• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

Oso Polar

finicky ear canals
Lets call things what they are - these IEMs have bad ergonomics, seriously bad. The body is big, the nozzle diameter is huge and IMHO the nozzle angle is not the best either. I have quite big ear canals, had many different IEMs over the years and typically use large size of ear tips, sometimes medium. I've never ever had issues with any IEMs not fitting inside my ear canals. But I remember that sometimes I needed to find another ear tips because the biggest bundled ones were not big enough. I find Etymotic ER4XR to be very comfortable. Now, with TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero I can get a decent seal with the small ear tips. Medium tips do seal a bit better for me but require a very careful slow insertion procedure (pulling up the ear + opening the mouth is mandatory), otherwise they start to cause pressure very soon. So, yeah, if you have ears and ear canals on a bigger side, you'll probably be fine, especially if you'll be lucky to match the angle of the nozzles. However, and here comes the educated guess, if you typically use small ear tips then you'll need a hammer to make these fit inside your ears. This is what it is, nothing to do with finicky ear canals, everything to do with the way they are made - they will not fit many people because of their shape and size, which is not great and too big in general. IMHO they might have improved the situation a lot have they made these huge nozzles moveable (like on VSonic GR07), so they at least can be adjusted to fit better, but they didn't, so we have, what we have.

I do, however, like how they sound. Even though I do find them a bit shouty and lucking sub-bass, and prefer to EQ them a bit, I still think they are perfectly listenable without EQ and these are just nitpicks given their price. Unfortunately, due to their fit they may not work for many, which is a real pity and a lost opportunity.

Alexium

I have a small(ish) head, and still the Zeros are comfortable. They were somewhat uncomfortable for the ear canals the first two or three days, but now I don't feel them anymore. And they have less of a tendency to back out than my previous IEMs.

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lets call things what they are - these IEMs have bad ergonomics, seriously bad.
I assume you mean "let's", as in let us, you and me. No, you'll have to "call things" that way with other like-minded people, not me. They are perfect fit for me, I could wear them for hours in perfect comfort and fit, so obviously I'm not going call them "seriously bad".

But the point of the post was "one man's opinion", to go in the soup with opposing opinions on fit by a number of people here. And for them, and you, they and you are right. As I said, I feel lucky to not be in the shoes of people struggling with fit.

I have no stake in this product, if it fails because it's a dreadful fit for too many people, so be it—I already paid my $50 and got a great sounding and useful piece of gear for myself. :D If me saying they are a great fit for me, personally, causes someone to spend $50 and be disappointed (and probably a few who are appreciative), well, I won't take too much blame, because Amir already caused a lot of people to buy them (thanks Amir!). :)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume you mean "let's", as in let us, you and me. No, you'll have to "call things" that way with other like-minded people, not me. They are perfect fit for me, I could wear them for hours in perfect comfort and fit, so obviously I'm not going call them "seriously bad".

But the point of the post was "one man's opinion", to go in the soup with opposing opinions on fit by a number of people here. And for them, and you, they and you are right. As I said, I feel lucky to not be in the shoes of people struggling with fit.

I have no stake in this product, if it fails because it's a dreadful fit for too many people, so be it—I already paid my $50 and got a great sounding and useful piece of gear for myself. :D If me saying they are a great fit for me, personally, causes someone to spend $50 and be disappointed (and probably a few who are appreciative), well, I won't take too much blame, because Amir already caused a lot of people to buy them (thanks Amir!). :)
+1

I wonder if it is possible with IEMs, to have one design to fit everybody's ear shape...

So far bought 10, yes, 10. I have a pair the others were gifts. Everyone seem pleased. One audiophile cousin (you know, the type with Monoblock amplifiers and Panel speakers) is having his audiophile worldview shaken... :D.

Peace.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lets call things what they are - these IEMs have bad ergonomics, seriously bad. The body is big, the nozzle diameter is huge and IMHO the nozzle angle is not the best either. I have quite big ear canals, had many different IEMs over the years and typically use large size of ear tips, sometimes medium. I've never ever had issues with any IEMs not fitting inside my ear canals. But I remember that sometimes I needed to find another ear tips because the biggest bundled ones were not big enough. I find Etymotic ER4XR to be very comfortable. Now, with TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero I can get a decent seal with the small ear tips. Medium tips do seal a bit better for me but require a very careful slow insertion procedure (pulling up the ear + opening the mouth is mandatory), otherwise they start to cause pressure very soon. So, yeah, if you have ears and ear canals on a bigger side, you'll probably be fine, especially if you'll be lucky to match the angle of the nozzles. However, and here comes the educated guess, if you typically use small ear tips then you'll need a hammer to make these fit inside your ears. This is what it is, nothing to do with finicky ear canals, everything to do with the way they are made - they will not fit many people because of their shape and size, which is not great and too big in general. IMHO they might have improved the situation a lot have they made these huge nozzles moveable (like on VSonic GR07), so they at least can be adjusted to fit better, but they didn't, so we have, what we have.

I do, however, like how they sound. Even though I do find them a bit shouty and lucking sub-bass, and prefer to EQ them a bit, I still think they are perfectly listenable without EQ and these are just nitpicks given their price. Unfortunately, due to their fit they may not work for many, which is a real pity and a lost opportunity.
They're for sure causing problems for some people, like for me they irritated my ears but I thought that was just because I'm a complete IEM newbie (as in I just assumed all IEM's will cause that problem for me).....and for sure they're not alright for you and a few others that have mentioned discomfort with these IEM's, but I wouldn't say there's been loads of reports of problems - on balance I'd say there's a lot more people happy with this IEM in terms of fit & also performance than people who are not happy.

