• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is where I (and Sean) disagree with you; they have the same requirements. Look at the context of Sean's tweets above. They're in reply to frequency response plots comparing different headphones to each other and the Harman target, precisely in order to 'optically interpret their tonal character'. And due to the variable nature of the measurements (e.g. leakage effects) and bass shelves of headphones as Sean notes, the normalization frequency should not be below 500 Hz if you want the most accurate estimation of perceived tonal differences.

I suggest you argue your case for a change in the standard with the IEC. Until (if) it changes, the current standard of 500 Hz should be used for consistency with professional scientific data and so as not to confuse those new to seeing and interpreting headphone measurements by having everyone using their own non-standard normalization colored by personal bias and coming to different conclusions on the tonal character a measurement represents.
I can visualise a "seesaw" effect when comparing between different headphones aligned at 500Hz - meaning I suppose it would make the average linear tilt of a headphone more apparent in it's comparisons. When I EQ a headphone I generally just line it up with whichever portion matches the curve the best, but for tonal comparison between headphones then there is a logic to aligning somewhere near the middle of the seesaw.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is where I (and Sean) disagree with you; they have the same requirements. Look at the context of Sean's tweets above. They're in reply to frequency response plots comparing different headphones to each other and the Harman target, precisely in order to 'optically interpret their tonal character'. And due to the variable nature of the measurements (e.g. leakage effects) and bass shelves of headphones as Sean notes, the normalization frequency should not be below 500 Hz if you want the most accurate estimation of perceived tonal differences.
Again, ideally the anchor point (as even Olive himself points out) for tonal balances is the fundamental tone range, the 500 Hz is just a compromise due to the reasons he stated, even worse one of them being the tuning of some headphones. Simplistic thinking prefers binary black and white "truths" but science and engineering don't work like that, only 280 characters limited "Twitter style truths".

Adamant11746

Tried your EQ vs EQ to Variations & EQ to Monarch Mk2 and here's what I have found: I prefer one of them depending on listening volume level. The quieter I listen the more LF/HF I want. And that seems quite obvious considering loudness curves and this graphs:View attachment 243682
Thanks for doing this experiment. That explains why I like the stock Zero so much, as I listen at pretty low volumes compared to other people I know.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The industry standard is to match frequency responses at 500 Hz. Then you'll see that the Variations has the same elevation above target from ~1 to 2 kHz that the Truthear Zero suffers from which gives it its 'shouty' character, whereas the MH755 isn't elevated above target here so it doesn't.
I think "shouty" comes from 4-6 kHz, which I heard (especially when developing EQ) and Crinacle has his graph labeled as such as well. But we could have different definitions of it.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You think? I used an online tone generator and dragged the frequency slider around back and forth in the 18 Hz to 40 Hz region and listened to how it sounds - where the rolloff starts and how much of it there is. I determined that rolloff starts at 29-30 Hz, and arrived at a +8.4 dB low shelf filter at 28 Hz and 18 dB/oct.
I should probably add a sub-sonic filter, though, or change back from shelf to a regular peak.
As Gary has noted, it's likely that my bass EQ was influenced by the output impedance of my Pixel 4a 5G. On the PC I have to use an additional +1.5 to both of the low frequency filters to get close to what I hear with the smartphone.

I would be careful with EQ below about 40 Hz, though. Flat on down to zero is fine. Much of that, when intended to be there, is boosted in actual content, so we don't need our sub bass to skyrocket to match equal loudness. 6 dB at 20z above the level at 100-150 Hz is usually enough in my experience.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for doing this experiment. That explains why I like the stock Zero so much, as I listen at pretty low volumes compared to other people I know.
I think it's worthwhile to consider the levels we listen at because indeed, a lower level will need more of a curve on both ends. With that said, I listen at moderate to lower levels. I would estimate, based on how my main system sounds, that I am between 60-80 dB. I doubt I'm higher than that but IEM loudness can be deceptive.

