not sure exactly how that would be possible. They're worth 50 bucks though, I guess, and the funky coloration aside at least I don't think I'm missing any of the clarity of my pricier Etymotic IEMs, so they're a good IEM for rough and ready use.

I'm posting the curve on the box because that's pretty much how they sound subjectively to me. WYSIWYG.
Well if you streaming using PlexAmp on an iPhone you can apply some basic 10band EQ settings - I think unfortunately the Apple Music App has only predefined EQ - not sure about other streaming apps

GaryH

Major Contributor
They also, however have a distinct upper midrange/lower treble peakiness that imparts a nasal quality to voices.
That'll likely be the excess (black curve) above target (thick blue curve) between 1 and 3 kHz. All measured units have shown that but some seem worse than others:
Truthear%20Zero%20(sample%208).png

Last edited:

AndreaT

Well if you streaming using PlexAmp on an iPhone you can apply some basic 10band EQ settings - I think unfortunately the Apple Music App has only predefined EQ - not sure about other streaming apps
I wonder with a 10 ohm impedance how a source like iPhone, I believe unable to deliver high currents, drives the TCZ.

RHO

Major Contributor
I wonder with a 10 ohm impedance how a source like iPhone, I believe unable to deliver high currents, drives the TCZ.
Impedance is higher in the lower frequencies. That's where you need the most current. So I think in most cases you will be fine.

foxxx0

Forum Donor
Small info about the prime shipping Germany.
In this case it just means it's free shipping but still comes from China seemingly. It will arrive at 28th of september now.
That's still way better than my order, which is already on its way for a couple of days.
ETA: November 8th - 14th :(

Webninja

Forum Donor
Got mine, and I have no reference for IEM, but using the Apple dongle, streaming from Apple Music on the iPhone they were better than expected. What I was impressed with is the quality of packaging for the $. Overall money well spent, and my daughter already snagged these, so I guess I'll have to get the Project Red ones when they come out ;)

Last edited:

noel_fs

in this case i dont trust the unit reviewed, i would need it to be a random unit bought retail

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
in this case i dont trust the unit reviewed, i would need it to be a random unit bought retail
Then by all means go buy one retail and drop ship it to Amir. That’s how this works here.

noel_fs

Then by all means go buy one retail and drop ship it to Amir. That’s how this works here.
tbh if i was from USA i would probably do it

anyway, i went on crinacles site and he shows 10 samples so im inclined to believe now.

i guess we finally got a proper mh1c replacement

Somafunk

Major Contributor

Thats amusing, it’s a £50 iem ffsake, not some essential bit of medical equipment. Do you apply that reasoning to everything else you own?.

Top Bottom