Last edited:

vitalii427

Forum Donor
+1

I wonder with IEM if it is possible to have one design to fit everybody's ear shape... the tips

So far bought 10, yes, 10. I have a pair the others were gifts. Everyone seem pleased. One audiophile cousin (you know, the type with Monoblock amplifiers and Panel speakers) is having his audiophile worldview shaken... :D.

Peace.
I'm only 3, one for myself other as gifts. And I'm going to order 3-5 more at black friday

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have trouble with the comfort of the Truthear Zeros, and/or find them too bright and don't have access to EQ, look at the Moondrop Aria.

graph.png

design-medium.jpg

fit-2.jpg

muza_1

I found the Zeros very comfortable, they are lightweight and I do not feel any pressure or irritation. Yes they are big and stick a bit but that is no a problem for me.

Also I have them equalized to the Harman curve (up to 6kHz) using Armin's measurements and found them quite pleasing and neutral.

xavx

Agree with you, wrote also some critics about the ergonomics of these Truthear. 1st IEM in around 15 years that I couldn't tolerate and had to return.
IMO and if they don't fit, the Truthear are a good way to discourage people not used to IEMs to try others given the pain they can cause.
People able to tolerate them or find them comfortable are lucky but my guess is they would find plenty of other IEMs more comfortable.
Suggest you try the 7Hz Zero - they don't have a dedicated subwoofer but sound more open, are close to Harman too and won't damage your ear canals.

itwasluck

The Truthear x Crinacle Zero aren't that uncomfortable, they are definitely big but I have had no issues after swapping to CP-145s. I can wear these for hours without a problem. They aren't so bad that you would have to be "lucky" to have a good fit. These should fit the majority of people. Being big isn't necessarily a bad thing, these are quite comfortable because of how light they are in contrast to something like the IER-Z1R which because of the metal housing, IS heavy and uncomfortable.

Chyżwar

For me, the Aria is one of the most uncomfortable headphones I've tried. And the sound (without EQ) is bad IMHO, muddy and dark but at the same time with a nasty peak in the upper treble. I like the Truthear Zero much more. The only reason I still keep the Aria is because of the big soundstage, which is fun for some types of music.

asrUser

The shell of Arias are smaller, nozzle is shorter and less thick. No idea how you think the Zero to be more comfortable. Did you try all eartips? Maybe you did not insert them into your ears properly?

Chyżwar

I'd also rate Aria's comfort factor below the Truthears for my ears, which actually work very well for me ergonomically.
I guess the moral of the story is buy IEMs from somewhere that makes returns easy.

Yeah, comfort is a very subjective thing. In fact, everyone has a different ear shape, even identical twins, so there is no such thing as a comfortable headphone for everyone :)

oleg87

The shell of Arias are smaller, nozzle is shorter and less thick. No idea how you think the Zero to be more comfortable. Did you try all eartips? Maybe you did not insert them into your ears properly?
Yeah, something about the shape or material just isn't conducive to keeping a good seal. Had better luck swapping them with the Chu spring tips (though they slightly alter the tonality in a direction I don't like). Also, being metal-bodied, don't like how cold they are when you put them on, but I supose that's a temporary discomfort.

itwasluck

Yeah, comfort is a very subjective thing. In fact, everyone has a different ear shape, even identical twins, so there is no such thing as a comfortable headphone for everyone :)
Exactly which is why I find it odd how some people generalize and say that an IEM would be uncomfortable for the majority. The Zero just came out but it's not known for being uncomfortable vs something like the IER-Z1R.

Pegwill

Hi Guys

Sorry if I have missed this in a previous post but does anybody know where I can purchase some rubber tips, not even sure if that’s what they are called. The ones supplied have split, they don’t seem to be very robust, i’m Using the smallest size at present.

Many thanks

Have a good week end

Regards

Pegwill

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Guys

Sorry if I have missed this in a previous post but does anybody know where I can purchase some rubber tips, not even sure if that’s what they are called. The ones supplied have split, they don’t seem to be very robust, i’m Using the smallest size at present.

Many thanks

Have a good week end

Regards

Pegwill
The bad news- I dont think you can buy the ones that come with the Zero separately (at least, not branded as such)

The good news- there are better out there. The wide bore of the nozzle means buying cheapo sets of silicone tips from amazon or elsewhere might not get you success.

I can guarantee if you look on Amazon or Aliexpress you will find Spinfit CP155 that for me are the best I have tried for these. The 155 refers to the diameter of the tube that attaches to the barrel of the IEM but the outer flange comes in 3 different sizes. S M and L.

Rule out the largest size if you currently use small but after that I cant tell you whether to try S or M and they are not cheap so buying a pair of each will likely cost 50% as much as the IEM themselves.

Others may have some better value solutions.

Pegwill

The bad news- I dont think you can buy the ones that come with the Zero separately (at least, not branded as such)

The good news- there are better out there. The wide bore of the nozzle means buying cheapo sets of silicone tips from amazon or elsewhere might not get you success.

I can guarantee if you look on Amazon or Aliexpress you will find Spinfit CP155 that for me are the best I have tried for these. The 155 refers to the diameter of the tube that attaches to the barrel of the IEM but the outer flange comes in 3 different sizes. S M and L.

Rule out the largest size if you currently use small but after that I cant tell you whether to try S or M and they are not cheap so buying a pair of each will likely cost 50% as much as the IEM themselves.

Others may have some better value solutions.
I

Top Bottom