If you added +1.5 to my bass region for a neutral device like a Topping or SMSL, you're very very close to neutral for these levels for someone with sensitive hearing. The amount of rise needed in the upper mid-range is then probably variable by age.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Again, ideally
Except real life isn't a theoretical idealisation in which there's no leakage variability and all headphones/IEMs have the same bass shelves. It would of course be simplistic thinking to assume and base normalisation frequency on such an idealisation without taking into account these factors. Which is precisely part of the reason why Sean moved the anchor point up to 500 Hz for headphones, as he stated and further explained with some extra characters to the original 280 in his follow-up tweet. I'd suggest starting a new thread if you want to continue arguing that Sean Olive, his colleagues and the IEC are all wrong in using a normalisation frequency of 500 Hz to best depict tonal differences.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221116-155438.png
    Screenshot_20221116-155438.png
    227.1 KB · Views: 107

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think "shouty" comes from 4-6 kHz, which I heard (especially when developing EQ) and Crinacle has his graph labeled as such as well. But we could have different definitions of it.
Interesting how this term is used so widely in audio these days, without definition. My initial though on when I read this is that it would be more around the 1-2k area. A quick rough search had some saying 1-2k, 2-4k, and even 4-8k (I think that last one is way too high—really hard to get anything resembling a shout out of 6-8k! Are they thinking "shrill"?).

"Shout" is a vocal property, so I'll start there. I realize "shouty" might be defined more a property strong harmonics as opposed to the fundamental, but it might help to relate the fundamental to the piano, and then consider the first few harmonics as integer multiples of that frequency. Sting's "Rock-san" is 440 Hz, so the next harmonics are 880, 1320, 1760, 2160... Now, I think that note, yelled, is more screech than shout, but I'm start high on purpose. A high shout for me is closer to 300 Hz (600, 900, 1200, 1500, 1800...), so that 1-2k is not looking bad to me—for my idea of "shouty", at least. That would translate into a loud and wide-open-mouthed shout that boosts some of those mid-range harmonics, beyond what you'd get with a normal voice.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that this is such a subjective term. On the one hand, I would say that from my experience mixing vocals, up near 6k is where I might want to boost for articulation, and there doesn't seem to be much oomph there. On the other, if it's broad enough and strong enough boost 4-6k, I can understand why you might think of it as shouty—it would be like someone who is exceptionally close to your ear, and loud.

Obviously, stating frequency ranges is less ambiguous, but that's not such an easy call for people who don't spend a lot of time with audio signals and filters. :p

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Except real life isn't a theoretical idealisation in which there's no leakage variability and all headphones/IEMs have the same bass shelves.
So with this "logic" Harman should have also moved their anchor point for loudspeakers if more manufacturers had a similar upper bass shelving? Also what about headphones that have a bump or dip at 500 Hz? You realise it is just one choice which has also several disadvantages and there is not a unique optimal solution like also Oratory, who you like to quote, writes:

I'd suggest starting a new thread if you want to continue arguing that Sean Olive, his colleagues and the IEC are all wrong in using a normalisation frequency of 500 Hz to best depict tonal differences.
Sean didn't even know the correct frequency and initially repeatedly wrote 800 Hz, so much about the choice being "his". Also in a quick search for IEC standards I didn't find a paragraph which says that for comparative plots only 500 Hz anchor should be used and a reasoning behind it, maybe you can shed some light there by posting it here?

GaryH

Major Contributor
So with this "logic" Harman should have also moved their anchor point for loudspeakers if more manufacturers had a similar upper bass shelving? Also what about headphones that have a bump or dip at 500 Hz? You realise it is just one choice which has also several disadvantages and there is not a unique optimal solution like also Oratory, who you like to quote, writes:

Sean didn't even know the correct frequency and initially repeatedly wrote 800 Hz, so much about the choice being "his". Also in a quick search for IEC standards I didn't find a paragraph which says that for comparative plots only 500 Hz anchor should be used and a reasoning behind it, maybe you can shed some light there by posting it here?
You can PM Sean with your grievances / to learn more.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can PM Sean with your grievances / to learn more.
You are the one who just reposted his "Twitter science" and as expected there seems to be no real knowledge behind.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, if we define it as literally "shouting" then ok, 1-2 kHz maybe. But that's not where the Lion's share of the problems are with this earphone. In fact I don't use the 1 kHz filter anymore, like seen in Maiky's EQ.

I think Crinacle has it right with the general 1-6 kHz range, because I can dramatically alter the tonality of singer's voices all within that range. If the curve isn't right, you can end up with a very in-your-face and tonally wrong sound. As evidenced by the stock tuning.

Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor
I didn't actually notice they had such low impedance, guess I should read Amir's reviews more carefully. I was pretty confused why my EQ preset based on Crinacle's measurements was just sounding way off in the bass region, but chalked it up to the measurement... guess my laptop's headphone jack isn't quite apple dongle league.
Yep PCs and laptops can have crazy high output impedances on their headphone jacks. And sometimes even hidden 'sound enhancements' that muck up everything further. They can't really be relied upon to judge a headphone's actual stock sound unless you know their measurements.

Was the cocha component of the ear gain as labeled in this graph a variable that was tested in determining preferences? If not, seems like it was worth exploring.
Ear-resonance.jpg

As that seems to be the most contentious part of the Harman IEM target beside bass region, given that SO many IEMs that have gained large followings systematically undershoot the Harman target there to various degrees.
A large following is not a reliable indicator of how good a headphone/IEM sounds. Harman's research found IEM frequency responses lacking in 'concha gain' (as Etymotics do) did not receive high ratings from listeners in blind tests:
Screenshot_20221117_023725.png

And they found the Harman target (which obviously does have significant concha gain) was preferred to the frequency response of every one of a whole range of 30 different IEM models of various design (dynamic/balanced armature, single/multi-way) from 19 different manufacturers, ranging in price from $26-$1000.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting how this term is used so widely in audio these days, without definition. My initial though on when I read this is that it would be more around the 1-2k area. A quick rough search had some saying 1-2k, 2-4k, and even 4-8k (I think that last one is way too high—really hard to get anything resembling a shout out of 6-8k! Are they thinking "shrill"?).

"Shout" is a vocal property, so I'll start there. I realize "shouty" might be defined more a property strong harmonics as opposed to the fundamental, but it might help to relate the fundamental to the piano, and then consider the first few harmonics as integer multiples of that frequency. Sting's "Rock-san" is 440 Hz, so the next harmonics are 880, 1320, 1760, 2160... Now, I think that note, yelled, is more screech than shout, but I'm start high on purpose. A high shout for me is closer to 300 Hz (600, 900, 1200, 1500, 1800...), so that 1-2k is not looking bad to me—for my idea of "shouty", at least. That would translate into a loud and wide-open-mouthed shout that boosts some of those mid-range harmonics, beyond what you'd get with a normal voice.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that this is such a subjective term. On the one hand, I would say that from my experience mixing vocals, up near 6k is where I might want to boost for articulation, and there doesn't seem to be much oomph there. On the other, if it's broad enough and strong enough boost 4-6k, I can understand why you might think of it as shouty—it would be like someone who is exceptionally close to your ear, and loud.

Obviously, stating frequency ranges is less ambiguous, but that's not such an easy call for people who don't spend a lot of time with audio signals and filters. :p
I've always thought of shouty as 1-3kHz, basically from the start of the pinna gain to the highest point of the pinna gain, following pic just to show Harman Curve for people to see where I'm talking about:
Dan Clark Stealth Frequency Response Measurements.png

DickJonesBrazil

Hello my friends, I created this account to try to help those who, like me, were not satisfied with not finding the quality that this in ear claims to have.
At first I found it unidimensional, without a stage, with the sub bass increased not exactly in the region that I like. My cheaper Tripowin Lea felt so much more confortable in all senses. I was used to its calm vibes.
Depending on the ear tip used, this phone is shouty and so I cannot increase the volume because it causes fatigue in me (39M).
I switched to the medium size ear tip with the smaller diameter and VOILÁ now the phone is usable for long work sessions.
Even so, this in ear unfortunately didn't please me as I expected, deep down I'm understanding that I like more natural and calm headphones, which try to get closer to the sound that would be heard with quality speakers.

Community Verified icon

Last edited:

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think many realize that any reviews of fit posted will be from people with problems—not much reason for people to post that everything’s fine with them. But reading these sure makes me feel lucky. I opened the box and tried smaller tips, they weren’t tight enough. I tried one of the larger sizes, perfect (coincidentally, these were the sizes Amir tested with, then listened with, respectively).

They go all the way in, stay there, I can lift weights with them, sweat with them on the stationary bike, I never have to push them back in, and they don’t fatigue my ears at all.

So I’m just happy to feel incredibly lucky to not have finicky ear canals. But for those who aren’t so lucky, it could be worse:

A man who thought he was going deaf has discovered that part of an earbud had been lodged in his ear for five years. :p

(I’ve posted about my feelings on the frequency response, but in a nut shell, yes, small tweaks to the lows and mids are an incremental improvement, but I’m comfortable with using them as-is—the variations in top-tier recordings are on the same order, so the degree of improvement with a given tweak really depends on what I’m listening to. We adapt with familiarity, so I find these close enough. And to get it at an impulse buy price makes me smile.)

Top Bottom